Hides for sub-adults/adults

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
What kinds of hides should be used and/or avoided for sub-adult/adult sized tarantulas?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I use cork rounds and cracked terracotta pots mostly.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Make sure it isn't very large. Adult spiders like their hides snug just as much as younger spiders. A half round piece of bark, half a terracotta flowerpot or plastic one. There are half log hides as well, and a lot of premade ceramic/stone/wood ones.
Whichever you choose, make sure it is half buried in the substrate, and that there is room for burrowing under. Don't buy something that is round or with a bottom that prevents the spider from burrowing down.
Anything is possible really, it depends on how you would like the enclosure to look :).

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I love cork bark. I get my local garden centre to order it in for me. Half the price of buying at reptile supply shops.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Cork bark obviously

My favorite is to get a terracotta pot, smash it and then hot glue it back together.

I get two hides, I get to smash something, and I get to use hot glue... win/win/win for me.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I use a lot of cork bark, but I also have several containers with PVC elbows that you can get at a hardware store. Aesthetically speaking, not as nice looking in the natural look, but they are functional.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I scavenged some bark from a fallen tree, soaked it in hot water for a few minutes, then baked it in the oven at 350° until it was dried out. I use pieces of that and hot glue them into half-round hides. I add moss and plants as well.

These are in predominantly dry enclosures for arid species. For spiders requiring more moisture, I'd prefer cork bark like most other keepers. Otherwise, this saves me a significant amount of money on my arid enclosures.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Broken terra cotta pots. I use that for 100% of all spiders... well, the terrestrials at least. If I could find an appropriate one for arboreals, I'd use it.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
If you go to Home Depot,these are in the garden section.Fiber material,all natural and organic to boot.
Just don't get them real wet with spray or misting.Easy to cut in half with scissors.And they are cheap
on top of that.They are seedling starter pots.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
And a pic for reference.M.meslomeas,waitin for dinner.
Lousey pic,but you get the idea.
Great,butchered M.mesomelas.Been a long day.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I use all kinds of things. My arboreals get cork rounds (for a treehouse setup) or halves.

My terrestrials get whatever I can find around the house that is not too hard, heavy, or sharp. (Heavy should be avoided in case the tarantula undermines the hide while burrowing.)

My husband had a couple of extra "waste" caps cut off from pipe flashing, which I used as hides for my pulchras. (I like that they are soft, light, and have a sloped shape.) They are too expensive to buy just for this use, but if you know anyone who does metal roofing work, these pieces would ordinarily be thrown away.

I have also used these silicone candy molds as hides and water dishes for slings > 1". (The part that I cut off to leave the hide open at the back can be used as a sloping water dish for slings.)

(These silicone treat molds make nice soft water dishes -- no hard edge to fall onto.)

I'm glad no one at Michaels has asked me what I'm making. :cool:

Last edited:

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Cork bark. Either flat pieces or tube shapes. For water dishes I started using little glazed dishes that are for sushi/soy sauce (for adult Ts).

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
What kind of T? Is it a terrestrial?
For arid terrestrials I use wood half-hides. If it's a moisture dependent variety, I would go for cork bark or anything that won't mould easily.
Pix???