HID Lighting and Tarantulas?

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
I live in a small apartment. My boyfriend is a registered medical marijuana caregiver. He hooked up a new growing light in the laundry room...and because of how big and bright it is some of the light leaves the room through the doorway and shines in to but not directly on a few of my T's. I know that tarantulas are nocturnal, so I know they cant appreciate this too much, but because my apartment is so small, its hardly unavoidable. Now, this particular light is a HID (High Intensity Discharge) metal halide and its an incredibly bright white at 1000w.

What I dont know is

Does this particular type of light contain any UVB? I know that direct sunlight is not good for T's..but this isnt necessarily direct..nor is it actual sunlight.

Is this light harming them? Or just annoying them?

The T's whose tanks the light hits do have hides in them, but they dont run to them when the light is on.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldnt say its harming them. Maybe annoying yes. Either way, unless your tarantulas are acting stressed out(IE- sitting in corners curled up) then I wouldnt worry so much.

Also you might check into getting some mylar sheets to reflect the light back into the room.

Noy sure of your setup, but mylar can help alot.

I grow peppers every year, I start them indoors right next to my tarantulas. The light doesnt seem to bother them. But I also use mylar.

here is a picture of my pepper plants with the mylar I was talking about.

the stuff I used was actually an emergency heat blanket sold in walmart, but its made of mylar.

Hope this helps.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mmmm peppers..... define curled up in the corner? My whiteknee tends to sit in the corner of her habitat on the side of the enclosure. I wouldn't consider her curled up, but she does bring her front legs close to her body at times.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
I wouldnt say its harming them. Maybe annoying yes. Either way, unless your tarantulas are acting stressed out(IE- sitting in corners curled up) then I wouldnt worry so much.

Also you might check into getting some mylar sheets to reflect the light back into the room.

Noy sure of your setup, but mylar can help alot.

I grow peppers every year, I start them indoors right next to my tarantulas. The light doesnt seem to bother them. But I also use mylar.

here is a picture of my pepper plants with the mylar I was talking about.

the stuff I used was actually an emergency heat blanket sold in walmart, but its made of mylar.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Cody, the mylar is a good idea..but your not using the same type of light that I am. Mine is way bigger and brighter...I googled HID lighting and UVB and it says that almost all HID lights contain some UV rays..which isnt good for T's..but Id like to hear it from someone on here also.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Hi,
The UV wont be an issue. Im presuming it has a cover glass - wont be able to penetrate that.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ I am very aware of Metal halide lights. ;)

HID lighting is nothing new to me either.

UVB rays shouldnt be bad for tarantulas. The metal halide and or HPS lights shouldnt emit enough UV rays to be dangereous.

if anything your Ts colors may fade a little quicker than usual but, thats only if they are get the light shined right in on them 24/7.

just to be safe you cant move them to another location in the house?

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Hi,
The UV wont be an issue. Im presuming it has a cover glass - wont be able to penetrate that.
thats true. but cant UV rays go through some types of glass, and plastic?

Mez

Arachnoknight
I think so, but im unsure of which types, ive only ever used halides and they have been made specifically for use in aquatics/corals, where UV would be a negative.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,
This isn't true. Uv requires special glass or filters. It does get through. It is not great for them, but I'd be more worried about you. You are supposed to wear protective glasses around those things. Don't look right at it.

If you look up UV protective glasses you will see. They're cheap btw, but the glass is not. I like the idea of the mylar, that's just wasted light otherwise. :)

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

I think so, but im unsure of which types, ive only ever used halides and they have been made specifically for use in aquatics/corals, where UV would be a negative.
lots of aquatic lights have uv. Most I think. I've looked at them before for growing tomatoes.