Hi I'm new with a molting question

TarantulaMan

Banned
Is it really important to have the temp. really high when you molt and I have moved my chilean rose hair from cage to cage not knowing if its good for him to be in a small one or a large one and since all of the moving Im scared to pick him up because I think he's gonna bite me. can someone answer and help please?:confused:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have been moving your spider while it is molting? That is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have no fear, you've come to the right place for information. You can do a search on the bottom of the screen in the Tarantula forum to find previous threads on molting. There is also probably good information in the care sheets. As a general rule, don't mess with them while they are molting unless there is a problem and only if you KNOW there is a problem. The requirements would depend on the species, but humidity seems to be more of a factor than heat... providing you are keeping it at the correct temp for the species. You will be able to find useful information in care sheets. Aside from that, visit this site often and read the posts. You'll learn a lot real fast. Once you've got your basics down, specific information from experienced experts will be at your fingertips.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Temp is largely irrelevant with most pet T species (your rosea among them). Anything in the 70-90 range is fine and, unless you can find a reputable source of information saying a particular species *needs* a high temp (or even low temp), don't believe anyone who is trying to sell you on the idea of heated spider rooms and under substrate heating coils, etc. All my Ts are at room temp (~72 in winter, ~76 in summer) and do fine (and I've kept them at RT for the better part of two decades).

So, to answer you question in brief: it's not important to worry about temp for moulting.

Keep a rosea with a water source and some occasional misting at room temp and it will live a long spiderly life most likely.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
I don't know how big the small and large containers are, but generally a T will be just as happy in a small one. The large one may be too big, but since you haven't told how large they are, I'm not gonna make assumptions.
btw. Welcome! I have found this board to be a very useful source of information!
greetz,
Joost

TarantulaMan

Banned
Sorry to throw u guys off but she didnt molt yet but I moves him alot not knowing whats best for her and I think she'll bite if I try to handle her:( . I put her back in the 10 gal. tank but she wants to climb the walls but she cant climb glass.
Any Suggestions???

btw my rosea has like a crack thing in the middle of her body.she's not injured it just got their and theirs a crack going horizontal on her too at the side of the head.

P.S. I have say a 3 gal. and a 10 gal. arachnojoost

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
About the tank sizes: this took a bit of calculating for me, because I'm not quite at home with the gallon scales, so I had to convert it in liters. I think the 10 gallon is a nice-sized enclosure for your rosie, don't know if the 3 gallon is enough, I'll leave that one for the more experienced.
about the wallclimbing: My rosie will also try this (and since the glass is ready to be cleaned, she sometimes succeeds, but she can't fall far). I've heard stories that this could be associated with the humidity being too high (I now try to keep it as dry as possible with only a water dish and no misting).
I don't quite understand the remark about the 'cracks', but if you mean the cracks that radiate from the 'hole' in the cephalothorax: that's perfectly normal, if you look at pics from different t's you will notice them also.
Hope I've helped you out a little :)
greetz,
Joost

TarantulaMan

Banned
thanx

thanx alot arachnojoost you helped alot and the rest of you guys as well,and with the cracks I mean its like a split alittle above the legs on the celephathorax all around it like its about to fall off.

is she molting?:confused:

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
Now I know what you are talking about :)
I don't think that is a sign that it is molting, I guess it's always there, but you usually can't see it because of the legs obstructing the view.
...after some long thinking: well maybe (just a wild thought) that crack will get bigger with an upcoming molt, because the new cephalothorax is forming underneath, but that's just my idea, I've never heard of this
By the way: I guess your rosie isn't eating? If it isn't, that would not directly point to an upcoming molt, rosies sometimes go on long unexplained fasts.
Greetz,
Joost

TarantulaMan

Banned
no she isnt

she isnt eating at all I tried to put crickets other spiders (orb weavers) and moths in their and she runs away from it.
And thanx alot for the help:D