Hi I am new to the hobbie and I had a question about Exo Terra Night-glo bulb

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Michiel,
In terms of disrupting the scorpions day/night cycle, wouldn’t IR lights or ordinary red bulbs be just as bad? IR lights also emit light that is outside the IR spectrum and in the visible range. This is obvious just by looking at an IR light. When the IR bulb is turned on it produces light that we humans can see. Humans can’t see IR so therefore some of the light they produce is not IR. Wouldn’t this visible light have the same affect on scorpions as the light from any other non UV bulb that produces light in the visible spectrum? If things should be absolutely moonless for scorpions then it would seem that the only effective heating devices are those that don’t emit any light at all like heat pads, ceramic heat emitters and heat cables.
I am not a "lightologist" so I can just say what I know about scorpions and how I keep them. After this, that is end of discussion for me.

I use plain ordinary red light bulbs and heat cables to heat my enclosures...Scorpions will behave normal in this type of light and it does not disrupt their cyrcadian rythms...This means that the scorpions are still hidden most of the day and will come out at night, without being bothered by the red light.

All these UV, Moonlight, Sun-Glo, Daylight and who knows what for flashy names and crap are more for reptiles, fish, living plants, but not for our arthropod hobby. It is just irrelevant....
The sad thing is that noobs buy these lamps because people in pet shops tell them they need them, CAT-CHING!

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
I am not a "lightologist" so I can just say what I know about scorpions and how I keep them. After this, that is end of discussion for me.

I use plain ordinary red light bulbs and heat cables to heat my enclosures...Scorpions will behave normal in this type of light and it does not disrupt their cyrcadian rythms...This means that the scorpions are still hidden most of the day and will come out at night, without being bothered by the red light.

All these UV, Moonlight, Sun-Glo, Daylight and who knows what for flashy names and crap are more for reptiles, fish, living plants, but not for our arthropod hobby. It is just irrelevant....
The sad thing is that noobs buy these lamps because people in pet shops tell them they need them, CAT-CHING!
That’s true about a lot of the fancy lights being expensive and generally not geared toward our hobby. I got lucky and the Night Glo bulb I bought was only $3.50. I guess the main point I was trying to make was that with no UV rays being emitted from the Night Glo bulb the only difference that I can see between it and an ordinary red light bulb is the color. I have used both red and blue bulbs to heat my enclosures and haven’t noticed any difference in scorpion behavior.
To answer the main question Roblicious had as to if they are safe for your scorpion, I would say based on the information on the eco-terra website, they don’t emit UV rays and shouldn’t harm your scorpions.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah for some reason people think it emits UV rays despite the fact that the sheet says it doesnt and they think it lies for some reason cause they think Exo is just out to make money and dont care about anything else lol
/tangent

I dont use my canopy lamp that came with my enclosure anymore anyways I have 2 50w IR light shining down 24/7 in both my exo terra enclosures just for the sheer fact I cant put a 50w in the canopy one (max is 25w)

temp is around 80-85 in my emp and i am guessing 80 in my red claws.

I aim them away from my bed so they dont bother me as much lol