Heteroscudra maculata

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heteroscodra maculata

Considering one of these, but I couldn't find much info about them on the web.
Seems there are a few keeping them in here, and I was curious on some trivia on them. Temper, how big they get etc. :razz: Anyone like to share?

Last edited:

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never had one, but from what I've heard they are lightning quick and can be agressive.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they arent aggressive, they are skittish. So long as you are careful when doing minor maintanence they wont bother you. Cage changing can be a little tough when they are full grown, but its nothing horrible.

Slings are fast but thats really the only problem. They are a gorgeous T just treat it with the respect you would give any of the more advanced (for lack of a better term) T.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow! That little mac is FAST!

This was the 1st spider I considered getting... good thing I didn't!

Can all arboreal T's jump?

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, I have seen mine do a good jump when I was doing some cage maintenance, and she is definitely quick. The venom is more potent than usual.....

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Like everyone else has said, just be careful and give it respect. Always know where it is when doing tank maintenance and try to do all maintenance and feeding in the daytime (when they'll be in their shelter snoozing).
I don't know if mine was just your typical H.mac or a little angel, but as I was tearing apart his home and packing up my 2" maculata this morning it took me forever to nudge him into the vial with a pipe cleaner (he was an absolute pet rock and wouldn't move, despite the fact that a giant pipe cleaner was demolishing his shelter and nudging him in the rear). {D Never seen him give a threat display or freak out at all. Miss him already. :D So I think people make too big a deal of OWs. They're not little crazy devils who are looking to bite you. They just wanna hide. ;)

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys.
I'll have it delivered in a week or two.
It was either this or a B.emilia. I really want an emilia, but i guess I was more tempted by this right now.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Wow an B. emilia or an H. maculata hmm
OW everytime..

I have two and they are FAR more skittish than most of my T's

I do however have an OBT that makes the reputation look reserved.

It struck repeatedly at nothing, after I added some water..

this is one over acheiver in the defensive category :)

Last edited:

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I raised 10 small spiderlings from a franken-lot (hardly 25 legs between them) that I picked up from "OldHag" on this board. Every one of them did well with minimum special care...in fact, no special care. They ate, made nice extensive burrows, and grew. They seem to be quite forgiving captives...

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW:eek: :eek: I would NEVER handle an H. Mac! that video was insane! My heart would skip a beat every time that thing jumped.