• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Heteroscodra maculata

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, i'm fine now besides various aches and pains, I'll let you guys know what happend then i'll post a bite report.

Anyway, the bite happened at 8:30 pm. I was taking a roach out and for once wasn't paying any attention to the spider which was at the top of the cage. While in the process of getting the lobster roach out it fell off the top of the cage on my hand and it ran off. Wasn't sure if it bit me or not, so I got the roach out after a few more minutes.

9:00pm. I'm feeling pains in my hand, and my fingertips are tinglng. It hurts alittle but not bad or anything.

10:00pm. The pain in my fingers and hand is gone, I thought everything was over.

12:10am. I was on the computer, at arachnopets.com and all of a sudden my eyes got blurry and my heart started beating very very hard and fast. I thought it was going to pop, it was amazing really.

1:00am. (At the hospital)I'm feeling pains in my head, feels like the veins are pulsating, like they are beating too hard for them to be able to handle, like a pressure type of hurt. It spread from the back of my head around to my temples.

1:30am. Talking to the nurses and one didn't like this type of stuff but was very interested, one was afraid of anything that crawles, and one was from arizona and was used to scorpians(a little off track I know).

2:53am. The doctor called us back, he said tarantulas aren't very venomous and the bites are nothing to worry about (Then I told him what I knew about Poecilotheria and Stromatopelma, aparently Heteroscodra has similar affects to Stromatopelma) he shrugged it off and mentioned histamine (well, I did as he was talking slow so I finished his sentence). He wrote me off and sent me home.

3:30am. Back at home. The pains are virtually gone.

11:30pm. next day. My index finger on my left hand is very sore(I wonder why?).

Thats about it.

It only must have bit me in a fraction of a sec. and the effects were pretty bad. I don't want to think about a 6in. H. maculata holding on! Apparently you can't be allergic until you get bit before and the histamine weakins your system. I just see it as a learning experience . I think I should note that despite my parents yelling their asses off at midnight I did stay calm through the whole experience. I'm 6'2" and 150 lbs.

Steve

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My first bite - ever - and it just had to be this species... :rolleyes:

I had a ~0.5" H. maculata escape from a vial several months ago. I came across it in my closet once (it escaped from a shelf just beside the closet) but wasn't able to catch it.

After not seeing it for quite some time, I assumed it to be dead until I found a molted skin on one of my shirts (molt measured about 0.5") last week. I was going to strip the entire closet, but by yesterday I had only just patted everything down and tried to "shake down" some of the stuff with no luck. I also stuck several sticky fly-traps in the closet in the hope that it would stumble across one and get stuck.

Last night I was at the computer when I felt some run across my left foot. I moved suddenly, hitting my foot against the side of the computer desk just as I felt a pin-prick on my foot, just at the top of where my first and second toe meet.

I got the spider (hanging off the side of my foot, looking to be injured) and put it in a vial. It's about only 0.5" - 0.75" and looks to be (understandably) dehydrated.

I didn't feel much at first, but in a few minutes my foot began to throb a bit. I took some Advil before going to bed, but woke up in the middle of the night with the muscles my left leg cramping and my foot feeling a bit numb. The second time I woke up my heart was racing, but I was able to get back to sleep with little problem.

This morning the only effects I've felt are my foot still slightly hurting. I went for a run and only got about halfway through it due to the slight throbbing in my foot and leg.

Other than that, I feel fine. The sling is still alive, but I'm not sure it's going to make it.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Full size female :)

It was around 6AM trying to gather all my arachnids for the Rep show and she was the last gal I had to get. I've handled her before without worry, just concerned about her ability to teleport.
Anyways, she was in her cork board tree tube and I had the deli container at the end she was facing and pushed from behind her. She gently crawled into the deli, as I was sliding the lid on she pounced out and to the ground.
Now at this point she is pissed,so I cup her with the deli and flip it over (not thinking to slide the lid under, it was early 3 hrs of sleep) she crawls out puts the death grip on my thumb right above the knuckle.

Took about 30 seconds to feel the pain, which soon became excruciating. I'm not a panicky person so this was not a huge deal. Every 5 minutes or so I could feel the venom which I can only describe as someone injecting me with bleach. I could feel it creep inch by inch up my arm through all my veins and an 1hr later it was in my chest and was making breathing a little painful. It wore off about 5-6 hours later but my thumb is still in pain and stiff and its been 5 days now!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
0.5" H. maculata sling bit me at the base of my thumb on my right hand. There was an immediate sharp pain, and the area began to turn red and swell very rapidly. About 10 seconds after the bite, a burning pain set in, and the sharp pain was still present (and still is now, 10 minutes after the bite). There is a slight numbness around the entire thumb.

Approximately 60 minutes post-bite: redness and swelling still present, pain reduced to sporadic throbbing.

3 hours post-bite: the pain has subsided, and the only sign of the bite left is a little red patch. Do note that this was a tiny sling! I don't think I'll want to get bitten by a 5" adult.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
0.5" H. maculata sling bit me at the base of my thumb on my right hand. There was an immediate sharp pain, and the area began to turn red and swell very rapidly. About 10 seconds after the bite, a burning pain set in, and the sharp pain was still present (and still is now, 10 minutes after the bite). There is a slight numbness around the entire thumb.

Approximately 60 minutes post-bite: redness and swelling still present, pain reduced to sporadic throbbing.

3 hours post-bite: the pain has subsided, and the only sign of the bite left is a little red patch. Do note that this was a tiny sling! I don't think I'll want to get bitten by a 5" adult.
I thoroughly underestimated this spider's venom. 3 days after the bite, I developed muscle cramps all over my back, and the level of pain was unprecedented - I'd never had such severe back pain before. 6 days after the bite, I woke up in the morning feeling nauseous, and today, 7 days post-bite, I'm still feeling nauseous. The muscle pain is also still present. Mind you, this was a 0.5" sling! Clearly a spider not to be messed with.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
0.5" Specimen

First bite ever. :rolleyes:

Tagged by this little guy as I was unpacking him. He sprinted up my arm, and in a moment of genius, decided to try to pinch grab him. :p

Bit down on the area around my elbow (not directly on the elbow).

Immediate stinging sensation that lasted about 15 minutes, and then minute, sporadic tingling sensations could be felt around the bite are. The sensations lasted ~2 hours.

After 2.5 hours, all strange feelings were gone. I woke up the next morning and all that was left of the bite was a little red dot.

It is now 4 days post-bite. The reason I waited was to see if I would have the same reaction Gavin did.

Apparently not. Lucky me!

uninterested

Arachnopeon
My H. maculata bite occurred in 2009 but I'll post my recollection here now that I'm an active member:

Was unpacking a shipment of H. macs straight from Africa. When shipped in they come in tiny little plastic cups with holes soldered into them. So my job was to transfer them out of these cups and into more suitable containers. Anyways, about 100 or so spiders in, one finally manages to run up around the plastic cup and bite my left index finger.

The one that got me was about 2 inches long... luckily it wasn't one of the 5inch brutes. It latched on for a good 2 seconds, then let go and I managed to re-cup it. Immediate pain, which grew and grew with each heartbeat. It felt like every time my heart pumped, boiling water was seeping up through my hand. After about 30 minutes I began to feel a strange numb/tingling sensation moving up my left arm, and it eventually stopped at the shoulder. My hand was very stiff. About 2 hours later the pain started to decrease and the tingling went away. By the time I laid down for bed about 4 hours later the pain was mostly gone but my hand, especially my bitten finger, was still very stiff. When I woke up the pain was gone but my entire body ached like I had the flu. Muscle cramps/joint stiffness and the like. These symptoms lasted throughout the next 2-3 days, each day being less severe until I felt better.

I've been bitten by many creatures and so far I would say this was my worst. I really hope I don't ever have to modify this statement... fingers crossed!

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
15-16+ years, I've never been bitten by a tarantula (once by a centipede). About ten minutes ago I was feeding out my H. macs and a .75 incher runs out of his vial up my arm. Not a big deal, right? Happened to me millions of times... He stops about mid arm, draws his fangs and as I watch in disbelief just starts perforating me.

I feel embarrassed, and some light pain around the affected area. Will update.

11:00PM - Pain remains, feels like pins and needles with a dull ache, mostly localized around the bite. Will update in the AM if the pain doesn't increase.

Update: The pain seemed to subside for the most part by midnight when I dozed off. When I woke up this morning I felt nothing, though if I push on the spot where I was bit it feels tender, and a red spot is still there. Overall not terrible, but I'll certainly be more careful with these guys in the future.

Last edited:

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Got tagged today (Feb. 23) at PetLand hahaa Im very surprised they even had one,
and 10x more surprised the employee not only let me handle BUT Offered!!

5:00Pm: felt a little penetration nothing serious, then got in the car and it swelled up a bit and started to tense!

5:20Pm: Fingertip was numb, and i was feeling this weird pressure where my wrist watch was, like it was kind of too tight there!

5:45Pm: Fingertip was stiff and numb, and pain radiated up my arm in some places untill reaching armpit, and it stung on Armpit.

6:20Pm: Armpit stinging subdued, Although Finger's still a bit stiff and numb.

8:00Pm: FingerTip is a bit numb but mostly tingly. Pain/stinging is virtually gone up arm to armput

Im 5'11 150 lbs

ILL KEEP YA POSTED:

11:00Pm (Feb 23): Pain was virtually gone, yet i researched symptoms are Un-predictable and vary between each person.

1:00Am: I noticed my muscles could cramp a lot easier like my Calf, Foot, Thigh and etc.

(Now) 1:20Pm: Just sore a bit.. Not aching as if I had an intense workout yesterday.

OTHER THEN THAT im fine!

I Also ate quite a bit aswell as i just went grocery shopping! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

TpleaseForMe

Arachnosquire
H. Mac:)

So new to this don't know how to fill it in but here goes.
I'm 20 yrs old, 5'10 150 pounds pretty athletic and healthy got bite round 8:10pm Monday the 29th of april
Specimen is 2-3inch juvie female h.mac was doing enclosure transfer thought I had with catch cup but ran up and tagged right thumb between knuckle and joint little pain and swelling achey body parts like arm, neck, back, chest, and run out of breath easily now. I am a non smoker and don't drink either. So let's see where it goes from him haven't. Taken any advil or anything just gonna sit it out and got work at 5am in the morning so