Heteroscodra maculata sling care

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hey everyone,

I’ve been trying to find straight forward care info on here by searching threads and can’t find anything solid or Just stuff unrelated.

I either find stuff telling the OP not to get it or out dated stuff about misting for humidity.

I am not looking to have the discussion about of why not to get it for all the commonly stated reasons. just want to learn about sling care that’s all because I have read that they are fragile as slings, but no one seems to state what makes them fragile.
I Just want to inform myself if I do even decide to get one down the road! Not saying I am going to.

Here’s what I would like to know that I can’t find clear information on.

1.Do they need more or less room as slings?
2.Do they exhibit any burrowing tendencies as slings, or are they semi arboreal or are they strictly arboreal as slings?
3.Should they be kept on substrate with any moisture, or bone dry?
4. How slow is slow growth for this species? I find the slow growth statement ambiguous and subjective when I see that.
5. What makes them “fragile”?
6. Do they need any specific special care that other arboreal slings do not.?
7. Are they only sexually dimorphic once adults or do they show any signs earlier?

And if anyone has any Info not stated in my questions please feee free to educate me on the husbandry needed to keep this species as slings and into juvenile stages.. Once again not interested in why people wouldn’t get them (ei. Speed, experience level, venom), just want husbandry please!!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
IME

It's a secretive species, amazingly fast (don't get complacent esp as an adult), they benefit from cage furniture that allows them to hide more so than most in my experience, even bamboo poles will work as a vertical hide. The venom isn't weak as I'm sure you know- often regarded as one of the powerful venoms out there. They will be motionless, and in a blink POOF they will take off. It sounds like every other T on the planet, but it's not the case. The more room you provide the better for YOU.

It's a beautiful species. But ask yourself this question- how come they are given out as freebies so often?? You don't see that with too many OWs.

As slings- I didn't have any issues raising. I kept the container a little more moist, not like an OBT. I kept my temps at 75 day/night generally. They are generally good eaters.

Here's documented medical literature on their venom. Normally I don't cite such literature but for this species I feel it's necessary.

The key finding is this below- A MONTH!
"After two weeks the spasms started to recede in an undulating manner, and the patient recovered completely after a month"

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
IME

It's a secretive species, amazingly fast (don't get complacent esp as an adult), they benefit from cage furniture that allows them to hide more so than most in my experience, even bamboo poles will work as a vertical hide. The venom isn't weak as I'm sure you know- often regarded as one of the powerful venoms out there. They will be motionless, and in a blink POOF they will take off. It sounds like every other T on the planet, but it's not the case. The more room you provide the better for YOU.

It's a beautiful species. But ask yourself this question- how come they are given out as freebies so often?? You don't see that with too many OWs.

As slings- I didn't have any issues raising. I kept the container a little more moist, not like an OBT.

Here's documented medical literature on their venom

I’ve seen that research gate article it’s definitely potent. a lot of great articles actually come out of Zurich University.
So why are they so commonly referred to as fragile slings if all they need is a bit of moisture in the substrate?

I’m not even gearing towards getting one, just wanted to learn why they are shrouded in husbandry mystery and referred to as extremely fragile slings.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know. When I raised them, and had my AF- there was no AB I knew of. I only knew 2 people who had Ts- fortunately both were super smart in this area- breeder etc. My formative knowledge is not from the internet at all. So I can't say. By the time the net rolled around etc I was no longer interested in owning H. macs.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Up to you. I tend to house medically significant species in slightly larger containers just so I don't have to rehouse as often. Slings of this species tend to make dirt curtains, so be sure to offer both climbing and burrowing room.

2.Do they exhibit any burrowing tendencies as slings, or are they semi arboreal or are they strictly arboreal as slings?
Like most slings, they will demonstrate burrowing behavior. I've raised about six to adulthood, and all at least utilized a "panic burrow" right up until they were subadults.

Bone dry will kill slings of this species. Mildly damp, not wet, with plenty of ventilation is the way to go.

4. How slow is slow growth for this species? I find the slow growth statement ambiguous and subjective when I see that.
I'd say they're a typical grower. I've seen people call them slow growing as well - not sure where they get that idea. So long as you keep them fed and housed properly, they'll grow at a steady pace.

People want to keep them like a P. murinus, and doing so will 100% kill the spider. On top of that, I've found slings of this species kind of just randomly die. Obviously something is causing the death, but it's beyond me as to what would do it to some slings and not other being kept identically.

Not particularly, no.

7. Are they only sexually dimorphic once adults or do they show any signs earlier?
Only dimorphic at sexual maturity.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know. When I raised them, and had my AF- there was no AB I knew of. I only knew 2 people who had Ts- fortunately both were super smart in this area- breeder etc. My formative knowledge is not from the internet at all. So I can't say. By the time the net rolled around etc I was no longer interested in owning H. macs.
Okay well from what you say I don’t see how they are that difficult or a T. to raise. I really just wanted to know Incase I ever got one as an unexpected freebie, which I have heard has happened. Which is totally messed up on the sellers side.

Up to you. I tend to house medically significant species in slightly larger containers just so I don't have to rehouse as often. Slings of this species tend to make dirt curtains, so be sure to offer both climbing and burrowing room.

Like most slings, they will demonstrate burrowing behavior. I've raised about six to adulthood, and all at least utilized a "panic burrow" right up until they were subadults.

Bone dry will kill slings of this species. Mildly damp, not wet, with plenty of ventilation is the way to go.

I'd say they're a typical grower. I've seen people call them slow growing as well - not sure where they get that idea. So long as you keep them fed and housed properly, they'll grow at a steady pace.

People want to keep them like a P. murinus, and doing so will 100% kill the spider. On top of that, I've found slings of this species kind of just randomly die. Obviously something is causing the death, but it's beyond me as to what would do it to some slings and not other being kept identically.

Not particularly, no.

Only dimorphic at sexual maturity.
Thank you for specifically answering all of my questions!! And nothing else lol! I found that extremely helpful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you for specifically answering all of my questions!! And nothing else lol! I found that extremely helpful.
You bet! There's only a "few" Ts that are more challenging than most as slings. Yeah it's crazy when a seller gives them away, esp as mystery box! I've never dealt with sellers like that. This is the absolute wrong species to give to anyone so casually.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You bet! There's only a "few" Ts that are more challenging than most as slings. Yeah it's crazy when a seller gives them away, esp as mystery box! I've never dealt with sellers like that. This is the absolute wrong species to give to anyone so casually.
This definitely does not sound like one of those more challenging species!
Yeah it is definitely the wrong species to give away, like totally wrong!!! But at least I know now if that day when I get one unexpectedly I won’t kill it out of a husbandry mistake (which I would hate to have happen)

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I have a vague (potentially faulty, it would have been from several years ago when my youngster expressed interest in getting one) memory of reading that they aren't particularly good eaters as slings, perhaps that contributed to their reputation as being "fragile". We did not get one so I can only speak from second or third hand knowledge. He has again expressed interest in them so perhaps in the next year or two I'll upgrade that to first hand. 😮

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Up to you, when I first got mine I housed in 330ml tubs but if I got more I'd just go with 32oz deli cups right off the bat.

House like any other non-Avic arboreal, slings/juvies may burrow and/or make dirt curtains so deeper sub, wide bark, and low level plant cover is preferable.

Slightly moist, not wet, and definitely not bone dry.

They don't put on as much size per moult as Psalmos or Pokies do, it's taken my female just shy of 3 years to reach 4".

They have a narrow range of acceptable husbandry, too dry or too wet and they die really quickly.

Not really as far as I can tell.

Only as mature specimens AFAIK.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I’ve been trying to find straight forward care info on here by searching threads and can’t find anything solid or Just stuff unrelated.
The reason why advanced species don't always come with step by step husbandry instructions is because it is assumed that, by the time you're keeping advanced species, you don't need someone to spell it out for you.
If people require that much detailed husbandry information about this species, then they are likely not equipped with the experience to keep them.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Up to you, when I first got mine I housed in 330ml tubs but if I got more I'd just go with 32oz deli cups right off the bat.

House like any other non-Avic arboreal, slings/juvies may burrow and/or make dirt curtains so deeper sub, wide bark, and low level plant cover is preferable.

Slightly moist, not wet, and definitely not bone dry.

They don't put on as much size per moult as Psalmos or Pokies do, it's taken my female just shy of 3 years to reach 4".

They have a narrow range of acceptable husbandry, too dry or too wet and they die really quickly.

Not really as far as I can tell.

Only as mature specimens AFAIK.
Thank you appreciate the info!!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
looks like your ready for one now, haha.
I’ll pass hahah that’s why I don’t recal this thread cause I’ve never liked them.

I think I was just confused about the contradicting info on AB about them when I had joined abd was looking to clear it up. Even before I joined I was never into them haha.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I’ll pass hahah that’s why I don’t recal this thread cause I’ve never liked them.

I think I was just confused about the contradicting info on AB about them when I had joined abd was looking to clear it up. Even before I joined I was never into them haha.
Its funny to look back at old posts when you first started, I do it from time to time as well.

H. Maculata are beautiful when they get up to juvenile or adult stage.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Its funny to look back at old posts when you first started, I do it from time to time as well.
It really is!! Its wild how much Ive learned, on top of everything before, once I joined 2 years ago!

Yeah they are good looking just not my cup of tea, and I dont have room for more arboreals, I may in 6mo when these two male Psalmopoeus kick the bucket. but I think Ill get other dwarfs when that happens and or leave open spaces for Augacephalus breyeri and A. junodi if they happen to pop up this year.