Heteropoda & Cupiennius growth rate

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'll be getting some Heteropoda lunula & Cupiennius coccineus slings (2nd molt) and was wondering what the growth rate is on these guys? What can I expect if I feed these guys two to three times a week (pinhead crickets with heads curshed?) approx.? How exactly do you guys feed them? I don't have any vials to keep them in, just 2 oz condiment containers and16 oz deli cups, which would you use? How long could I expect a female and male to live respectively?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heteropodas from my experience slow slightly in growth as they age. I would probably say the same for most true spiders. On average, it'll take a C. salei at 2i maybe 6 months or so to mature. @Philth can probably tell you more than I can.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agreed with Grasshopper99, these guys are pretty quick growers. The don't live all that long anyway, but males will have a shorter life span. When they were young I just tossed pinheads in there and they would take care of it. Pretty vicious considering how small they were. The 16oz is probably a little bit, but it'll give them more space to run around. As they get larger you'll want to give them something with more height because they're arboreal.

Toff202

Arachnoknight
I feed my Ctenidae and Sparassidae slings with springtails and fruit flies at first, and switch them to crickets, roaches and mealworms as soon as possible, since springtails and fruit flies lack a lot of nutritions. I feed the slings two times a week, and they molt about once every 3-4 weeks (sometimes even more often). Most are very ferocious eaters and will take big prey items. I've never raised a sling to adult, so I don't have enough experience to tell you about their life expectancy. You have good taste, those are two beautiful species I'd really like to have eventually :)