Heterometrus swammerdami

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anybody know where you can get one of these monsters in the states, and what kinda price they command? I know they're supposed to be the most expensive scorp around even as an instar but what does this mean? Anyway I can still dream, right? ~Rex

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keep yir fingers crossed. I have a couple. Maybe in a few years I can start producing them

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've seen a couple listed on online breeder/seller sites(usually males only)... just couldn't justify the price they wanted for a bug....

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've seen a couple listed on online breeder/seller sites(usually males only)... just couldn't justify the price they wanted for a bug....
Exactly!!! Besides what good is it to get just one? You cant breed only one LOL

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you make a good point... even for a pair at the prices i have seen, i can't justify buying any... and they are on my list of scorps i want but won't have....

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't mind owning just one, at this point in time I've never bred scorps, but who knows what the future holds? I'm always looking for the next thing to add to my collection. I can have the common stuff like G.rosea but why have a T.blondi when you can have a T.apophysis or a P.imperator when you can have a P.cavimanus? Right now I'm saving for a $300 dollar dwarf monitor from Proexotics, why? Because, everyone this side of Venus has a bearded dragon and I want the alternative, the exotic of the exotic. Dig? ~ Rex

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Right now I'm saving for a $300 dollar dwarf monitor from Proexotics, why? Because, everyone this side of Venus has a bearded dragon and I want the alternative, the exotic of the exotic. Dig? ~ Rex
Try a nice tree monitor instead...much more interesting, same size, less common...;)

I see swammer's every couple of years, Todd and some others just had some not too long ago. They went for around $250 I believe. Not as pretty as a blue spider but much more interesting s far as activity and being seen.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LF[Media];915394 said:
How much does one of these swammerdami cost?
They're just a very big, and very rare species there isn't really a justifiable price for them.... You will not likely see any available and the species will probaly stay within a small population of hobbyiest until there is a large enough population to ensure they're production can continue... Basically, don't expect to see any on a dealers price list ever... (I recall one way back when, but it just goes to show how weak invert dealing can be, it was in the $250 range and was a single specimen which is useless to what is trying to be done with the species).

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're just a very big, and very rare species there isn't really a justifiable price for them.... You will not likely see any available and the species will probaly stay within a small population of hobbyiest until there is a large enough population to ensure they're production can continue... Basically, don't expect to see any on a dealers price list ever... (I recall one way back when, but it just goes to show how weak invert dealing can be, it was in the $250 range and was a single specimen which is useless to what is trying to be done with the species).
well no bug can justify a huge price for sure

But you cant appreciate enough H.swammerdami unless you see an adult one in real life ;)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree 100%. :) You definently can't put an exact price on a bug.... all the dealer listings sell for 2 to 4 times what species should be sold for, which is why I'd wager the people I know will be getting some, won't release any into the hands of those who try to make more than a fair buck after people spend a lot of time and money to keep feeding the hobby.