Heterometrus laoticus babies

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was a little shocked to find this tonight. These are from my CB specimens I produced back in 2005. This is the shortest gestation I have ever seen from Heterometrus! Only 6 months!! In the past the gestation has been 9-10 months. I bet you all forgot I work with non-Buthid scorpions LOL.
I will always be a Heterometrus fan! Wonderful big black scorps!!!

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well done Brian, quite variable gestations happening. Would you say mainly environment or genetic?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well done Brian, quite variable gestations happening. Would you say mainly environment or genetic?
I'm not sure Mark. Interestingly, some of this girl's siblings are 1 to 2 molts from becoming adults.
Now I will have a confession that may shock some of you. I am using a reptile heating pad under the tank (box). Nearly everyone (myself included) has spoken against doing this for a long time here and on other boards. I am now beginning to believe this doesnt hurt anything like we previously though as long as the heat doesnt get too high. The pad covers about 1/3 of the box. There are hides extending from the warm to the "less warm" side. Temps on top of the substrate is about 85-88F while the other side stays around 5-6 degrees cooler.
I am experimenting with 2 other spp at the moment with the pad under the tank. The other 2 spp have been difficult to breed in the past and I am trying to see if the hot temps might help. If this is successful I will most certainly tell you all :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ROCK! I remember your OLD thread when you got babies from your H. laoticus. Congrats, looks like a manageable # there too.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say its envinroment based.
For examble for H.swammerdami I had gestation of 15 months and George Carnell gestation of 21 months.

Congrats Brian! Heterometrus are indeed nice

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
CB of CB . . . nice! That's what I want to see in this hobby. Congrats on the brood, Brian! :clap:

After having a S subspinipes drop over 70 young, about anything is a managable # now LOL{D
All I'll say is :eek:.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! I believe we will have healthier animals in the future if more and more are breeding in captivity. I am glad to see that more here are doing this

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The young are now separated, There is a total of 10