Heterometrus identification and sexing help

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I got this guy about two weeks ago and I'm not sure which variant of Asian forest scorpion it is. I did some research and possibly narrowed it down to either H. Spinifer or female H. Longimanus (the claws on the female Longimanus apparently looks identical to that of the Spinifer). It's claws look a little small and not freakishly muscular like in pics of Spinifers I see on the internet though. Hopefully it's a Spinifer.

Also here's the best pic I could get of it's privates. Is it a boy or a girl?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree with your thinking - most likely a female H.spinifer/longimanus
the ones from Malaysia tend to look like this, while specimens from Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia can have thicker claws with more 'spiky' appearance!

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I agree with your thinking - most likely a female H.spinifer/longimanus
the ones from Malaysia tend to look like this, while specimens from Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia can have thicker claws with more 'spiky' appearance!
Thanks, that bit about the origin countries is reassuring. I assume the thicker claws you mention are the Laoticus/Petersii variants?

What's the definitive way to tell apart a Spinifer and a Longimanus, especially the females?

Also, are the various Heterometrus species able to interbreed? (I think you can tell I suck at Biology :p)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi

You can find H.spinifer on the mainland (Vietnam to Thailand) as well as on the islands - Singapore, Malaysia, etc
The ones from Malaysia tend to look like your one, the ones from Thailand/Vietnam (Distinct from H.petersii or H.laoticus) have thicker claws in my experience
as well as more spiny protrusions on the claws!

As for H.spinifer vs Longimanus.. I think this is still the most up to date document: http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/p2004_15.pdf

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Hi

You can find H.spinifer on the mainland (Vietnam to Thailand) as well as on the islands - Singapore, Malaysia, etc
The ones from Malaysia tend to look like your one, the ones from Thailand/Vietnam (Distinct from H.petersii or H.laoticus) have thicker claws in my experience
as well as more spiny protrusions on the claws!

As for H.spinifer vs Longimanus.. I think this is still the most up to date document: http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/p2004_15.pdf
I see. Thanks for the link!