Heterometris Spinnifer Communal possibilities?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a brood of 12 that have been growing up together ..still sleep and stay on top of each other for most of the day and do little on their own. I wish to keep them together so they can multiply and be fruitful:rolleyes:, but I have no experience with this particular species. They have many hides but only use 2 and there about 5 to 7 in each. They are about a year old. Advice please. :)
I did use the search but did not find any thing relevant.

RackAttacks

Arachnopeon
spinifer can do quite well communally, given that you make sure that they have enough hides and enough space. Once they get past their 3rd or 4th moult, they (the males especially) can become quite territorial. Just make sure to watch them for any fighting. Somewhere on the 'boards there is a post from someone who did house them communally, to mixed results.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is my opinion due only to reading, not any personal experience with this specie.

In general, siblings are generally less likely to cannibalize the younger they are. As they get older, it can happen more often or even regularly. I do think however, that there are many species that will live together with little to no cannibalism that we are not aware of yet.

I think it's a great idea to try it and record the results here. But keep in mind, you may have losses. You should be vigilant in checking on them and doing head counts regularly if you decide to keep them together. You may have them do fine until they mature and then have problems. You will just have to watch and see.

If you can, when recording success or failure here, provide as much info as possible.

Things like Temp, humidity, substrate, cage size, number and type of hides, misting/feeding regimine, light cycle, behaviors, clustering, etc...

I have certainly read reports of cannibalism with the thought in the back of my head that it was keeping/condition related. The more info you can provide, the more this could be adjusted in future attempts or ruled out as cause.

Good luck and keep us updated!

(keep your eyes on this thread for a while too, you may get some good first hand info)