He's feeling better now

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For those who were in chat about 2 weeks ago, you know about my Vietnamese Giant subspinipes who was refusing food after I got it. Well, I'm happy to say he seems to have acclimated finally.

First, he started pushing some dirt around in the middle of the week. Then, I noticed two days ago that some crickets I had in there with him had disappeared. So today, I thawed a pinky and threw in there: munch, munch, munch :D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool!

See, told ya! :) Pretty brutal watching it eat, huh? Glad to hear it's doing well.

Atrax

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Cool!

Originally posted by Atrax
Pretty brutal watching it eat, huh?
I don't know that it's more brutal than having watched my growing pedelings eat (now one juvenile, sniff, bye bye weak stick SHC), but the larger size allowed me to notice appendages and mouth parts on the head I'd never seen before. That was very cool - like a whole little factory going on there 'processing the meat' :D

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
For those who were in chat about 2 weeks ago, you know about my Vietnamese Giant subspinipes who was refusing food after I got it. Well, I'm happy to say he seems to have acclimated finally.

First, he started pushing some dirt around in the middle of the week. Then, I noticed two days ago that some crickets I had in there with him had disappeared. So today, I thawed a pinky and threw in there: munch, munch, munch :D

Code,
Congratulations. It does feel so good when a sick pet turns the corner.

Peace,
Gillian

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Congrats on it recovering.

We told you it would just take some time :)

Scott

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I figured as much, I just wasn't sure if acclimation periods were normal for pedes or not. My little hatchlings all ate within about 2 days of me getting them, and my Ts have always eaten as soon as I got them into a new cage. This bugger refused food for almost 2 weeks so I wanted to know if it was normal from you more experienced types :)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The chewing mechanism is fascinating to watch. Another interesting thing is if you spot your pede drinking from the mist on the side of the enclosure. You can get a pretty good look at how it all moves. They're like little aliens.
I like that you used a thawed pinkie. For me, feeding them live ones is kinda rough. Somehow though I doubt you'd be too bothered by it Code! LOL! :p

Atrax

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
I like that you used a thawed pinkie. For me, feeding them live ones is kinda rough. Somehow though I doubt you'd be too bothered by it Code! LOL! :p
The frozen pinkies are because of the wife, she is dead set against me feeding live mammals to any of the inverts. Although no one can really say what might happen if she's out of town one of these days :p