Here's my lil' Miss Miranda

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
608
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Bill,
I emailed Frank, who told me he had sent a mixture of the bloodlines to a number of suppliers. It's good he labelled the bloodlines though it should help future breeding atempts.

Cheers,
Steve
This time around Frank wasn't the only source -- A recent exotics show in Germany featured them for sale, and more than one US supplier attended that show and came back with them (along with other oddball rare imports).

I do plan on getting some miranda from Frank as well within the next couple of weeks, so we'll see if those are packaged any different.

bill
 

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
118
That would explain it then :)

Did your supplier tell you that the '2' had anything to do with bloodline, or is that just an educated guess?

I'm curious :D

Flannery
 

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
608
Originally posted by safetypinup

As for your post, Bill.........
None of our mirandas were numbered, so it's anyone's guess which bloodline(s) they are from. In fact, I would be interested to find out if any other dealers besides yourself received numbered shipments...(????)
How big are yours Bill? That pic is great :)
Thanks--

The vials these came in were numbered '2' and are all pretty much one solid inch - one is slightly more.

bill
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,786
Originally posted by invertepet
This time around Frank wasn't the only source -- A recent exotics show in Germany featured them for sale, and more than one US supplier attended that show and came back with them (along with other oddball rare imports).
Frank got his from Henrik, who sold them at the Hamm show. I'd imagine that's where all the suppliers to the US would have got them from, do you know(I'm only assuming here)? It would be interesting to know how many bloodlines Henrik had.

I'd have loved to have been at that show, it sounded damn good ;)

Steve
 

Aboreal Rayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 7, 2003
Messages
58
Re: Hey Aboreal Rayne

Originally posted by Philth
You have two tarantulas and you started with a P.fasciata and a miranda ?:? Way to jump into the hobby !
Accually I have one additional Miranda and I didn't just "Jump In" as it's put. I simply only kept the one that I was most obsessed with, Pokes being my favorite. I used to own a boring rosie and a pink toe as well but gave them away, as a condition of getting new ones. Unlike some of you I don't have whole walls to fill- there fore I choose wich ones I get very wisly. BTW who are you to tell me what to buy? I'v been doin this for years!! LOL- some people...:? :confused:
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
Originally posted by Aboreal Rayne
dennie, pokes get a bad rep from folks like you, care for them love them and repect them and you might think diffrently.
No. They have a bad rep because evidence points to a potent venom that makes people sick when they bite them. I don't care how much of an "expert" some one is, when you take care of spiders, there is a chance that someday you will get bit.

I am a professional driver and have been one for 7 years. I have never been in an accident. There is always the chance that I will get into an accident. If I do, I hope it is with a smaller vehicle than mine. I definately don't want to get hit by a semi.

From reading various bite reports, being bit by a pokie is to being hit by a semi, like being bit by a brachypelma is to being hit by a Geo Metro.


Jon
 

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
608
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Frank got his from Henrik, who sold them at the Hamm show. I'd imagine that's where all the suppliers to the US would have got them from, do you know(I'm only assuming here)? It would be interesting to know how many bloodlines Henrik had.

I'd have loved to have been at that show, it sounded damn good ;)
Yes, I wish I'd have gone, too... Lots of rare stuff including very rare scorps.

About the show - yes, that's where (any) other suppliers got them, I do believe.

bill
 

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 4, 2003
Messages
2,719
Unlike some of you I don't have whole walls to fill- there fore I choose wich ones I get very wisly. BTW who are you to tell me what to buy?
Dude, I was just kidding;P , relax.
Any way its interesting to read more and more about this speices. I never get bored of it. Whos this guy frank who imported them?
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,786
Originally posted by invertepet
Yes, I wish I'd have gone, too... Lots of rare stuff including very rare scorps.
I saw some shots from the show, amazing. I saw a shot of a corkbark stand, just corkbark! Apparently it was one of three or four such stands. Can you name any of the unusual stuff in the way of arachnids to come over from the Hamm show (and did you score any of it)?

Thanks,
Steve
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,786
Originally posted by Philth
Whos this guy frank who imported them?
Frank is Frank Soma, a US importer of arachnids. He's got a lot of real good connections and comes up with first time imports a lot. I believe a lot of dealers like to buy from Frank because he's reliable and trustworthy and his stock is first rate stuff. I don't think he sells to the general public though (of this I'm not certain though). I tell you, I'd love to see his collection, I'd bet he's got some amazing stuff.

Cheers,
Steve
 

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
1,982
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Frank is Frank Soma, a US importer of arachnids. He's got a lot of real good connections and comes up with first time imports a lot. I believe a lot of dealers like to buy from Frank because he's reliable and trustworthy and his stock is first rate stuff. I don't think he sells to the general public though (of this I'm not certain though). I tell you, I'd love to see his collection, I'd bet he's got some amazing stuff.

Cheers,
Steve
That's Frank, of course you have to get in touch with him first.... ;) Only wholesale although if you go to the white plains show, you can buy from his partner Tommy Agosta. One of these days I'm gonna go see his collection Steve, I'll be sure to take ALOT of pictures.

On the topic of P. miranda. I had also heard that in the first batch that came over, there were 3 seperate bloodlines. On the other hand, and don't quote me on this, I believe I was told that they were just all mixed together in the shipment with no way to tell which one was from which bloodline. Frank does come on the site occaisionally so hopefully he will chime in.....

Scott
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,786
Originally posted by mrderanged
Only wholesale although if you go to the white plains show, you can buy from his partner Tommy Agosta. One of these days I'm gonna go see his collection Steve, I'll be sure to take ALOT of pictures.
Hey, Scott, to go there without a camera would incite a riot from those who suffer MSD ;) Although I have heard Frank has some sort of future project in the making regarding display, but I won't say anymore, not my call to.

Steve
 

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
608
Steve,

Some of the stuff that came from Hamm include:

Giant Arabian Deathstalker Scorps (Apistobuthus pterygocerus)
Several other rare scorps (including Hottentotta jayakari)
P. subfusca slings
P. rufilata slings
P. miranda (of course) slings
Iridopelma sp. "reecefi" slings
Selenocosmia (formerly Chilocosmia) peerboomi slings
Latrodectus corallinus (Argentine Widow) slings

...and some other stuff I can't recall at the moment.

bill
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,786
Thanks Bill. One could only wonder what will turn up at next years show.

Steve
 
Top