Her 1st mouse :-))))

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't worry the picture isn't better, most don't want to see it. Yes I like spiders more then mice but I like all animals and seeing a mammal on a spiders fangs is jsut not a sight I want to see. Do you guys know what is great about roaches? They will eat about anything. They keep the food inside them for awhile from what I hear. So do this before you feed them to your t's jsut get some fresh fruits, veggies, baby food (yeah they love that stuff) and pack them full of that. That meal lacks calcium. Roaches are high in protein, low in fat, and you can give them food with all sorts of nutrients. You'd be surprised everything in my roach chow. Just about anything you can grind into a powder. I am sorry for the t's that belong to people who feed them mice. Natural instinct tells them to eat it but is it really the best thing for them....I don't think so. Oh and one last thing, you guys ever been bit by a mouse......I have. Even a hopper mouse which is small can draw blood on people. Mice can take a leg clean off. Do what you want all im going to say is raoches roaches roaches

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
She just finished feeding on it. Its been 32 hours, wait its been abot 3 minutes and she turned back and is feeding on it more. Is that normal ?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey what's up redneck. What state you in maybe we could be the 1s to get some scientific facts out ther.
Do you remember talking to me about an upside down T? She's the 1 we all are talkin about. As for the upside down thing she still likes to do it every now and then and my A.versi likes to dangle from his back 2.
Im in Texas.. But I was being sarcastic about doing the experiment.. I am with the others... I dont feed rodents to my T's...

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So y don't 1 of you expierienced T keepers get like 50 Theraphosidaes and make 5 strict diets, feed 10 each 1 and keep them all in the same enclosures.
i want to see the cash up front in non sequential bills before taking part in that operation ;P

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Should I take it from her ? Her abdomen has doubled in size and ther is still about a third of the rodent left?

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
She is done, the rodent has been removved her tank cleaned up.and she is stuffed. Ill let you know how her next molt goes.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Hmmm i wonder what the main diet is of wild T's like the golith's ect. Cause im not going to feed my T rodents but who is to say some of the much larger wild T's diet doesn't consist of rodent's when they are plentiful. I mean hearing about a whistling Turantula killing and eating a rat is pretty amazing. But i don't think all T's are bulit for eating mice and rat's not to say some haven't adapted to it. Who's to say we won't find a new species that eat's rodent's often. So to me its releative to the type tarantula

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She is done, the rodent has been removved her tank cleaned up.and she is stuffed. Ill let you know how her next molt goes.
The next molt will probably be fine, no one has ever said Mouse/rat= instant moult kill but it is still the wrong nutrients. The risk of something to go wrong is higher and if you where a serious hobbyist you should learn to listen to more experienced keepers, mammals has wrong nutrients, i say it again: To much fat, wrong nutrients and wrong proteins.

And stop watching those youtube clips

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
^ That

Not to mention, if you just fattened her up too much, there is going to be a lot of pressure on her organs now. I hope you have enough substrate in her tank so she isn't at risk of taking a fall.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do they need it, or don't need it? We simply don't know it...and until solid research is done about Theraphosidae diet, we can't elaborate good arguments... just, that some people feel bad about seeing a mice getting killed when it might not be necessary because crickets or roaches can be used as feeders and they are not ''so cute'' as mice...I personally use mice as feeders very few times, when I want certain tarantula to gain weight rapidly (the same if I can get frogs/lizards) But I only use very small (without grown teeth yet) mice if ever. And it's not nice to see them whip and get killed... to see it as ''something fun'', well that's just stupid!
So, what I'll add to this thread is... that tarantulas will eat in the wild any prey they can handle to kill and eat, especially if we are talking about very hungry tarantulas...which may had their last meal months ago. Of course, as Fran said, the size of the tarantula implies that it would catch larger preys such as small mice. I can add, for the ones that haven't heard it, that I've seen in the wild an adult female Acanthoscurria chacoana (about 5 or 6 inches LS) eating a mice. It was surprising to me, that my friend found her just in the middle of taking her meal, and what kind of meal especially!

Anyway, heres the Acanthoscurria chacoana feeding, after catching a mice not long ago. The spider seemed that molted recently, she was lucky to have such rich meal for the breeding season.
On the pic, you can see the mice's tale...sorry it's not better.

Pato
So you mean that there is no link between all those mice feeding and bad moults? There are numerous threads in the theraphosid community about mice feeding and the Theraphosa blondi death ratio with mice as food.

It doesnt have to be good for them just because they eat it. My friend has a dog that eats poo when they are walking. Should he bring turds into the dog diet because of that?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Hmmm i wonder what the main diet is of wild T's like the golith's ect. Cause im not going to feed my T rodents but who is to say some of the much larger wild T's diet doesn't consist of rodent's when they are plentiful. I mean hearing about a whistling Turantula killing and eating a rat is pretty amazing. But i don't think all T's are bulit for eating mice and rat's not to say some haven't adapted to it. Who's to say we won't find a new species that eat's rodent's often. So to me its releative to the type tarantula
O.K., I'm a big believer in "nature knows best." However, what works in nature can rarely be duplicated properly in captivity, and when we stupid humans try to duplicate nature we usually foul things up pretty good.

If you want to say "it's o.k. because they eat mice/rats in nature and we don't know how often" - - then you must also say that a LOT of T's die in nature and we don't know how often or why. Logically many of those deaths are not just from injury or old age, but also from poor nutrition because they eat whatever junk comes along.

Personally I want less dead T's than nature in my private hobby collection. I want to provide good nutrition for them so that even the weak and sickly ones will live long and healthy lives in my care - - because I CAN! Many have said it in regards to environment, but I say it also applies here- - We are not dealing with nature, and we shouldn't be trying to duplicate it without ALL the same factors.

Science is a wonderful tool - - it is FAR from perfect, but still better than just guessing and hoping. Science = Observation and Personal Experience. When a grand majority of the experienced T Keepers tell you that they (or the people that taught them) have observed this practice to be harmful to your pets . . . . . LISTEN! Why do you want to start the science all over again and make all the same mistakes? :confused:

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for your words. Im no expert, but been keeping T's since 1996.
I have seen my share of things, and honestly, to feed a smithi mice...
Really...
Feel ya Fran, thats gotta be the dumbest, sickest comment about the "fang to eyeball" iv seen here. To each his own but there are fewer T's that would take down something of that size and brachys are NOT one of them-

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I agree with you for sure i never have fed my T's mice and really i don't see a reason to. Im sure some are built for it but i have yet to actually hear about one that is adapted to killing and eating vertebrates. I have to say it would be intresting to find a new species that could do that which would be pretty cool. But i get your point that its not good for most T's because they aren't built for it.

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
For all thos leaving comments with out reading the entire thread. KISS MY ABDOMEN.

I know now that calm docile sweethearts like my B.Smithi ( Pandora ) don't need to be put in any danger like feeding her a mouse that could kill her. If I could appologize to her I would I have alreaddy agreed with the majority about feeding them mice and I agree to it cause I would never put my T in danger I carre just as much for her as I do my dog. I wouldn't try to play hot tarantula with her so why would I feed her a mouse. I made the mistake once and it won't happen again.
People keeping Ts for years and making reports about bad molts relating to mouse feedings and still there is not enough to make it a fact that rodents are bad for Ts. If that's the case then something needst to be done so all this argueing about mouse feedings stops. More importantly for the saftey of all the future pet Ts. If rodents aren't bad for them then we are also depriveing are Ts from something they need and maybe hunt or wait for in the wild. I'm not trying to start the science again cause I wasn't the 1st Pet T keeper. Its already been started it just need clarity now.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even if rodents aren't bad for them, we are NOT depriving them of anything. A T WILL survive on crickets and roaches and have for a long time. We are providing everything they need.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even if rodents aren't bad for them, we are NOT depriving them of anything. A T WILL survive on crickets and roaches and have for a long time. We are providing everything they need.
Exactly.

VENOMdeBEEVER, I think that's the part you need to try and better understand. If you're worried you may be depriving them of a necessity, fear not. Think instead how you're watching for their safety. Could they eat a mouse or rat? Perhaps. However it doesn't mean they need it. If they needed it, then all these hobbyists who strictly feed their tarantulas insect diets would have a huge lot of dead tarantulas on their hands. Through the evidence of these tarantulas surviving AND thriving, rest assured, if you feed your guys simply an insect diet, you won't be depriving them of a necessity (necessity meaning without it, they die or fall ill), simply keeping them away from dangers of either the mouse/rat harming it or it not getting proper nutrients. :)

revoltkid

Arachnopeon
seriously......a leash?? a leash???? ok...i am not going to comment on that. but wow. wow....wow.......a leash!?