Hentzi's, do they hibernate?

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wondering. My A. Hentzi juvie seems to have been in pre-molt for a few months now..
And hadnt' seemed to want to settle down in two of the enclosures I have had it in.
I finally got a nicely sized round clear container that had been a shipping container for a larger T...
SO I put in lots of good substrate, and its cork logs, and nice fake foliage..
It has since piled up substrate in the entrances and hasn't come out.
I keep a tiny water cup, and the temp is about 78 degrees.
I checked on it, but not to disturb it too much. Its healthy, abdomen is plump, and has eaten before going into premolt...

Just wondering if I should look in on it every few weeks, or just wait.
love the little bugger..
Its name is Frank, after a friend from the south.. who was a "slow grower" kinda like a Hentzi.. which is also from the "south"...
LOL
Carol

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depending on size, A. hentzi can takes months to go through premolt. They are very slow growers and have been known to slow down growth rate in winter months. Although this would be influenced by the temp and humidity in its' living space. Just sit back and enjoy.

John

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's not a true hybernation but they do slow down enough to not require food or water for a few months to survive. Basic fuctions are still there though like motion and breathing.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine hasn't slowed down on eating or activity, but mine is an unsexed juvie. I don't think they truly hibernate, it does not get cold enough out west for them to do that, I think its more of a slow down. Not moving, eating or drinking as much as they do in the height of summer.