Help!!

tarantula man

Arachnopeon
:wall: I am trying to breed the A. hentzi tarantula for common name the texas brown.I have a number of them i think 8 but i need to know how to sex them.do females have spurs or is that the males???????? ive hears they are ready to mate when they lay down sperm web but what does it look like? i know the lay several kinds but i dont know what it looks like.i need help someone.:wall: :wall: :wall:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:wall: I am trying to breed the A. hentzi tarantula for common name the texas brown.I have a number of them i think 8 but i need to know how to sex them.do females have spurs or is that the males???????? ive hears they are ready to mate when they lay down sperm web but what does it look like? i know the lay several kinds but i dont know what it looks like.i need help someone.:wall: :wall: :wall:
OK I'm going to rain on you parade.

1.) what do you mean you think you have 8 of them. This is not a hard question. I have 22 p. ornatas, see not hard. IF by "I think I have 8 of them" means that you have gone out and collected a bunch of tarantulas. Then self ID them by what they look like, then you need to stop your breeding practice right there.

2.) Breeding tarantulas is not as easy as breeding cats. Which means that you probably need to start by keeping them long term to make sure that they are what you think they are. Only under proper care can you get a eggsack. If something in the eviroment is not right it will not happen.

3.)Time of year, proper cycling, and cold season plays a huge factor here. You just can not place them into the same container and hope.

4.) there is a ton of information of then internet about raising, caring, and sexing tarantulas. But it is apparent that you have not even googled anything. Which means that you want the quick buck and came here to get the answers that you wanted to hear, with out the pesky research thing. I would spend more time understanding the tarantulas you are keeping and less on the "I have 8 tarantulas I want to breed (for fun and profit) how do you guys that spend hundreds of hours researching and keeping do it. Because I really want to jump to the front of the line."

As for the rest, do a search it is not hard and will provide you if everything you need. A quick glance at the breeding thread shows that there are aleast 6 good threads that will help you on this.

tarantula man

Arachnopeon
Ha

;P You have not rained on my parade see as i have breed many a tarantula.Many kinds B.smithi,H. Lividum (that one was really hard as their temperment is quite nasty) but my problem was this specific species.Googling them does basicly nothing as most people take them for granted.So there is not very much info on them.Making it extremly hard to find mating season,sexing,care.Seeing as i live in Texas i had a small idea of what there living environment was like.I just needed help on this species for it is very odd.Instead of the usual living peroid for females 30+ years it is 40+ years males live up to 20+ years wich would make them one of the longest living.I have had them all for about 4 months and none have died.I did not self ID them i sent a shedding wich lucky one left me in its cage and it was identified as A.hentzi.;P
OK I'm going to rain on you parade.

1.) what do you mean you think you have 8 of them. This is not a hard question. I have 22 p. ornatas, see not hard. IF by "I think I have 8 of them" means that you have gone out and collected a bunch of tarantulas. Then self ID them by what they look like, then you need to stop your breeding practice right there.

2.) Breeding tarantulas is not as easy as breeding cats. Which means that you probably need to start by keeping them long term to make sure that they are what you think they are. Only under proper care can you get a eggsack. If something in the eviroment is not right it will not happen.

3.)Time of year, proper cycling, and cold season plays a huge factor here. You just can not place them into the same container and hope.

4.) there is a ton of information of then internet about raising, caring, and sexing tarantulas. But it is apparent that you have not even googled anything. Which means that you want the quick buck and came here to get the answers that you wanted to hear, with out the pesky research thing. I would spend more time understanding the tarantulas you are keeping and less on the "I have 8 tarantulas I want to breed (for fun and profit) how do you guys that spend hundreds of hours researching and keeping do it. Because I really want to jump to the front of the line."

As for the rest, do a search it is not hard and will provide you if everything you need. A quick glance at the breeding thread shows that there are aleast 6 good threads that will help you on this.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Right, you've bred tarantulas before but you don't know what a sperm web looks like or whether females or males get hooks? Um, okay. And you didn't answer the question on why you don't seem to know how many you have. You aren't keeping them together I hope?

Sorry but your thread is a bit strange.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Males don't live 20+ years. Where did you hear that?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
more study

Sorry, but, err, you've bred many Ts and dont know what a sperm web looks like? You dont know about tibial hooks and whether males or females get them? You have trouble sexing your Ts (I assume they are of sexable size)? No offense, but maybe you should learn more before attempting to breed your Ts.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OK, please dont take this wrong . i have waited all this time to say anythign because i was trying to decide if i should. And i believe i shoudl so here goes. IF you do not know that tibial spurs are male traits, or what a sperm web is, or how many Ts you have, you need to not even consider breeding them.
If you are plannig to breed them just to make a buck, you need to not even consider breeding them. If you want to just keep a few as pets, you shoudl even know these things.
if you wild caught these near your house the best thing you can do is to take them back where you got them and release them. Go buy a G. rosea and keep it a few months till you learn how to care for a tarantula . then maybe advance to somethign a bit harder to keep and maybe you will decide you want to breed again after you have learned enough to do so .
however, you could release all but one of the hentzi and keep it too as they are pretty forgiving as far as husbandry goes. but dont try to breed them !!! what the heck would you do if you had 4 females drop sacs of 400 slings each ???!!! do you know how to incubate the eggs with legs? do you have vials for them? any way to feed them after 2nd instar?

omni

Arachnobaron
go easy on the guy now... If you do successfully breed your group of hentzis, you also better have a few d. melanogaster (fruit fly) cultures going, at least 300 vials or 1 oz condiment cups, space for all those babies' containers and time to tend them (don't they have 250-300/sac?) . Count on spending 2 hrs for ONE sac's worth of slings everytime you water or feed them. I've bred all sorts of critters but haven't yet bred tarantulas, having only bred widow spiders 2x and know what a sac of 75 tiny spiders took out of my time and energy... A royal pain lemme tell ya :}
and I'll only breed my campestratus after I know as much about T's as possible and have lots of extra time, space, and food for them before putting a male in w/ her. I spoke with Charles Black about breeding T's couple mos ago, and found out all the things that can go wrong even after a sac is laid. You could lose them all really easily. One day late misting the cups and your investment could be totally wiped out. Zillions of things could happen that might not be your fault. Botar did advise against breeding unless prepared and failure is acceptable.) My guess is you've already lost one or two T's thinking you had a m/f pair and one bit the other because they were same sex. You said you think you have 8, I saw in another thread you mentioned having 6... From what i read, I'd say plan on a couple failures (males being killed) in your first attempts at breeding.
I found an old web page referencing 40+ and 15 yrs(???) for female/male hentzi:
http://whozoo.org/Intro2001/brooksal/BS_TxTarantula.htm
Thing is, specimens would've had to been documented in the mid 60's. I haven't heard of a documented T going past 32yrs, I think that was a g. rosea that had passed on in the late 90's, caught in '67 or '68. Still trying everynow and then to relocate that documentation by the prof who kept it.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find it a bit hard to believe you could have bred B. smithi and H. lividum without knowing which gender gets spurs or the look of a sperm web. :?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
???? I have no idea what to say about this thread. I'm sounding the B.S. horn. lol

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im with TDF and Drachenjager..i have waited to to see if i should even comment...but it seems your inconstant in some of your remarks... which in this forum will definitely be pointed out....the characteristic of males to females is pretty obvious..and if your claiming to be a breeder then ummm.... i'll just leave it alone....word of advise in here its always good to just be upfront...like stated above, gain some experience with some rosies...

tarantula man

Arachnopeon
Sorry!!!!

:8o I am very sorry everyone ive never actually breed any tarantulas.I was on my profile the other day andmy dad came and said he needed some help that moment so i got up and left i was checking out the post to see if i had any replies.My freaking little brother got on and saw a the first reply and decided that he would prank me.So he wrote a quote that was so stupid its out of this world.I have never breed any Ts i would like to and i am at the moment reasherching them. And i have 8 Ts i dont keep them in the same cages i feed and water them well.Please excuse the quote that my brother wrote.(btw he is about to get a betting from me so bad........ not really but you guys get the piont):8o
go easy on the guy now... If you do successfully breed your group of hentzis, you also better have a few d. melanogaster (fruit fly) cultures going, at least 300 vials or 1 oz condiment cups, space for all those babies' containers and time to tend them (don't they have 250-300/sac?) . Count on spending 2 hrs for ONE sac's worth of slings everytime you water or feed them. I've bred all sorts of critters but haven't yet bred tarantulas, having only bred widow spiders 2x and know what a sac of 75 tiny spiders took out of my time and energy... A royal pain lemme tell ya :}
and I'll only breed my campestratus after I know as much about T's as possible and have lots of extra time, space, and food for them before putting a male in w/ her. I spoke with Charles Black about breeding T's couple mos ago, and found out all the things that can go wrong even after a sac is laid. You could lose them all really easily. One day late misting the cups and your investment could be totally wiped out. Zillions of things could happen that might not be your fault. Botar did advise against breeding unless prepared and failure is acceptable.) My guess is you've already lost one or two T's thinking you had a m/f pair and one bit the other because they were same sex. You said you think you have 8, I saw in another thread you mentioned having 6... From what i read, I'd say plan on a couple failures (males being killed) in your first attempts at breeding.
I found an old web page referencing 40+ and 15 yrs(???) for female/male hentzi:
http://whozoo.org/Intro2001/brooksal/BS_TxTarantula.htm
Thing is, specimens would've had to been documented in the mid 60's. I haven't heard of a documented T going past 32yrs, I think that was a g. rosea that had passed on in the late 90's, caught in '67 or '68. Still trying everynow and then to relocate that documentation by the prof who kept it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
actually, i wouldn't be too surprised to find some of the USA aphonopelma have males that live 20 years. i'm shooting for that with slow grow G. rosea

one thing though... in CA and TX (and probably other states) there are MANY species of tarantulas.... and they are usually pretty tricky to tell apart... so the very first step is to find out what you *really* have. this is going to be the hardest part, probably, incidentily. take molts or spiders that you can lose to scientist types. probably a local-ish university with an invertebrate program would be your best bet

isn't the A in "Texas A&M" for ag? that would be a good school to look at finding experts at

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
:8o I am very sorry everyone ive never actually breed any tarantulas.I was on my profile the other day andmy dad came and said he needed some help that moment so i got up and left i was checking out the post to see if i had any replies.My freaking little brother got on and saw a the first reply and decided that he would prank me.So he wrote a quote that was so stupid its out of this world.
If the "craziest" fakepost your brother could come up with was "oh yeah I have bred (the scientific names of two species he might not even KNOW about)"...then your brother's pretty weak, dude. "Someone else used my account" is also the oldest backpedaling "oh crap I got caught" line in the book, btw. ;)

This thread is a silly place.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:8o I am very sorry everyone ive never actually breed any tarantulas.
You know it really does not matter. Like everyone is saying, you need to ID them.

Second, you are not trying to breed the easiest to breed species. You really have to know what you are doing. Which means that I would keep them for a long time so that you can understand their natural cycle. All tarantulas have a natural cycle which they tune into. A search here on the boards will give you all the information you need.

I would let you know what I know but I have never breed this species and would find it a nightmare to do. But if I were you, I know alot of people have breed the species. I would P(rivate) M(essaging) the people that have and ask them here to start. A search would help you with this.

tarantula man

Arachnopeon

:clap: Actually my brother keeps tarantulas too and he is the one who got me interested.He has had a cobalt blue and a red knee so he knows the scientific names.Im a begginer tarantula keeper wich is why i started with a rose hair.Was told that the texas brown was easy too keep so i tried it.Then my friend an experinced keeper said he would help me breed them so i accepted.He was going to look them up and with my Ts we would breed them so i got on forum for info.
If the "craziest" fakepost your brother could come up with was "oh yeah I have bred (the scientific names of two species he might not even KNOW about)"...then your brother's pretty weak, dude. "Someone else used my account" is also the oldest backpedaling "oh crap I got caught" line in the book, btw. ;)

This thread is a silly place.

Delailah

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you also better have a few d. melanogaster (fruit fly) cultures going, at least 300 vials or 1 oz condiment cups, space for all those babies' containers and time to tend them (don't they have 250-300/sac?) . Count on spending 2 hrs for ONE sac's worth of slings everytime you water or feed them...I spoke with Charles Black about breeding T's couple mos ago, and found out all the things that can go wrong even after a sac is laid. You could lose them all really easily. One day late misting the cups and your investment could be totally wiped out.
Awesome post. I actually learned quite a bit!

omni

Arachnobaron
not trying to hijack a thread here, just to repeat my disclaimer in my earlier post to this thread, the info I related above is from researching others', and not in my own experience with breeding tarantulas. I will take what I've found out as a good starting point(such as using fruit flies, and time involved,) and compare to what I've been through with insects and l. mactans The time needed to do feeding for instance might take some ppl 30 min to do if they are organized and have a routine down, not wasting any time in handling containers or fumbling lids, recording data, etc. So in about a yr and half to 2 yrs, I think I'll have a good knowledge base of my own, the space and guts to attempt breeding.

I actually would enjoy seeing/hearing about tarantula man's progress towards breeding his T's. (OR anyone's) Sort of in the vein, "if they can do it, I'm more encouraged to go ahead." I think for anyone that has successfully bred T's, they've done the hobby a great service. Make them more avail. and breeding any T will ease up on ppl making money on WC varieties which is environmentally uncool.

So if I'm quoted anytime(i hope very rarely lol), what I say is IMHO, not gospel, and might not apply to anyone's particular circumstances. I say d. melanogaster because I have several critters besides tiny T's that can eat them, keeping things for me simplified.
Kudos to t man for being brave enough to ask on here. 99% of the animals I own and breed were projects I started nearly blind with many failures to try and learn from. It is rather embarrassing to ask things of others who may consider the info to be "common and obvious" and look down on the person asking.
Maybe somebody well-versed in breeding can start a thread telling of their first experiences. It'd make a good read and possibly persuade/dissuade others interested in this aspect of the hobby:)

tarantula man

Arachnopeon
Well Thank You

:eek: I think that My breeding efforts are paying off,i have got 1 egg sack now and also have an extra house to store them in and about 350 containers.It was tricky but with help i finnaly did it,im gonna keep trying till im good at it or at least able to know how well.My brother got a cobalt blue recently and it is very striking in the right lighting.as for myself i have gotten a mexican rednee and acording to caresheets have made its cage up and ready to go.1 of my Ts has died though after mating the female ate him before i could get him out.:eek: im am going to progress and thanks for those who supported me and does something besides sitting on the comp all day waiting for some1 like me to dicriminate.:clap:
not trying to hijack a thread here, just to repeat my disclaimer in my earlier post to this thread, the info I related above is from researching others', and not in my own experience with breeding tarantulas. I will take what I've found out as a good starting point(such as using fruit flies, and time involved,) and compare to what I've been through with insects and l. mactans The time needed to do feeding for instance might take some ppl 30 min to do if they are organized and have a routine down, not wasting any time in handling containers or fumbling lids, recording data, etc. So in about a yr and half to 2 yrs, I think I'll have a good knowledge base of my own, the space and guts to attempt breeding.

I actually would enjoy seeing/hearing about tarantula man's progress towards breeding his T's. (OR anyone's) Sort of in the vein, "if they can do it, I'm more encouraged to go ahead." I think for anyone that has successfully bred T's, they've done the hobby a great service. Make them more avail. and breeding any T will ease up on ppl making money on WC varieties which is environmentally uncool.

So if I'm quoted anytime(i hope very rarely lol), what I say is IMHO, not gospel, and might not apply to anyone's particular circumstances. I say d. melanogaster because I have several critters besides tiny T's that can eat them, keeping things for me simplified.
Kudos to t man for being brave enough to ask on here. 99% of the animals I own and breed were projects I started nearly blind with many failures to try and learn from. It is rather embarrassing to ask things of others who may consider the info to be "common and obvious" and look down on the person asking.
Maybe somebody well-versed in breeding can start a thread telling of their first experiences. It'd make a good read and possibly persuade/dissuade others interested in this aspect of the hobby:)