Help!!

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Remember I had posted a thread a few days ago about my T.Blondie. with those spots on her abdoment?? Well now her bald spot has turned shiny grey and she is sitting on her legs... I'm so worried. Could it just be a pre-molt????

anotherone

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That bald spot on the abdomen is where it has kicked the hairs off. It's common for blondi to have a little baldness back there. It could be doing this either defensively or in the case of your blondi, it is probably kicking a bit because it's going to molt. T's will sometimes add some of their own bristles to a thin silk "mat" that they build to molt on. The fact that the spot is getting darker is a dead giveaway to that. That dark spot is the new bristles which have developed under the old exoskeleton. Shouldn't be too long now. Your best bet (as with any T that is in pre molt) is to just disturb it as little as possible. Molting T's need only one thing...to be left alone to do their business.
If your T is still taking food, that's ok. As soon as you notice that it's lost interest in eating, remove any uneaten prey and just let it be. Oh, keep it watered, but other than that, your T knows better than anyone how to deal with the issue at hand.
The whole process can sometimes take a while as well. Some T's go off eating a couple weeks before the big event so try and be patient. Even though it's like waiting for Christmas. ;)
Hope that helps. :)

Atrax

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pre-molt would be my best guess also, hopefully everything goes well.

Andy

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's great news. Actually she hasn't ate for a long now.
Thanks a lot guys!!:D

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck on the upcomming molt.
:)

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good luck.......

i wish i can have a t.blondi too....

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wel thatt's just F........ great!!!!

Today I came home to find her on the top of the stairs meaning she had :
1. Escaped
2. Survived a 4.5 foot high jump
All that being in such a condition.
She seems to be in good health considering the jump... no fluid running or annything. She's also in good mood...I was scared to death trying to catch her....
ANY ADVICE???

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Re: Wel thatt's just F........ great!!!!

Well, it wouldn't have necessarily had to jump to the floor... spiders can navigate a wall pretty well. So, if the tank was near enough to a wall in the first place, then maybe the spider just made it to the wall somehow...

Originally posted by genious_gr
ANY ADVICE???
Yeah, they have these LOCKING screen lids.... ;)

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aren't T.Blondies supposed to be terrestrial??? Im though they couldn't climb....

Ow, the escape was my mistake cause I had actually left the lid off of the tank: I though she was ready to molt and I didn't think she could get out of the tank...thank god I found her cause the last thing I want to do is search for a small T.Blondie...

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Aren't T.Blondies supposed to be terrestrial??? Im though they couldn't climb....
Any tarantula can climb to an extent. Hell, the first 3 days I had my H. lividum she spent her time clinging to the lid of her pet pal.
Are those "freckles" I see on Miss T. blondi's booty? :D

Leanne

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
just curious--what possessed you to leave the lid off?

..and now you know, tarantulas CAN climb...

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
Are those "freckles" I see on Miss T. blondi's booty? :D

:confused:
Can you rephrase?? Make it easier for me to understand? cause I don't get what you're saying...

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Can you rephrase?? Make it easier for me to understand? cause I don't get what you're saying...
Sorry about that. I was just wondering if you blondi has freckles on her abdomen. I've never seen that before, interesting.

Leanne

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member

ALL tarantulas can climb. Terrestrial or Arboreal only refers to where they generally make their homes, not whether or not they can climb.

Scott

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I still bet that would be an interesting sight (lets say somebody else walked in LoL=D ..

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was able to have the heating lamp closer to the "ground" with the lid off... that's why I had it off...

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I was able to have the heating lamp closer to the "ground" with the lid off... that's why I had it off...
If you had a heating lamp so close to the ground your T was trying to molt (poss?) on, she probably escaped to get away from the heat! Unknown to many first-time invert keepers is the fact that just a simple 60-75 watt lightbulb can raise the heat in an enclosure up to 10 degrees, even shining on the enclosure from the OUTSIDE... if you had an actual Heat Lamp shining that close to the T, it probably was trying to escape the heat... that is WAY too much heat on a single invert. Next time, leave the lid on and shine the light from the side from a foot or two away... it will raise the temp a bit just fine. As a side note, there is a debate as to whether or not increasing humidity actually helps a tarantula molt, or merely helps the keeper's peace of mind... however, one of the side effects of close proximity to a light/heat source like that is GREATLY accelerated dessication...

Mercuria

Arachnopeon
First time poster here, long time lurker.

I'm researching this because of a post on facebook. Someone has an Aphonopelma Seemanii with half a bald abdomen, that has "freckles" on it. It literally looks like freckles and when I zoom in I see very faintly a lighter coloured edge around each freckle. The spots are round and almost black. It's a juvenile male, not in pre-molt.

Spiders don't have freckles like we do, but that's the only way I can describe it. A google search brings up so many unrelated hits. Ya'll are the best resource. It's not my photo so I'm not going to snag it but I did tell them to post here. But, T skin with "freckles" as seen in the OPs photos. Any answers?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
First time poster here, long time lurker.

I'm researching this because of a post on facebook. Someone has an Aphonopelma Seemanii with half a bald abdomen, that has "freckles" on it. It literally looks like freckles and when I zoom in I see very faintly a lighter coloured edge around each freckle. The spots are round and almost black. It's a juvenile male, not in pre-molt.

Spiders don't have freckles like we do, but that's the only way I can describe it. A google search brings up so many unrelated hits. Ya'll are the best resource. It's not my photo so I'm not going to snag it but I did tell them to post here. But, T skin with "freckles" as seen in the OPs photos. Any answers?
You bumped a thread from 2003 over freckels?? I don’t know what they are none of my Ts have any . Prob just a regular skin condition. Now if it were a cyst I’d worry .