Help with research on B. Smithi in the wild

Ts are #1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everyone im doing a research paper on B. Smithi in the wild. What i would like to know more then anything is the amount remaining in the wild, and how the steps on how were trying to save them in the wild. Any information on them in the wild would be fine, but i would really love to know more about those two feilds. thank you :biggrin:

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
?Doing a research paper?
? You mean some sort of search-the-internet and get information. Is it something for school/college/etc?, or just for your
own interest please explain.

As does 'Metallica', I also recommend that guys website wholeheartedly. Very well researched. He's even been to mexico.

I wonder if he will add the other Brachypelma species with no links yet? I hear B.albopilosum is easy to find in the wild, so was surprised to see he doesnt yet have links to wild pictures of that beautiful species yet especially.

There is also this excellent journal article. Not specifically on B.smithi alone, but covers other Brachypelma species also.
West, R. (2005) The Brachypelma of Mexico. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 20(4): 108 - 119.

@Lopez. ? Point being? / As i understand it, The BTS non-handling policy is something that is enforced at the Annual trade show/meeting, preventing spiders escaping or any living things being hurt. As i understand it, handling pictures again are not accepted in the BTS journal, so to not encourage inexperienced members to handle the spiders. Again to stop all getting hurt. The non-handling policy in general though is advisory. The commitee advocates non-handling as the suggested best option for all involved. What any BTS members do themselves in their own time is their own business, especially on their own websites, even well-experienced committee members. As really, we are all pretty-much free to make our own life-choices about how we deal with tarantulas, especially those who are just hobby.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As does 'Metallica', I also recommend that guys website wholeheartedly. Very well researched. He's even been to mexico.
Metallica is that guy who made the website hehe!
-Chris

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@Lopez. ? Point being? / As i understand it, The BTS non-handling policy is something that is enforced at the Annual trade show/meeting, preventing spiders escaping or any living things being hurt. As i understand it, handling pictures again are not accepted in the BTS journal, so to not encourage inexperienced members to handle the spiders. Again to stop all getting hurt. The non-handling policy in general though is advisory. The commitee advocates non-handling as the suggested best option for all involved. What any BTS members do themselves in their own time is their own business, especially on their own websites, even well-experienced committee members. As really, we are all pretty-much free to make our own life-choices about how we deal with tarantulas, especially those who are just hobby.
Calm yourself Longhorn, I was joking :p

Trust you committee members to stick together ;)

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah, Lopez ="Leon Lane". !! I see now. Had i seen it was you before, i would have replied differently! HA - clearly this lack of real names on the forum can lead to some misunderstandings ! :) hehe

But, yes, no worries Syndicate "Chris Allen", i know Metallica "Eddy Hijmensen" rather well. Even his clog size.
My comment remains valid, it's a damn good website, hopefully will give the OP some useful info.

As apparently the BTS stick together (which indeed Eddy/I are now part of for better or worse), i will further add a link to a DVD by the BTS chairman on Mexican Brachypelma which could both be very interesting and useful to the OP in the search for information. I dont think it addresses things like the OP wants like 'numbers in the wild' but it does provide information on how they live etc in their native habitat.

"In Search of Mexico’s Brachypelma Red Leg Tarantulas - Along the Pacific Slopes of the Sierra Madre Mountains"
http://thebts.co.uk/forums/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=183
"A new DVD from Andrew Smith – In search of Mexico’s Brachypelma Red Leg Tarantulas in the Sierra Madre Mountains. Brilliant tarantula images, habitat shots and tons of field data - and a great soundtrack." Note: new=2008.
More info and a preview here: http://www.thebts.co.uk/lecturesmith.html

Of course, i think Lopez ("Leon") already noticed the BTS chairman is shown holding a live tarantula on the cover of his own DVD !!
Hopefully none of the other members of that field team are shown holding tarantulas, particularly that young handsome guy who always wears a light baseball cap in photos. Between us, i think he does that to hide his premature baldness!!

Regards to all, sjl197 "Stuart Longhorn". :)

Last edited: