Help with new Pinktoe

pinkytoe

Arachnopeon
I've had my pinktoe for about a month now. She was eating pretty regularly (one cricket about every two days), but lately she hasn't seem interested. I came in one morning and she has created a weird "tunnel" of webbing that she spends all of her time in. Now, my question is: how is she supposed to eat in there? Do I shove a cricket in there with her? Or put it outside of the tunnel and let her come out when she's hungry? I have no idea what to do! Please, if you have any advice, I'd love to hear it. :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That tunnel is her home. It's how they live in nature. The diminished appetite and construction of the tube web could indicate an upcoming molt. As for eating, if she's hungry and there's a cricket or 2 in there she will come out and catch them when she's ready.

A few things you should know:
-If she continues not eating that means (probably) an upcoming molt. Make sure to remove any uneaten prey after 24 hours as they can actually hurt a freshly molted spider.

-Pinktoes like it humid, are you misting the sides of the tank and the substrate evry 2-3 days? Also there should be enough ventilation that the air doesn't get stagnant.

-What are you using for substrate and does she have anything to climb on? A. avicularia (pink toes) are arboreal and need more height than floorspace. They like some branches or fake plants to climb around on and attach their webbing to.

Maybe you could post a pic of the whole enclosure?

Welcome to the hobby and congrats!

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sounds like your spider had a lot to eat. mist the webbing and the walls every couple of days or so, and wait till it comes out itself...no need to worry.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby and to the boards. To start with, you have an Avicularia avicularia or pinktoe, they need higher humidity than most T's. Either mist the enclosure about twice a week or keep the substrate moist, not soaking wet, moist.
If you are feeding every two days that is to much. Feed 1 to 2 crickets once a week. Make sure you provide a water dish and that it is always full.
The tube web is completely natural, it is just what avics do. Sometimes when they are moved to a new house, they can take several days to several months to build their webs again, but it is a good sign that yours has, it means he or she is settling in.
Now that the tube web has been built, you will see you T mostly at night. Enjoy it, pinktoes are super cute!!!!!!!!

pinkytoe

Arachnopeon
Firstly, thanks so much for your rapid reply!

As far as her bedding goes, I went with what they had been using in the pet store- coconut bark. The pet store guy assured me it would work fine as a substrate. I hope he was not mistaken.

Her tank is wider than it is tall, just a standard little aquarium with a screen top. So I know she's at least getting good ventilation. As far as misting goes, I haven't been spraying that often, but will start to mist her enclosure every 2-3 days as suggested. I don't have any fake plants in there, but can get some if need be.

I wondered if she was getting ready to molt (we've had a rosehair for about three years now), which is why I haven't been putting in any more crickets, but I'll throw one in there and see what she does with it.

*And no, she doesn't stay on the computer desk under that lamp all day- that was just for the picture! :p

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how big is your pink? one cricket every two days seems like too much food unless your goal is to powerfeed of course.

If it has started to refuse food it means either its in pre-molt mode or not hungry. nothing to worry about, tarantulas can go without food for a long period of time. just make sure you keep the humidity high and your enclosure well ventilated to prevent molds and mites.

pinkytoe

Arachnopeon
how big is your pink? one cricket every two days seems like too much food unless your goal is to powerfeed of course.
She's tiny compared to our rosehair, but I don't know what's normal for avics. The care sheet they gave us at the pet store said to feed them about 3 times a week, which is why I was feeding her so much. I'll cut back if she only needs a cricket a week. It's frustrating to hear different things from so many different sources! lol But I'd rather go with advice from other t owners :p

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She's tiny compared to our rosehair, but I don't know what's normal for avics. The care sheet they gave us at the pet store said to feed them about 3 times a week, which is why I was feeding her so much. I'll cut back if she only needs a cricket a week. It's frustrating to hear different things from so many different sources! lol But I'd rather go with advice from other t owners :p
don't worry you came to the right place, you'll learn how to properly care for your t's here. we all have similar stories with pet shops, they are notorious for giving really bad advice :wall:

I have two pinks and they are both around the 4" inch, I keep mine in an enclosure similar to yours but tossed to the side so the enclosure can be taller upwards. Since pinks are arboreal tarantulas you'll need to provide them with more space upwards and less ground as they rarely stay in the bottom as terrestrial t's do.

I only feed mine one cricket per week and that's really all they need. The more you feed the faster they'll molt and the quicker they'll mature and die. Adult t's don't molt as often as slings and juvies and it also depends what type of sp. you have. You won't see your hair rose molting often because rose hairs are specially known to be really slow growers so even as slings you won't see them molting as frequently as a brazilian salmon sp. does ie.

I do keep a water dish but without the sponge as it can harbor bacterias and such. it's just unnecesary because t's can drink without it just fine, just mist often to keep humidity high for your avic and you should be ok.

If you also do a search on "arboreal set-ups" or "arboreal enclosures" you can get tons of ideas on how your arboreal set-up should be looking like.

Welcome to the boards too hope you enjoy your stay :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Firstly, thanks so much for your rapid reply!

As far as her bedding goes, I went with what they had been using in the pet store- coconut bark. The pet store guy assured me it would work fine as a substrate. I hope he was not mistaken.

Her tank is wider than it is tall, just a standard little aquarium with a screen top. So I know she's at least getting good ventilation. As far as misting goes, I haven't been spraying that often, but will start to mist her enclosure every 2-3 days as suggested. I don't have any fake plants in there, but can get some if need be.

I wondered if she was getting ready to molt (we've had a rosehair for about three years now), which is why I haven't been putting in any more crickets, but I'll throw one in there and see what she does with it.

*And no, she doesn't stay on the computer desk under that lamp all day- that was just for the picture! :p
that sponge is a bacteria breeding ground. you need to get rid of it asap.

pinkytoe

Arachnopeon
Thank you all so much for your help!

Pinktoe23, I'm intrigued... if you use an enclosure like mine, what do you cover the open side with? I'd love to see a picture of your setup, if you didn't mind...

And the sponge is no more! I have thrown it away, never to harbor bacteria again. :) I'm moving back to my college apartment this weekend and will be hitting up the local pet store for a better water dish, and once I'm settled I plan on figuring out the best way to house my little girl. I must admit though, the thought of ruining her perfect little home is upsetting, never mind how terrified I will be when I have to put her in something else while I do all this. I'm such a wuss, I love looking at her but am so scared to touch her. lol

Last edited:

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well I meant similar to yours not that same exact one. Mine is a 5 gallon and has a locking slide screen on top. I place the enclosure to the side so that the pinks have more room upwards and when the side screen is opened it doesn't disturb them or their webbings. my enclosures are nothing special, they're similar to the arboreal set ups in the enclosure thread. they each have a tall log to climb with some artificial leaves in the bottom and their water dish. that's really all they need :)

also don't be scared, you don't have to handle her if you're not ready for it. A long paintbrush is a tool that comes in very handy when keeping t's. You can gently touch her butt and make her move forward into the direction you want to place her into a plastic container with a lid while you rehouse her. be gentle and don't startle her. pinks are fast and can escape your sight before you can prevent it so take precautions and do it in a closed room.

best of luck! you'll get more comfortable once you get used to her behaviour.