Help with G. rosea

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thats another reason why, ive never changed the substrate and its been 6 months and as far as i know and heard, i have to change it twice a year, correct me if im wrong
That's actually good that you didn't change the substrate so far. They rely on their webbing to tell them where they are (sort of), and changing it often can be stressfull.

Not sure what is going on here...
@cold blood @EulersK maybe have a clue?

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
That's actually good that you didn't change the substrate so far. They rely on their webbing to tell them where they are (sort of), and changing it often can be stressfull.

Not sure what is going on here...
@cold blood @EulersK maybe have a clue?
Well at least i got that right lol should i go for it tho? I mean, the dirt is clumped up anyways, and thats the only thing that comes to mind, i dont know what else to do

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well at least i got that right lol should i go for it tho? I mean, the dirt is clumped up anyways, and thats the only thing that comes to mind, i dont know what else to do
No, don't do that. Several of my tarantulas have been on the same substrate for years. Every time you replace it, they start all over in a new environment.

I'd like to see the whole enclosure. The lack of a hide is worrying (yes, I know that you've since provided one). This sounds like a stressed T to me. Everything is speculation though, because all we have is a picture of pedipalps and one of an exuvia. Can we see the entire enclosure?

cold blood

Staff member
Thats another reason why, ive never changed the substrate and its been 6 months and as far as i know and heard, i have to change it twice a year, correct me if im wrong
Ok, correction made...you're wrong.:D

Substrate doesn't just go bad, the only reason to change it is because of a catastrophic mold or pest problem...or because the t needs an enclosure upgrade.

I've got the same sub in part of my porteri enclosure that I put in over 16 years ago.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Ok, correction made...you're wrong.:D

Substrate doesn't just go bad, the only reason to change it is because of a catastrophic mold or pest problem...or because the t needs an enclosure upgrade.

I've got the same sub in part of my porteri enclosure that I put in over 16 years ago.
Well, who would have thought? Lol okay, good to know

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
No, don't do that. Several of my tarantulas have been on the same substrate for years. Every time you replace it, they start all over in a new environment.

I'd like to see the whole enclosure. The lack of a hide is worrying (yes, I know that you've since provided one). This sounds like a stressed T to me. Everything is speculation though, because all we have is a picture of pedipalps and one of an exuvia. Can we see the entire enclosure?
This is her enclosure, she has been there since i got her 6 months ago, and she was eating, not climbing and she molted with no issues. She never used her hide so i decided to give it to my vinegaroon. As i said, this climbing, not eating, digging started around january 5. I put a hide in there when this started and she wouldnt use it anyways.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This is her enclosure, she has been there since i got her 6 months ago, and she was eating, not climbing and she molted with no issues. She never used her hide so i decided to give it to my vinegaroon. As i said, this climbing, not eating, digging started around january 5. I put a hide in there when this started and she wouldnt use it anyways.
It's her choice to not use a hide, not yours. All animals need a spot to go to feel safe. My money is on the spider being uncomfortable. Now that it has a hide again (or did you take it back out?), leave her be for a few weeks and see if she settles down.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
It's her choice to not use a hide, not yours. All animals need a spot to go to feel safe. My money is on the spider being uncomfortable. Now that it has a hide again (or did you take it back out?), leave her be for a few weeks and see if she settles down.
I did, i left it there for around two weeks or more, and she ended up covering most of the hide (and the entrance) with all the dirt she moved, but never went inside, just kept climbing

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I did, i left it there for around two weeks or more, and she ended up covering most of the hide (and the entrance) with all the dirt she moved, but never went inside, just kept climbing
Okay, please put the hide back in. Let her do with it what she wants.

My guess as a whole is that she's just trying to settle in from being bothered. In the end, nothing to worry about, but she requires a hide.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Okay, please put the hide back in. Let her do with it what she wants.

My guess as a whole is that she's just trying to settle in from being bothered. In the end, nothing to worry about, but she requires a hide.
Okay. Im gonna go that right now, see if it works, if not you'll see another thread in a couple of weeks

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Okay. Im gonna go that right now, see if it works, if not you'll see another thread in a couple of weeks
Use souffle cups for a water dish instead of those hard reptile water dishes. They are much softer in the event that she falls or drags herself over it.

Mine has also webbed over the entrance to the hide but periodically she will tear it down and go inside. Here is the evidence.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Use souffle cups for a water dish instead of those hard reptile water dishes. They are much softer in the event that she falls or drags herself over it.

Mine has also webbed over the entrance to the hide but periodically she will tear it down and go inside. Here is the evidence.
I have a plastic water bowl, i will switch them. Also, she used to web all over the floor, but now she never does, and she has not gone in her hide yet, just chills on top of it

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Grammostola just like other T's dig and rearrange their enclosures. Both of mine are right now doing seasonal maintenance on theirs. In particular they seam to like having a garbage pit, which one just filled in only to make another. My mature male used its hide for the first time in 6 months last Saturday, but not since.....He also practices Tai Chi on a regular basis.

Oh, and your rosea doesn't want to be held.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Something that I haven't seen anyone else mention, is the mood swings rosea/porteri's are known for. She may have simply had an "attitude" change.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Grammostola just like other T's dig and rearrange their enclosures. Both of mine are right now doing seasonal maintenance on theirs. In particular they seam to like having a garbage pit, which one just filled in only to make another. My mature male used its hide for the first time in 6 months last Saturday, but not since.....He also practices Tai Chi on a regular basis.

Oh, and your rosea doesn't want to be held.
Well, i think im just gonna let her do whatever she wants then, and im done handling, not worth the risk

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Something that I haven't seen anyone else mention, is the mood swings rosea/porteri's are known for. She may have simply had an "attitude" change.
I think i heard about that, who knows, maybe she is just being a normal rosea

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
I've experienced pretty much the exact same thing as OP. My G. porteri was a crazy eater taking down multiple superworms at once and never refused food ever. Then she decided to go on a fast, and its been 1 year, 3 months and counting since she last accepted any food at all and shes still FAT. I have observed her drinking from her water dish though. She was never a burrower and loved her hide but after around 6 or 7 months of fasting, completely buried her old hide and began burrowing, but also never uses her burrow and sits out in the open, roaming around all the time and occasionally climbing. Her temperament also changed as she began throwing threat postures just like OP has experienced. They are known to fast for super long periods of time so no need to worry. As long as the T is still looking fat and healthy, just make sure the water bowl is full.

Last edited:

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
I've experienced pretty much the exact same thing as OP. My G. porteri was a crazy eater taking down multiple superworms at once and never refused food ever. Then she decided to go on a fast, and its been 1 year, 3 months and counting since she last accepted any food at all and shes still FAT. I have observed her drinking from her water dish though. She was never a burrower and loved her hide but after around 6 or 7 months of fasting, completely buried her old hide and began burrowing, but also never uses her burrow and sits out in the open, roaming around all the time and occasionally climbing. Her temperament also changed as she began throwing threat postures just like OP has experienced. They are known to fast for super long periods of time so no need to worry. As long as the T is still looking fat and healthy, just make sure the water bowl is full.
I wish i could keep her water dish full, she moves the dirt around soooo much that she always dries up the bowl by throwimg the dirt in the water

cold blood

Staff member
Just to be clear, the activity you are seeing is not an indicator of any problem whatsoever. Sometimes they just get in those moods for a period of time, then all of a sudden, back to pet rock.

Mine's always really active just before molting, but yours molted 6 months ago...its likely not even close to its next molt. My advice is to just relax and enjoy the extra bit of activity...its actually nice to see this in a rosie once in a while....gets boring seeing it not move for months at a time.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Just to be clear, the activity you are seeing is not an indicator of any problem whatsoever. Sometimes they just get in those moods for a period of time, then all of a sudden, back to pet rock.

Mine's always really active just before molting, but yours molted 6 months ago...its likely not even close to its next molt. My advice is to just relax and enjoy the extra bit of activity...its actually nice to see this in a rosie once in a while....gets boring seeing it not move for months at a time.
Thankfully, I thought she was annoyed by something. I agree, its actually fun to watch her dig and move, but im still worried about the not eating, eventhough she doesnt look skinny at all