help wanted with transporting my roaches

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've a small colony of B. Giganteus that I will be taking home with me come christmas break. Anyway, though for most of the trip they'll be inside a nice, warm bus, there is one part where I will be waiting for a train, at a outdoors train station. The WORST scenario is that the train will take up to 20 minutes to arrive, and that the temperature will be around 30F. Obviously that is not good for the roaches.

I've thought of using some sort of mobile heat source (maybe one of those gel heat pads), but don't have much experience with this kinda stuff. Is there anything you'd recommend to help my roaches survive the worst case scenario? I've thought of keeping them inside a small tupperware container, wrap a BIG layer of newspaper/cotton around it and stuff the whole thing inside the critter keeper, but I am not sure if it'll be effective enough.

Anyway, any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated, since the little guys HAVE grown on me in the short time I've had them :p

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How about a cooler? Styrofoam coolers are cheap, or you could get one of those soft coolers that look like luggage (complete with handles and shoulder strap) anyway. Get one big enough to hold a critter keeper and you should be fine.

Wade

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks!

I looked for information on different types of coolers on ebay, and also did some digging in the message board archives. Seems like a cooler (and maybe a heat pad or two on the side) will definitely be the way to go.

Thanks for the quick & helpful reply. Mom will be pleasantly surprised this christmas (she thought I bought the plastic aquarium for fish). :D

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be honest your roaches would probably be absolutely fine with no additional heat at all. They are incredibly hardy and the low temperatures are just going to slow them down and not kill them. As long as they are warmed up slowly as well, they can survive near freezing temps for some time. If you really want to make sure, try getting a polystyrene box (asking at a tropical fish shop is a good place to start) and one of those microwaveable heat pads, but make sure it is ventilated as it might get too hot.

Cheers,