HELP! Rescue tarantula has Vaseline on eyes

Aussiespiders92

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

Posting here as I trust the advice from here.

I recently came into possession of a tarantula that a friend was keeping. They had not used enough substrate, and the T fell and had an abdominal rupture.

I treated the rupture using Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to stop the bleeding, and it has hardened up now. She is also eating much better.

However, the T has managed to transfer some Vaseline from its abdomen onto its eyepieces, assumedly while cleaning. I can tell this as they appear darker and wet, while not being wet. It is clear she transferred some of the jelly onto a few of her eyes.

I do not wish to attempt removal of the jelly, as it could cause mechanical damage to the eyes.

She does not seem impeded sight-wise and is behaving normally so far.

My main question is - should this resolve by next moult? I was already hanging out for the next moult to heal the ruptured abdominal scar, but would assume it would also replace the caps over the eyepieces.

Is this correct, and should I simply continue business as usual and wait for a moult? Or is it imperative that I attempt to remove the Vaseline from the facial area? There is not enough to take off a lot at a time - she seems to have “wiped” some over with her leg.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Leave it be. The eye cap is shed with the rest of the exuvia during a molt so yes, it will be replaced. Additionally, tarantulas have fairly poor vision, and therefore rely primarilly on other senses. IIRC there is an article/paper somewhere about a completely eyeless L. parahybana which was able to function just fine completely without sight. :)

Aussiespiders92

Arachnopeon
Leave it be. The eye cap is shed with the rest of the exuvia during a molt so yes, it will be replaced. Additionally, tarantulas have fairly poor vision, and therefore rely primarilly on other senses. IIRC there is an article/paper somewhere about a completely eyeless L. parahybana which was able to function just fine completely without sight. :)
Thank you so much for the quick reply! It is very reassuring.

I did believe that the eye caps would be shed as well, but I wasn’t 100% sure and I was kicking myself for it in the meantime! I was so pleased to have healed the rupture, that I left her alone to continue healing, only to see the facial Vaseline a few days later

Thanks again for the reassurance. I’ve never had a T spread it before themselves, so it was worrying for me.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Thank you so much for the quick reply! It is very reassuring.

I did believe that the eye caps would be shed as well, but I wasn’t 100% sure and I was kicking myself for it in the meantime! I was so pleased to have healed the rupture, that I left her alone to continue healing, only to see the facial Vaseline a few days later

Thanks again for the reassurance. I’ve never had a T spread it before themselves, so it was worrying for me.
In the future, just use a bit of cornstarch to stop any rupture from leaking. It's works much better to help them clot.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yep, cornstarch is the way to go in the future. Never super glue! I have no idea how that myth got started, but please, never super glue.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, cornstarch is the way to go in the future. Never super glue! I have no idea how that myth got started, but please, never super glue.
Why not super glue? Keepers and veterinary staff have used it for decades with good results. It just shouldn't be applied on joints or near the book lungs or spinnerets.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Why not super glue? Keepers and veterinary staff have used it for decades with good results. It just shouldn't be applied on joints or near the book lungs or spinnerets.
Maybe it has more to do with the one using the super glue? I've used super glue for years to close cuts on my hands (mechanic) and it's worked well for me. It can be messy to work with which I can see how that could be potentially problematic with an animal smaller than a cat or dog. If you make a mess with cornstarch or miss your target, its just powder.

I did find that the catalyst for super glue is called cyanoacrylate, which is considered to be mildly toxic. Could the fumes of the super glue catalyst flashing off be toxic to inverts?

Just a thought. I could be totally wrong for the reasons of 'why not'.

cold blood

Staff member
I think the biggest reason you wouldn't want to use super glue is the fact that tarantulas don't grow like you or me or the dog or cat.....molting means sliding one exoskeleton out from underneath the other. When you put glue on a hole, you're potentially putting glue on both exoskeletons or at least beyond the one that is at the exterior.

So this could potentially cause the next molt, which should be the molt that fixes the problem, to instead gets stuck to the other one and prevent a successful molt.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The petroleum jelly is harmless. Sometimes used to protect the eye after cataract operations: Dry eye syndrome.