Help please!

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
So today I went to look at my emp's tank and i found out it has little tiny white insects crawling around all over the place. They look like crickets but they can climb the glass. how do i get rid of theM?
and will this harm my emp???
help please!

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Prob this going by what you said, but maybe not:? . Copied it from another section. Very common prob.

"I'm not sure the mites you have there are grain mites but that would sure be my bet. I first saw them years ago when I'd buy meal worms. Meal worms and store bought crickets, that's how my animals would get the mites. The mite's love the meal worm food that's in the containers. I saw 1000's of them slowly crawling on a glass table I put the meal worm container on. After taking macro shots of store bought crickets, I could see the mite's on them also. The mites probably feed on the food the cricket suppliers feed them. As an animal molts, the mites will walk around looking for the new exoskel to get on before they are through molting. I've watched them, mostly on centipedes because that's what I have the most of. I had 2 P. murinus for 2 years I acquired as CB slings. They where never on substrate of any kind. About a year later, I noticed they had mites in the hypopus stage mostly attached on soft tissue just like in your pic. Almost surely got them from store bought crickets. I thought they were parasitic for years. I isolated an infested centipede on nothing but plastic for 2 months. Didn't help at all. That's when I read that the grain mites can survive 7 to 8 months in the hypopus stage ..in dry conditions. Here are a couple of links and one is where I got the quote. I'm not saying they are grain mites, but it's a good bet. I've got pred mites in my cages now so it's not prob for me anymore. Allot more info on this if you do a search. good luck."

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th7g.htm

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/fa...lour_mites.htm

At some time during the juvenile period, grain mites may change into a stage known as the hypopus. During this unique stage, the body wall hardens and suckers appear on the underside. These suckers allow the mite to attach to insects and other animals for dispersal. The eggs and especially the hypopuses appear to be more tolerant of insecticides than other juveniles or adults; and they may be the primary stage responsible for resurgences in mite populations after chemical control appeared to have been successful.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if they look like tiny crickets then they are pinhead crickets. you get ride of them you can either place straws in the tank, one end blocked. Or you can just let them die off, as they are prone to drowning themselves and starving.

Will they harm your Scorpion? most likely no, but they might aggravate it. As for them climbing on the wall of the tank they do that because there is something there, most likely water stains.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
if they look like tiny crickets then they are pinhead crickets. you get ride of them you can either place straws in the tank, one end blocked. Or you can just let them die off, as they are prone to drowning themselves and starving.

Will they harm your Scorpion? most likely no, but they might aggravate it. As for them climbing on the wall of the tank they do that because there is something there, most likely water stains.
What if they arent baby crickets though? I've read that they could be springtales because they are attracted to moist environments...

When I came home today I noticed my emp was out of its hide, and she usually just comes out at night...

Would the straw trick still work for them??? I've placed a few around the terrarium like you said.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if they are springtails, don't worry about it. they eat decaying matter and don't bother the scorpions. i have a few in my larger emp tank and she happily popped a brood and went about her business.

>edit< Springtails look nothing like crickets.. so i will say again. If they look like little crickets, that's what they are

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Springtails look nothing like crickets.. so i will say again. If they look like little crickets, that's what they are

Crickets are pretty unmistakable. If it looks like a goat, and smells like a goat.....