Help needed, C. cyaneopubescens

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
I was at my local pet store today, picking up some supplies when I saw this poor C. cyaneopubescens, in a filthy, mold infested container. It's about 2.5 to 3 inches. Severely neglected, no water dish. Looks to be on the verge of starving. Very little movement. I immediately got that poor thing out of there and just got it home. I just rehoused it in a new container, provided a water dish, and presented it with food. This poor thing won't eat and will barely move. A little advice would be appreciated in hopes of nursing it back to health. I just hope it is not beyond saving. This is by no means my first T. I have just never seen one this poorly cared for in the past. 20160820_145222.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally think it's beyond saving. However, I would turn it over and provide water in a drop wise fashion onto its mouth/fangs area. See if it drinks, that's step one.

How much did you pay for that? Rescuing such animals only reinforces their negative business practices.

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
The store is going out of business for animal cruelty charges, I just figured I could try to give it a good home or at least let it die with some dignity.

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
I paid $120 for it. In cases like this, you can't put a price on life. Good news, it did drink a little water. Fingers crossed for now.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
The back left (or right?) leg makes me think if was a victim of a wet-molt. It could just the the angle of the pic though.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I would make sure whatever food you have in there is prekilled if you didn't already just because it's weak. It might scavenge. But I wouldn't put live food in with it right after rehousing it, not unless it took it immediately but if it showed no interest I'd remove it immediately. You made sure it had access to water, trying to get it to drink like viper said is the best step right now. And no you can't exactly put a price on life, but....well I personally am not in a position to be able to put 120 down on a 'might make it' situation, glad you were able to pull that off and I hope it pulls through for you.

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
It is having trouble moving that back left leg. It did crawl into the hide I provided for it, so I will let it be for now.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Good god I've never seen a GBB abdomen so tiny. I hope you told them to shove their $120 you know where.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Did you happen to notice if the substrate it had in the store was wet? It may have had an overload of humidity since this is an arid species. Just throwing out ideas here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I paid $120 for it. In cases like this, you can't put a price on life. Good news, it did drink a little water. Fingers crossed for now.
WOW, that's crazy, crazy. I thought maybe you would be getting a discount, as in FREE, given its poor health to be polite.

You are right, in cases like this I don't put a price on life, I expect it for free.

Well that's good news, more than I'd expect.

Just keep adding water as you see it decrease. Hopefully its legs will start to move. IF you get lucky it will turn over (not out of the woods at all if it does).

If it doesn't but appears alive, give it a mealworm "soup", applied the same way. They are higher in fat than crix (what isn't) and would be helpful in this case.

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
It was dry when I got it, but due to the amount of mold in there, I'm guessing it was fairly wet at one point.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
WOW, that's crazy, crazy. I thought maybe you would be getting a discount, as in FREE, given its poor health to be polite.

You are right, in cases like this I don't put a price on life, I expect it for free.

Well that's good news, more than I'd expect.

Just keep adding water as you see it decrease. Hopefully its legs will start to move. IF you get lucky it will turn over (not out of the woods at all if it does).

If it doesn't but appears alive, give it a mealworm "soup", applied the same way. They are higher in fat than crix (what isn't) and would be helpful in this case.
It crawled into the hide! Movement is present.

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
I do part time work in wildlife rehab, and most days I come home thinking, "I really hate people"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It was dry when I got it, but due to the amount of mold in there, I'm guessing it was fairly wet at one point.
Man it lives, I'll be surprised. The fact that it moved, surprises me based on your description and its looks. HARDY species w/out doubt.

Good luck!

cold blood

Staff member
Here's one of those instances I wish I had the "facepalm" icon available to me....I don't so I will go with :banghead:

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
The back left (or right?) leg makes me think if was a victim of a wet-molt. It could just the the angle of the pic though.
Could it be an infection from the mold that is making it sick?
Infection from mold? That's a new one.

I agree though, it clearly had a bad molt...I doubt its eaten since, could easily have troubles with its mouthparts/sucking stomach after a bad molt like that, and not being fed in a timely fashion isn't a help either. If this thing survives, go buy a lottery ticket and see if you can keep the good luck rolling.

Good luck, and I would offer only pre killed prey.