Help- My Tarantula isn't acting normal.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah, that doesn't look good. Get rid of the heat mats and try slowly dropping water into the mouth with syringe or pipette if you have one.

At this stage its worth a shot. I dont think there is much else ypu can do for it.

Angel9999

Arachnopeon
The heat mats aren't plugged in right now. We only use them in the winter if it's really cold.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The heat mats aren't plugged in right now. We only use them in the winter if it's really cold.
Well at least that's something.

Do you have a syringe or medicine dropper? Try putting a drop of water on its mouth (not fangs) and see if it takes it...

Also... picture?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That image does not paint a very good picture sorry to say. But as others have said you need to get rid of those heat mats ASAP. One is bad enough but two is a death sentence guaranteed. Unless your house is below the 60's there is no need for supplemental heating for a spider the size of the one you posted.

Is it a male? I cannot tell from the picture. A male in its final molt stage (matured with tibial hooks) is on borrowed time due to natural causes. If it is female then the abdomen is awful skinny and I would not be surprised if those heat mats helped speed it into oblivion. Males will sometimes try to molt after they are matured with hooks and that is a death sentence 99% of the time.

Also, I see there is quite a distance from the ground to the top. There should not be that much space from the bottom to the top. A fall is a high risk in a tank with that much space between the substrate and the top.

Angel9999

Arachnopeon
I have a syringe and will try the water. Our house gets extremely cold in winter so that's what they are for. Aren't used this time of year. Not for sure that we do have a female. We only got it last winter and was told that it was a female.
Thank you for all the advice.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a syringe and will try the water. Our house gets extremely cold in winter so that's what they are for. Aren't used this time of year. Not for sure that we do have a female. We only got it last winter and was told that it was a female.
Thank you for all the advice.
Keep us updated and... can you post a closer picture (top view) of your tarantula?