help my rosie has a serious injury!!!

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are virtually no vets who can help you-( if you COULD find one that knows anything about T's I'd be shocked) your best bet is to do a lot more reading and educate yourself so that you know what to do in a situation like this. Mature males will wander and climb all the time looking for a female- they only have one thing on their minds! So you need to make sure the enclosure is as safe for him as you can make it. Substrate should be up to 1 legspan of the lid so he cannot be injured in a fall.(meaning if the T is 5", there should only be 5"of space between substrate and lid) If you still want to handle him-or any T- do it on a bed or some such soft piece of furniture so a fall doesn't injure him further or kill him. My advice is to leave him alone with fresh water as others said. Water is vital for a T who has been "bleeding". Good luck with him!

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi and welcome to the boards. maybe not a very good introduction on my part, BUT:

get a good book on tarantulas! maybe the tarantula keeper's guide.

1. your g. rosea is a male, no doubt about that. ONLY mature males have tibial hooks. how long have you had him and when was his ultimate (last) molt? depending on that, his lifespan is very limited now (a year, maybe only months). even if he attempts to molt again, he has only about a 1% chance of surviving that.

2. as long as you have sealed the wounds and he has access to water, he should be fine. he will autotomize the damaged leg himself if he feels the need.

3. no, he is not an amazing arachnid, he's just a normal rosehair. he does not stay when you tell him - he's a tarantula for god's sake, he can't even hear you! he stays because rosehairs are notorious pet rocks and avoid moving. he is not a dog, and treating him like one is mistreating him.

please read up on taratula biology, for your t's sake. yes, i do love all my ts, but i am also aware of the fact that they are very, very primitive. he cannot hear you, understand you or do what you say. also, he cannot 'like' people. he doesn't even have a nervous system complex enough that allows him to perceive pain as mammals do. so handling him is something you do for your own pleasure, not for his, even if he tolerates it (btw, passivity in a mature male might mean that he is nearing his end).

how come he injured himself anyway? if you provide him with a proper tank and do not let him run loose (telling him to 'stay') there should not be a chance of him damaging several legs at once...

sorry, i am trying to be fair, but your post just sounds like you know nothing about the animal you keep.
And the award for best people skills goes to :clap: :clap: ;P :clap: :clap:

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
daniel: i know that rosies are amazing ts - just like any other t. but she said her rosie was amazing because she would stay if told so...

phil and jr: sorry, i've seen too many ts die horrible deaths because their owners didn't take the time to reasearch beforehand. so i will not say i am tolarant of this when i am not. all i told pink tarantula was to read up on her pet and stop thinking it is like a dog, for it's not. i didn't abuse her and i wasn't harsh. it's up to her if she wants to take advice that will help her in the hobby or not.
there have been a few times on here ive had people make me feel really stupid for asking questions. i agree that people should do research before they buy a pet. and alot die simply because they dont do that. sorry if your offended. i do understand your feelings but she is trying to find information and learn and i did think you came across a bit harsh. a lot of people come here trying to learn from people like you. ive learned a lot from just reading threads and from asking stupid questions. but i really hate it when people seem to try to make me look stupid.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there have been a few times on here ive had people make me feel really stupid for asking questions. i agree that people should do research before they buy a pet. and alot die simply because they dont do that. sorry if your offended. i do understand your feelings but she is trying to find information and learn and i did think you came across a bit harsh. a lot of people come here trying to learn from people like you. ive learned a lot from just reading threads and from asking stupid questions. but i really hate it when people seem to try to make me look stupid.
well done :clap: :clap: :clap: i know how some people can make you feel like as if you should not ask ?? or use the search button some will be very good and help as for some others !!! :wall: :wall: :wall: you soon know how they will be :( :( :( :( ---- phil

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that was a bit OTT alice especially on point 3...just because you may not think rosehairs are amazing he/she was just giving their opinion .. even though you where trying to help.
I think she was taking this entire quote in context:

is a pretty amazing arachnide:
She will stay when i tell her to and she is in love with anybody (very very mild)
Had this been the same situation with a P. metallica, I highly doubt Alice's response would have been any different. Perhaps the word spider would have better replaced Rose Hair in Alice's quote.

Pink Tarantula: Toilet paper, corn starch or clear nail polish (safest to least safe fix, use in that order if one doesn't stop the bleeding) over the cut to stop the bleeding. Then, let him rest in an ICU for a few days.

The prognosis for males is pretty grim. Males usually die a year or so after their maturing moult. Some live far less, and one of the moderators has a specimen of the same species you have that has held on for five years. These cases are the vast minority, of course.

So, there's two options with males. You can send him out on a breeding loan, where the two keepers split the spiderlings down the middle (called a 50/50) or you can keep him until he kicks it.

Rosies are decently hard to breed, so you'd do best to send him to several females. The chances of getting a sack are generally 10% or so.

Like Alice said, spiders don't have the same mindset as dogs and fatalities during the mating process (mostly males) are somewhat common.

Welcome to the boards. It would behoove you to read as much of the quarter million pages of information we have stored here as you can stand. ;)

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to say that by some of Pink's comments, I have the feeling that she is pretty young-this is one thing to take into consideration.
I've been here for a long time; there have been many times when I've been harshly challenged by someone who thinks they know better than I do, or a comment that I made that they didn't like.-maybe they do, but there are diplomatic ways of addressing things about other people who bother you.
It would be nice if instead of turning so many threads into an argument,those of you who have a problem with someone would PM them-keep it private, and keeping on topic.(I'll be waiting for all those PM's from those of you who don't agree with me!;) )

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, that's what i meant cheshire - i own several grammostola spec. and would never call them 'unspecial' ;). i think someone telling me a p. metallica (or any pokie) listens when told to stay would have thrown me into a hysterical fit though {D.

i don't feel i need to apologize as i didn't call pink tarantula any names or some such. i feel i told a truth she badly needed to know. and as you can see in other threads, i am quite willing to help her out if she is willing to do what's good for her ts.