HELP !! my cobalt blue just molten and it seems like she's injured herself some how on her back

Thatjoekid

Arachnopeon
Where here abdomen joins there's like a sore or something does anybody know what I can do ? She's been acting very off and I've just noticed it now she's walking funny and won't go in her burrow anymore ? Help please

Attachments

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From the pictures, she looks fine. That spot you see is what connects the abdomen to the carapace. It doesn't look like a sore to me. Better pictures might prove otherwise.

How is she acting different? Maybe a picture of "her" pedipalps. Maybe it's a mature male on the look for a lady.

*Edit*

The funny walking may be due to being freshly molted and she needs to harden after it. The larger the T the longer it takes for them to harden after a molt. That may even be why she (if it's not a mature male) won't go back into her burrow. She needs to stretch.

Thatjoekid

Arachnopeon
Well she's reallu low to the ground and is rubbing underneath her abdomen. And its been about a week and a but since she brought the molt up from her burrow so I cant give a definitive answer on when she molted but her fangs areally black and she seems to be walking around fine it's just never seen her act like this before maybe it's nothing but I don't remember seeing it there before and can't get a decent picture because when I open the lid off she shoots then comes back out

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can't see anything wrong with your spider, but it looks like you need way more substrate in there. This is a burrowing species - you should have at least 2x the diagonal leg span of dirt depth.

Also, that exuvia (the "molt") won't tell us sex unless you get a clear picture of the area between the first set of book lungs. On the inside of the abdomen, of course.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She looks fine from the first pictures you posted. That spot to me looks like nothing more than what connects to carapace to the abdomen. Doesn't look like any sort of injury.

As stated, the molt is useless without looking in the correct spot. You probably do have a female. The only reason I suggested even being a MM was maybe the out of the burrow and wondering like MMs do.

As for the enclosure I personally would have something a little different. Something longer, wider and still offers the same depth.

Thatjoekid

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys was freaking out for a second there was getting the glue ready and was like I'm going to get bitten haha but yeah I need to find her a bigger enclosure soon as she's getting bigger Any tips to rehouse her I mean she's never given me a threat posture but that because she's always had a burrow to run and hide In but I betting as soon as she's out she's going to want blood and I don't want to get tagged by that beast

Bugmom

Arachnolord
You can do rehouses of faster/more potent Ts in your bathtub. They have trouble climbing the sides so even if they want to play ring-around-the-container, at least they won't go far.

Thatjoekid

Arachnopeon
You can do rehouses of faster/more potent Ts in your bathtub. They have trouble climbing the sides so even if they want to play ring-around-the-container, at least they won't go far.
thats a Good idea any ideas on a good enclosure ? Like the best size for a getting on 5"

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
She's got a good 9inchee of substrate in there and she's has a great burrow so she shold be fine on that but thanks for the concern
Hat off about the inches of substrate you offered, but IMO that jar, floor space talking, isn't the best from what I guess from the picture.

Ok, they burrow. They are obligate burrower, after all, but a nice minimum (for an adult) 30 cm floor space with maybe a piece of cork bark would be appreciated by your Theraphosidae. Again, the inches of substrate are perfect.

IMO those kind of jar are more suitable for Trapdoors.

Thatjoekid

Arachnopeon
Hat off about the inches of substrate you offered, but IMO that jar, floor space talking, isn't the best from what I guess from the picture.

Ok, they burrow. They are obligate burrower, after all, but a nice minimum (for an adult) 30 cm floor space with maybe a piece of cork bark would be appreciated by your Theraphosidae. Again, the inches of substrate are perfect.

IMO those kind of jar are more suitable for Trapdoors.
Thanks I just though as they're burrowers and tbh wasn't expecting to see her as much as I do I mean she has been out of her burrow for the past week at least and she comes out everyday at least once. When I got her I though it would be what a lot of people call a pet hole. So I didn't think floor space would be a issue but yeah I'll get on it thanks again I'll update when I have her in a new enclosure

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks I just though as they're burrowers and tbh wasn't expecting to see her as much as I do I mean she has been out of her burrow for the past week at least and she comes out everyday at least once. When I got her I though it would be what a lot of people call a pet hole. So I didn't think floor space would be a issue but yeah I'll get on it thanks again I'll update when I have her in a new enclosure
I understand, man. Actually they are pet holes, no doubts, but my experience with obligate burrowers housed in enclosures with (aside for lots of inches, always) a piece of cork bark and a starter hole near, is very positive. A normal KK XL size will work perfectly, btw.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
When is the last time you fed her? She might be out more looking for food? I notice my E.murinus shows more of itself when hungry. Don't have experience with this species though, just thinking out loud :)

Thatjoekid

Arachnopeon
When is the last time you fed her? She might be out more looking for food? I notice my E.murinus shows more of itself when hungry. Don't have experience with this species though, just thinking out loud :)
I gave her a cricket last Friday and I think she took it it ran down her burrow when she was in it silly bugger and that's all I know haven't seen it on the surface

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Settled, btw? :)
Do you spot those "Skeletron" legs near the burrow too, ah ah?
She (hopefully) has settled in like she owns the place :). Tunneling like mad bringing back substrate to pave the entrance with, and smooth it all over with nice webbing. Every evening except the three first since i've got her, she's out with four legs and carapace. Eating machine as well :p
Sorry OP, a bit offtopic ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I gave her a cricket last Friday and I think she took it it ran down her burrow when she was in it silly bugger and that's all I know haven't seen it on the surface
If she molted recently, she may be ready for more than one cricket :)