Help me with a post molted Pink Toe

I am TFC

Arachnopeon
The second T I've ever owned, a pink toe, was in the middle of molting when I came home.

Now, the only other T that I have that has molted ( a rose hair) did so upside down, on the ground. The Pink Toe was in the middle of trying to get free from it's skin, but it had molted while on the side of it's tank. It was mainly free, but a few of it's legs were stuck in the skin by it's very last joints.

After carefully moving it to a table, I gently pulled it free. It's whole, and I but it in a cup with a most napkin on the bottom.

Unfortunately, it's got it's legs pulled under it right now.

It's not fully grown, btw.

How normal is any of this for a pinktoe? Is there something else I can do for it? Something I did wrong?

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had my avic molt on her back and on it's side hanging. Depending on how long your T had been molting it may have been best to leave it and let it try to finish. It may have not been done yet. Avics are totally different then the g.rosea. They need to be misted and have some humidity. T's are very fragile while molting and after for a couple of weeks. Usually when a T pulls their legs under them, they are in a death curl. I hope your T pulls through. Keep us posted.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you should have left it alone. usually you wont encounter problem molts until they are mature. sometimes A. Avics. dont flip on their back because they are arboreal...they arent always afforded the opportunity to flip over while in a tree, etc. but it should be ok.

I am TFC

Arachnopeon
According to my wife, it had started this about fifteen minutes before I got home. She had misted the tank, but didn't know what to do.

When I got home, it was hanging by the two legs that were stuck in the skin, and one of it's hind legs was twisted around, which was why I took a hand as I did.

It's not in a death curl (which I've seen pics of before.... looks kind of like a fist, no?), it just has them drawn close to it. It's still moving a little, which I figure it's not going to be moving much any time soon.

So, is the cup with the moist napkin a good idea? For how long should I keep her like this if it is?

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is perfectly normal for an Avic avic to molt like that. You are correct that it is not in a death curl, after they molt they will pull their legs in for a while and just rest. Your best bet is to just leave it alone, it will get up once it's exoskeleton has hardened a bit. I don't think the whole moist napkin thing is really necessary, but since you have already moved it, it's not a good idea to move it again this soon. (Btw, it typically takes longer than 15 min for them to molt even if they are a juvi, so for next time give it a bit more time to get free on it's own.)

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It wasnt stuck at all. Especially if it had only been molting for a short time. Avics molt on the side of the enclosure all the time, they know what they are doing. I hope it pulls through.

In the future, id start worrying after about 12 hours of molting. Personally thats when I would take action in most cases. If its a big spider (Like T. blondi) id worry at about 20-24 hours. Leave it alone and let it harden up for a week or so.