Help me ID this centipede

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I went out looking for S. heros today near Oracle AZ and found six of these big boys. I have seen other photos of this same pede identified as S. heros but there is another phase being collected near there as well (in the low lands by town). This specimen is from between 4,000 and 6,000 feet above sea level at the transition zone just below the pine forest. One specimen was a neonate (much larger than any S. polymorpha neonate with the full number of segments as an adult). I also picked up a mystery neonate that didn't have the full number of segments with similar coloration just to throw a wrench into the identification process. No tripod to take picks of the neo's so the picks of the larger pedes are all you have to go by.

IMG_0117.JPG

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you asking about the centipede in your image? I see a polymorpha. They are only 2-3 inches full grown here in central Texas.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
If these are polymorpha then I am proud to have them in my collection. They are huge.

Crowbawt

Arachnopeon
Looks like a poly to me, stubby terminals and head proportionally small to the body, but I'm far from an expert so take it with a big grain of salt.

Edit: Poly can definitely get that big in some places, a local science museum I like to visit has a huuuge poly as part of their insect room. At least 6 inch.

Last edited:

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Can anyone provide a link to a complete list of centipedes and millipedes in AZ? I can't seem to find one.

InvertAdict

Arachnopeon
I cant either, we need a field guide to venomous/poisonous inverts of AZ.
I am working on one :)