Help me decide: T. blondi or Cyriopagopus sp. "Singapore Blue"

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Alright, so my birthday is in 3 days and I figured I'd treat myself to a new tarantula. I've narrowed it down to these two. Either one will be a 6" or so wild caught from Botar since I want an instant display animal. The T. blondi is $40 cheaper, and I have experience taking care of them, and I also have a friend with several females, so even if it turns out to be male it would still be of some use. I wouldn't have much use for a male Singapore Blue other than trading, since my other Cyriopagopus are all C. schioedtei and still very small on top of that.

I don't need any convincing with the Theraphosa, I've taken care of other people's for a while, and they always impress me and cause me to take a lot of pictures of them. So I figured it's about time I have my own. The Singapore Blue has a lot of appeal though, from what I've seen they web a lot, huge for an arboreal, blue... etc, but are they as interesting to watch? Are they out in the open a lot...etc? I'd appreciate input from someone who keeps both. Thanks.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright, so my birthday is in 3 days and I figured I'd treat myself to a new tarantula. I've narrowed it down to these two. Either one will be a 6" or so wild caught from Botar since I want an instant display animal. The T. blondi is $40 cheaper, and I have experience taking care of them, and I also have a friend with several females, so even if it turns out to be male it would still be of some use. I wouldn't have much use for a male Singapore Blue other than trading, since my other Cyriopagopus are all C. schioedtei and still very small on top of that.

I don't need any convincing with the Theraphosa, I've taken care of other people's for a while, and they always impress me and cause me to take a lot of pictures of them. So I figured it's about time I have my own. The Singapore Blue has a lot of appeal though, from what I've seen they web a lot, huge for an arboreal, blue... etc, but are they as interesting to watch? Are they out in the open a lot...etc? I'd appreciate input from someone who keeps both. Thanks.
I say get the blue just because Blondis have many molting issues...also I say get the blue because botar is sending me on monday two blue slings and the blue as adults is a very stunning color as is the blue of a livid.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I say get the blue just because Blondis have many molting issues
Only if you dont keep them correctly. Offer a water dish and soak the substrate once and a while allowing it to dry out somewhat inbetween soakings.

adults is a very stunning color as is the blue of a livid
Not really, females are more bluish purple. Nothing like livid blue.

Both are great ts, I say get two slings one of each. That solves the problem.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
personally, i just plain like the blondis. the blues are kewl, too, but i really want a blondi, myself, so i say go for it.

wow, that was a jumble sentence.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I say get a C. sp. "blue"..

1. Far more colorful and visually appealing
2. Get to a good size
3. Don't kick those horrible hairs

Yeah, T.blondi has size, but aren't very attractive, well except after a molt.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the blues will hide during the day a bit more than blondis (though i wouldnt classify either as active). Also the blue on the Cyriopagopus sp "blue" is deceiving and most pictures here are with flash. Its a very dark deep purple blue. Its nice looking but not bright blue. It might be after a molt as mine is a 6" female i got from Reptist so I havent seen it post molt yet

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen live adult C. "blues" with these very eyes! Photos are underrating to these absolutely gorgeous spiders.
Btw Kelly Swift has them too - pricier but not WC.

I would personally just get both, although if forced to choose, pick S. "blue" - they are just so lovely, although, yeah, they hide...

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The T. blondi only has size/bulk going for it, I also think their urticating hairs are extremely bad.

soulreaver_x01

Arachnopeon
i just bought a sp"blue"sling from botar a few weeks back..i hope its a female,but regardless i would go with the blue if your gonna get an adult display spider..

m.b.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ill snap a picture of mine when I get home. She is 7"+ and more purple then blue..... maybe mines special ;P

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i heard the colour dependa on location: there are those from malaysia and those from singapore - one being more blue, the other purplish.

and i say go for the cyriopagopus as well. great looking compared to t. blondi, which have mass, but lack class ;).

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
colour dependa on location: there are those from malaysia and those from singapore
I have heard this before I think...... every adult I have seen has been violet as well..... mine at home seems to be mostly purple with a slight tint go blue.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had quite a few come through and I've seen both the purple and the blue. At first I thought it might be a molt issue kind of like the C. crawshayi... once molted it starts out one color and kind of fades to the other. Although the flash does make the color more apparent, the colors are obvious even under normal lighting conditions. If you buy a WC import, you might be disappointed in the color until it molts... then you'll be quite pleased. Kind of like an old girlfriend I had years ago... they clean up quite nicely. :eek: :embarrassed:

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, I just put in the order for both with Botar. so there will be spiders and pictures on tuesday, my friend decided to buy the T. blondie since I was leaning more toward the Cyriopagopus. I have seen a large one in person before at an expo as well, so I have some idea what to expect color wise, and it definitely wasn't disappointing. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

mitchell123

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My blondi just molted yester day , and omg if you see how much it has grown. I also have more colourfull t's but my blondi is just a monster.It molted from sub-adult to adult.

My choice : Theraphosa BLondi

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thank you Botar!

Just received both this morning, there will be pictures of the T. blondi to come once it's set up, but for now, here's the Cyriopagopus, AMAZING looking specimen, big too, a good deal bigger than the P. regalis I take care of, probably closer to 7" or so legspan if I had to guess. Anyway, see for yourself.