Help me choose a first T (#2 or 3 I don't remember)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Jeez I'm spamming my own thread rn but I'm on my phone and it's a real hassle to put multiple quotes on the computer (still hadn't figured that out lol). Idc if I have a pet hole lol. All my pets except for maybe my roaches are pet holes, sand, and bark. I have definitely thought of an arboreal, just not sure if I SHOULD. Like I have said in my first post (this is to everyone btw) I keep scorpions. Scorpions are defensive as hell. I don't care if a species of T is known to be super aggressive (but it's nice to know ;)). As for the slow growth rate of the brachypelma species, I do not have heating (besides the AC but my family will just complain) so my feeder supply is very low and I don't know a way to get them started because I know they have more than enough to reproduce but my house is always at room temp. Slow growth rate = less eating = more time to regain feeder populations. Bleh my thumbs are numb now cause I rarely type on my phone lol
You keep defensive scorpions. Didn't know that, even though you expected us to. You could mention it in post #1 instead of waiting to post #32

So as far as an OBT, if you think you know highly defensive, deal with that OBT or an H lividum (C lividus) the same way you deal with your scorpions. It's a different defensive. Some scorpions could kill you with a sting, and while an OBT can't, they'll still ruin your day and several afterward. There is speed that you've not seen in any scorpion. There's an ability to run up the glass or up a pair of tongs, deliver a couple bites as it's passing by. But hey, you're ready! You got!

Your parameters changed as well. Do you want a T that eats a lot or not much because you don't have a consistent food source? I tried to help, but it seemed to upset you a bit. Good luck anyway.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From what I've seen on the net and YouTube, scorpions can't climb glass/plastic, so unless I am mistaken, your experience with scorpions will not prepare you for defensive and fast Theraphosids. ;)

Stugy

Arachnolord
You keep defensive scorpions.
All scorpions are defensive. Some are just not as much.
From what I've seen on the net and YouTube, scorpions can't climb glass/plastic, so unless I am mistaken, your experience with scorpions will not prepare you for defensive and fast Theraphosids. ;)
That's true. Good point there. I think that's why I use lids and tongs?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
All scorpions are defensive. Some are just not as much.

That's true. Good point there. I think that's why I use lids and tongs?
Lids, catch cups, tongs, forceps, bags, you name it. I don't think a new keeper can foresee the speed with which they can move. I know I sure didn't. I watched movies, researched the hell out of this forum, and gradually worked my way up to ordering two P.irminia slings. I had everything at the ready, and thought I was prepared. I was not. One of the slings (4th or 5th instar) raced out of its vial and onto my hand before I could blink. Reflexes kicked in, and I shook it of my hand, which resulted in an escapee. I found it, luckily, but was really shocked about the speed, and about my reaction as well. It didn't help that those two were obt's in a P.irminia coat, threatposing and slapping the substrate when I so much as breathed wrong, and even chased my tongs while doing maintenance. I became weary, and then, scared to open their enclosures. And I began to feel uncomfortable with the rest of my T's as well. So I sold the irminia's and stopped getting new spiders for a while.
Moral of the story? I jumped too soon, and because of that, I had an escape and I became afraid.

Now, this was with a NW sling. Imagine this situation with an OW juvi. Potent venom, too fast, and defensive as hell, most of them anyways.

Of course you can start with OW. But I would go for E.pachypus or A.ezendami or M.balfouri. These species are relatively calm for old world, but are fast and have potent venom. Most OW species are burrowers or hide a lot, so you won't see them as much, which makes them less fun for new keepers.

Or you can start with Psalmopoeus. Fast, can be defensive, but have milder venom. (Compared to OW, but still no walk in the park). Some hide, like P.irminia, cambridgei is often out and about, pulcher is somewhere in between. Arboreal though. P.cancerides is the terrestrial version.

Or, if you don't want the obvious calmer NW species, you can go with a nice big bulky NW that is always in view, who's bite will hurt like hell because of the big fangs, but have mild venom. Do awesome takedowns and is a good feeder. A.geniculata looks pretty spectacular imo, as do members of the Pamphobeteus genus. G.pulchra or iheringi is another good choice.

Your choice, of course. But I'd go with the A.geniculata or Pampho. ;)

Stugy

Arachnolord
Lids, catch cups, tongs, forceps, bags, you name it. I don't think a new keeper can foresee the speed with which they can move. I know I sure didn't. I watched movies, researched the hell out of this forum, and gradually worked my way up to ordering two P.irminia slings. I had everything at the ready, and thought I was prepared. I was not. One of the slings (4th or 5th instar) raced out of its vial and onto my hand before I could blink. Reflexes kicked in, and I shook it of my hand, which resulted in an escapee. I found it, luckily, but was really shocked about the speed, and about my reaction as well. It didn't help that those two were obt's in a P.irminia coat, threatposing and slapping the substrate when I so much as breathed wrong, and even chased my tongs while doing maintenance. I became weary, and then, scared to open their enclosures. And I began to feel uncomfortable with the rest of my T's as well. So I sold the irminia's and stopped getting new spiders for a while.
Moral of the story? I jumped too soon, and because of that, I had an escape and I became afraid.

Now, this was with a NW sling. Imagine this situation with an OW juvi. Potent venom, too fast, and defensive as hell, most of them anyways.

Of course you can start with OW. But I would go for E.pachypus or A.ezendami or M.balfouri. These species are relatively calm for old world, but are fast and have potent venom. Most OW species are burrowers or hide a lot, so you won't see them as much, which makes them less fun for new keepers.

Or you can start with Psalmopoeus. Fast, can be defensive, but have milder venom. (Compared to OW, but still no walk in the park). Some hide, like P.irminia, cambridgei is often out and about, pulcher is somewhere in between. Arboreal though. P.cancerides is the terrestrial version.

Or, if you don't want the obvious calmer NW species, you can go with a nice big bulky NW that is always in view, who's bite will hurt like hell because of the big fangs, but have mild venom. Do awesome takedowns and is a good feeder. A.geniculata looks pretty spectacular imo, as do members of the Pamphobeteus genus. G.pulchra or iheringi is another good choice.

Your choice, of course. But I'd go with the A.geniculata or Pampho. ;)
Haha nice story. That is the reason why I have only considered arboreals. Im not so interested in them anyways. I would like a more traditional tarantula (no not the wolf spider). And what do you mean by Pampho? I'm more accustomed to my scorpions so I hadn't memorized the short names for T species.
Edit: somehow my phone didn't bother loading the second half of your comment lol. I think I would love to get a NW species first. I've somewhat already decided to get either A.geniculata, B. Smithi or a GBB, which ever one happens to cross my path while I have money lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Pampho is short for Pamphobeteus, which is the name of a genus of spiders from central or south America I believe.

If you want a traditional first T, then Brachypelma smithi is your spider. It doesn't get any more traditional than that :D

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Yeah bro, keep in mind that tarantulas with their long leg reach can actually run, whereas scorpions just scoot along with their legs tucked in. Tarantulas can climb glass and dash around walls. Scorpions can't. Scorpions do not prepare you for a P t e r i n o c h i l u s m u r i n u s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Maybe we should mention that the P. muticus is one of the most extraordinarily defensive and vicious tarantulas in the world. They throw threat postures, hiss loudly and strike at the slightest disturbance. Not for beginners.
Iiiih, esaggerato. Iiihh esaggerato proprio! <-- Like Napoli (Naples) city Southern Italians loves to say when someone exaggerate something.

While (especially females) bulky and mighty P.muticus are, indeed, defensive, they are among the OW T's that once settled are ones of the best 'easy to work with'.

They turn 'berserk' only during re-house/transfer/dig and pack for an (IMO heresy!) sale. Otherwise they aren't exactly that bad to deal with.

Gentle giants, basically. Praise the Goddess!

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
The A geniculata or the Gbb will meet all your needs
the geniculata is a bit bigger then you want but hey! what's an extra inch or 2?

Stugy

Arachnolord
Yeah bro, keep in mind that tarantulas with their long leg reach can actually run, whereas scorpions just scoot along with their legs tucked in. Tarantulas can climb glass and dash around walls. Scorpions can't. Scorpions do not prepare you for a P t e r i n o c h i l u s m u r i n u s
S o u n d s l i k e a f u n l e a r n i n g e x p e r i e n c e .
The A geniculata or the Gbb will meet all your needs
the geniculata is a bit bigger then you want but hey! what's an extra inch or 2?
Yep. Either A.geniculata, GBB, or B.smithi for me. Those are currently my top 3 so far. Sorry @Chris LXXIX but I am definitely putting off the Goddess as my second (or just save up even more and buy one in the same package xD).

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
S o u n d s l i k e a f u n l e a r n i n g e x p e r i e n c e .

Yep. Either A.geniculata, GBB, or B.smithi for me. Those are currently my top 3 so far. Sorry @Chris LXXIX but I am definitely putting off the Goddess as my second (or just save up even more and buy one in the same package xD).
Good choice, they aren't going anywhere, P.muticus are a pretty common species, and definitely a must have for any collection. Besides, this first T of yours is unlikely to be the last ;) best bet is to start with something calmer and get accustomed to tarantula behavior/tendencies.

P.muticus sometimes stand their ground and strike repeatedly, so yeah they can be hard to deal with during a rehouse. Once they are settled in their enclosures they are super easy, not a T that would bolt out of its cage like an arboreal, they will retreat into their burrows.

Enjoy man!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Good choice, they aren't going anywhere, P.muticus are a pretty common species, and definitely a must have for any collection. Besides, this first T of yours is unlikely to be the last ;) best bet is to start with something calmer and get accustomed to tarantula behavior/tendencies.

P.muticus sometimes stand their ground and strike repeatedly, so yeah they can be hard to deal with during a rehouse. Once they are settled in their enclosures they are super easy, not a T that would bolt out of its cage like an arboreal, they will retreat into their burrows.

Enjoy man!
If you don't care about a bad attitude, potent venom, or a pet hole, the P muticus is great. They aren't the OBT, running up the tongs, biting you along the way to freedom. They are a stand your ground, come in here and you'll regret it type of attitude. Literally the easiest old world I keep. They're thick and the color is nice. Set the enclosure up so you can see in the burrow and enjoy. They get large, but it will be at least a decade before you see a sling mature. A new friend of mine got a P muticus as his first T and couldn't be happier.

Stugy

Arachnolord
If you don't care about a bad attitude, potent venom, or a pet hole, the P muticus is great. They aren't the OBT, running up the tongs, biting you along the way to freedom. They are a stand your ground, come in here and you'll regret it type of attitude. Literally the easiest old world I keep. They're thick and the color is nice. Set the enclosure up so you can see in the burrow and enjoy. They get large, but it will be at least a decade before you see a sling mature. A new friend of mine got a P muticus as his first T and couldn't be happier.
Well... all of my pets besides my Widows are practically pet holes anyways lol. Potent venom is saved for my Sicarius, and bad attitude (like really bad attitude) is one that I have yet to find :p. I think I'm gonna do a raffle thing by myself and whatever wins, will be what I am going for. The raffle will include (stating what will i put in it just in case you don't agree with one of the species...) GBB, B.smithi, A.geniculata, P. muticus, and N.chromatus because why not? I'm just gonna write the names down on individual cards and have my sister mix them and I'll choose one xD

Stugy

Arachnolord
LOL I got P.muticus first try and got scared and did the raffle again, got P.muticus again, third time I got B.smithi xD This must be a sign. At least I'll be able to use that 5gal aquarium now besides for drying coco fiber.

cold blood

Staff member

BobBarley

Arachnoprince

cold blood

Staff member
Lol, my cancerides is literally just skittish (not defensive at all), and not even that skittish, my 2 Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" are more skittish.

Goes to show how individuals can vary.
Man I have a bunch of them...yeah theyre skittish, but they are also all defensive given the right circumstances...Theyre the only NWs I have kept that repeatedly slap the ground.

They are great slings to raise...as they start out blue and always have a spectacular appetite...and theyre cheap...you can get slings for like $10.