Help identifying very tiny, light brown spider(?) in FL

concerned recipient

Arachnopeon
Hi all, what an interesting group this must be. I'll admit I can be squeamish so I hope you don't think I'm simply trying to be lazy or disrespectful of your passion by asking in thread form as opposed to looking at pictures on the internet myself. But I suppose if it's that important and I'm that convinced of the reason for my posting, I'll inevitably do so.

A.) The first question is a simple matter of identification. Which I'll explain shortly why it cannot be so easily done but by memory.

I observed a very tiny insect looking creature recently. It was light brown and just yeah tiny lol. Due to circumstances I was unable to count if it had 6 legs or 8, but I have reason to believe it did have more than 6. It was hardly half the width of the average pinky nail. At first it reminded me of the (non-engorged) ticks we used to get down here in the southern US. So it easily may have just been one and not a spider lol. But it moved faster than a tick but still not quick, per se.

My main concern is whether or not any known poisonous spiders (whether mature or newborn) match this description.

--

As far as the backstory as to why I'm so concerned, I received a letter in the mail today. We live in a rural swampy kinda forest-y area, so these critters are no rare sight. I was fortunate enough to spot this critter through the transparent plastic portion of a letter I received. I'm somewhat of a politician we'll say and this letter was from an entity or an envoy of an entity where.. we are each concerned with each other's success, we'll say. Not always in the way you might think. Which leads to my second question. I know spiders lay eggs, and they are.. sticky?

B.) The second question is could a spider or other small insect's eggs be applied to stick inside a letter and have possible odds to survive when it reaches a recipient?

--

I can appreciate a joke or a good non-lethal scare and/or "message" as well as the next guy. But I'm not the only one who lives here. I need to know if further action needs to be taken.

C.) Essentially are there any lethal, venomous spiders in Florida that can be so tiny at birth that match this description, particularly the Brown Recluse? (Again it was tiny, hardly bigger than a non-engorged tick but definitely resembled more of a spider.

Will post a few photos soon. My hope is though since the envelope was not open but not perfectly sealed either (one or more very small somewhat roundish openings from the side but along the perforations/seal so not clearly "ate through" on any solid face) perhaps one just snuck in and I'm letting paranoia get the best of me. Again, it's a woodsy area.

Thanks,

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
A small light brown critter with 6 or 8 legs in your area could be one of several thousand species. Few of these creatures are likely to be able to survive the mail sorting process, which is done via machines.

A point of order: Loxosceles reclusa (brown recluse) are not lethal, and I don't believe they are native to your region. You do have widow spiders in Florida, the males and juveniles of which can be quite small and brown, but these are also not lethal. Both of these spiders can deliver an extremely unpleasant experience, but their danger is *massively* overblown.

I suggest that next time you find a creature in your mail, you put it in a plastic baggie, and either take nice clear close-up photos of it, or if you cannot, send it to a local entomologist.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I've refrained from writing several comments regarding dangerous spiders. My secretary of the moment, a salticid enjoying a bumpy ride on the back of my hand, seems to be rather casual about the topic. I'm going to discuss the matter with him/her in private.

concerned recipient

Arachnopeon
So, hoping not to offend anyone here, I know you guys.. well, I'm sure you understand. People who don't like or "understand" spiders are just kinda freaked out by them.

I mean, even if they can't all kill a full grown human, people have pets, kids come by sometimes. It's a huge fear.

At least a python or a bear or something you can see and know if you're in danger. Imagine a tiny and we're told possibly venomous or deadly creature is just in your house, can move faster than you do, and you don't know where it is. I'm sorry but to the average person that's just scary lol.

Anyhow, here's a link to a picture if you don't mind seeing a squished friend. I had some young ones in the house and instinct took over. Again, I'm sure you understand. Would appreciate any possible identifications. Believe me.. there's plenty lol. For the record I've always been a fan of catch and release. Did that once or twice before with spiders I've encountered in here prior. Potentially at my own peril lol. Based on the fact where it was found (in an envelope) and who it was sent from in my story, one could assume it was "sent" to me. So. Sorry lol

The link is
i.imgur.com/
504aVzU.jpg

Edit: And on top of that it may not have even been a spider, so..

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Very small spiders often can't break skin, so I wouldn't worry about that. Your description could be tons of different things, I would recommend posting a picture to SpiderID.com, since they give quick and accurate ID's in my experience. Hope that helps!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
So, hoping not to offend anyone here, I know you guys.. well, I'm sure you understand. People who don't like or "understand" spiders are just kinda freaked out by them.

I mean, even if they can't all kill a full grown human, people have pets, kids come by sometimes. It's a huge fear.

At least a python or a bear or something you can see and know if you're in danger. Imagine a tiny and we're told possibly venomous or deadly creature is just in your house, can move faster than you do, and you don't know where it is. I'm sorry but to the average person that's just scary lol.
Not offended. We get a LOT of people with arachnophobia. Are constantly trying to help people get a grip. Fear of spiders is a real problem, but spiders aren't. They aren't even in the top 50 of human injuries or deaths.

The base of the fear finds it's roots in our psyche of fear of the unknown. This fear is learned. A baby will happily handle a spider without fear. The fear goes looking for something tangible to manifest itself on-in. Spiders, due to appearance and the way they walk and occasionally startle someone by an unexpected appearance make spiders the perfect fall guy for the fear to manifest itself.

In the US the top three deadliest animals are humans, bees and wasps, and horses. And for your trivia, again in the US, you have 5 times the chance of getting struck by lightning than of having a medically significant bite from an arachnid.

World wide animals that cause human deaths each year
1Mosquito1,000,000
2Human475,000
3Snake50,000
4Dog25,000
5Tsetse Fly10,000
6Assassin Bug10,000
7Freshwater Snail10,000
8Ascaris Roundworm2,500
9Tapeworm2,000
10Crocodile1,000
11Hippopotamus500
12Elephant100
13Lion100
14Wolf10
15Shark10

Last edited:

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@The Snark sums it up perfectly.

I think part of the reason why people get amplified Arachnophobia is that you only ever hear about the “worst case scenarios” (or made up stories that don’t even involve spider bites). For instance, you may read an article about how someone died from a black widow envenomation and assume that these spiders are very lethal. Don’t get me wrong, they have potent venom, but what you never hear about is the other 99% of bite victims who just feel kind of sick for a while and keep on living. We have widows all over the place in my garage and yet I very rarely encounter them unless I purposely go looking for them. Basically what I’m saying is that in the US you have a very, very low chance of being bitten by a medically significant spider, and even less likely to have serious complications from it.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Not offended. We get a LOT of people with arachnophobia. Are constantly trying to help people get a grip. Fear of spiders is a real problem, but spiders aren't. They aren't even in the top 50 of human injuries or deaths.

The base of the fear finds it's roots in our psyche of fear of the unknown. This fear is learned. A baby will happily handle a spider without fear. The fear goes looking for something tangible to manifest itself on-in. Spiders, due to appearance and the way they walk and occasionally startle someone by an unexpected appearance make spiders the perfect fall guy for the fear to manifest itself.

In the US the top three deadliest animals are humans, bees and wasps, and horses. And for your trivia, again in the US, you have 5 times the chance of getting struck by lightning than of having a medically significant bite from an arachnid.

World wide animals that cause human deaths each year
1Mosquito1,000,000
2Human475,000
3Snake50,000
4Dog25,000
5Tsetse Fly10,000
6Assassin Bug10,000
7Freshwater Snail10,000
8Ascaris Roundworm2,500
9Tapeworm2,000
10Crocodile1,000
11Hippopotamus500
12Elephant100
13Lion100
14Wolf10
15Shark10
What the snail doing?

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I've visited Malawi, and hippo deaths are more common than you would think. I'm guessing it's because of their range, and I imagine all deaths aren't recorded.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I've visited Malawi, and hippo deaths are more common than you would think. I'm guessing it's because of their range, and I imagine all deaths aren't recorded.
I knew that hippos were extremely dangerous because of their aggressiveness and power. However I think we're getting a bit too far off topic.