Help ID millipede

Abel

Arachnosquire
Please help me id this. I caught and am currently keeping this millipede I found. I usually find scarlets but found this the other day. I live in Singapore, which is SE Asia if it helps. Thks

Attachments

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
How long is it and if possible, could you get a photo of the millipede's face? That would help us determine which order it belongs to. A Spirobolid's labrum is bisected by a suture (see this photo).

Abel

Arachnosquire
its rlly hard to get a pic of its face but the last time I saw it it looks the same as my t coralinus(srry if I misspelled). the body shape is the same. its feet are also white btw

Abel

Arachnosquire
How long is it and if possible, could you get a photo of the millipede's face? That would help us determine which order it belongs to. A Spirobolid's labrum is bisected by a suture (see this photo).
currently its around 5 cm long

Abel

Arachnosquire
also I looked at the photos abt the spirobolida. it does look like it. in fact, it looks exactly like the pede in the pic only that the legs are white

Abel

Arachnosquire
Btw anyone knows wut t corallinus eggs look like? cause my hollow piece of wood has lots of small round black thingies. could it be eggs? or just poo?

Abel

Arachnosquire
I just checked the pedes face and it does have the slit on its face

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
also I looked at the photos abt the spirobolida. it does look like it. in fact, it looks exactly like the pede in the pic only that the legs are white
I just checked the pedes face and it does have the slit on its face
Unfortunately, I cannot find any information on Spirobolida millipedes in your area beyond Trigoniulus corallinus, which has spread around the world. But as you know, its legs are red.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! :( Maybe there is a great website that I haven't found and never would if it's not in English. I do wish there was a worldwide BugGuide.net and in multiple languages! :D

It is frustratingly difficult to find any information on millipedes that are not either so widespread as to be regarded as "pests" or deemed large enough to be kept as pets. I can't say whether or not yours is full grown. While Spirobolida millipedes often change in appearance as they mature, I don't know of any that remain very pale until adulthood like many Polydesmida millipedes do.

Btw anyone knows wut t corallinus eggs look like? cause my hollow piece of wood has lots of small round black thingies. could it be eggs? or just poo?
Most likely, it's just frass, but some Spirobolida millipedes do encapsulate their eggs and I do not know whether or not T. corallinus is one of them. Many millipedes do like to adhere their eggs to a piece of wood or the like, so I would not throw it out but wait and see.

Sorry I could not find more definitive answers for you! :sorry:

Abel

Arachnosquire
No worries. Thks for trying:) Yeah I wont throw the wood out. Ill just wait, maybe if they are eggs they will hatch. In fact ive seen my pedes mating so there is a high chance they are eggs, but ill wait anyways:). As for the unidentified pede, ill just keep it with my scarlets as I found them in the same area and it has been doing fine so far. If it grows into something ill share it:)cheers!

Abel

Arachnosquire
also, only spirobolida millipedes have that slit on their face? srry rrly inexperienced about pede keeping.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
No worries. Thks for trying:) Yeah I wont throw the wood out. Ill just wait, maybe if they are eggs they will hatch. In fact ive seen my pedes mating so there is a high chance they are eggs, but ill wait anyways:). As for the unidentified pede, ill just keep it with my scarlets as I found them in the same area and it has been doing fine so far. If it grows into something ill share it:)cheers!
I'm glad to hear they're all doing well! :) I've since read that Trigoniulus corallinus encapsulate their eggs -- all Spirobolida do -- so they may look similar to frass but usually a bit larger and lighter in color. I'd keep the wood for a while in any case just to be sure and the millipedes probably enjoy it. ;)

also, only spirobolida millipedes have that slit on their face? srry rrly inexperienced about pede keeping.
No need to apologize! I'm still very much learning myself and am happy if I can help! :D

Looking at the lower part of the millipede's face, other millipede orders also have two lobes but only Spirobolida has a suture between them. Compare this Spirobolida with Spirostreptida.