Help! I need to convince my parents!

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everybody!

I'm new to scorps in general, and I've been thinking about getting a pandinus imperator, or at most a babycurus jacksoni. Problem is, my parents are concerned about a scoprion being in our house, and also problems transporting it when I go to college. Do you guys have any good arguments I can use to convince my parents? :?

Your imput would be greatly appreciated! {D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
well...i don't own any, yet...but everything i've read about the P. imperators says that they rarely ever sting, aren't aggressive (always a rare exception to any rule...but by and large they're docile), occasionally pinch but only in self defense, not too fast so catching them should they escape shouldn't be all that hard. Bottom line...they're prob the most docile scorpion species out there and those are the reasons that they're recommended as a first scorpion for almost anyone. Kinda like the Grammastola rosea (tarantula)...same nature, rarely ever bites and very docile...but you will read about some people's G. rosea's that are aggressive, but they're by far and large the exception to the rule.

Also...the sting of the Emperor isn't any worse than a bee sting unless you're allergic to it, but getting stung by one from what i hear is a feat in itself lol.

hopefully someone more knowledgable than me about this will chime in :)

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you're on the money with everything you said, Edesign. Not only that, but is isn't a pet anyone in your house has to deal with except for you! Liken it to a fish, it's not like it'll be begging for scraps at the dinner table :) It sits in it's tank and you watch it!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can also keep an Emp in a kritter keeper which has a good lid and can be put in an out of the way place. No one would even notice it unless pointed out.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
as for your parents, good luck convincing them. If they are as bad as mine, no chance in hell will you have one in the house (hence why I wish you luck). I've been having to wait since last december to aquire more, wish i could have had em over the summer, but alas, mom hates all things creepy, crawly, and lacking in fur.

basically the thing about scorps, that i try to explain to ppl, is that they are like fish...well, more like crabs i guess...but like I tell ppl, "You can't pet fish either" they are just for looking at , and they look cool, and are interesting to watch. Most common pets in the trade are not really dangerous at all (aside from allergies I suppose) And escapes are, as I can tell, very rare and probably due to the keepers neglect or some small mistake.

so far, all my arguments havent worked, Mom just wants to stay ignorrant it seems. oh well, her loss.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
best advice is to tell them that you wont ever touch it, it is just for viewing pleasure and so forth, no one will go into the tank and mess with it

go with an Asian Forest(Heterometrus Spinifer) or an Emp, a B Jacksoni is medically significant, 3/5 rating and may post some neurological symptons when stung, so you dont really wanna mess with something that can really hurt you, especially you being a girl, an emp is just a bee sting, no biggy unless you are allergic, as someone else said

to convince them, just go along the lines of it being like a fish, or crab or pet dirt and that you have NO interest in touching or holding it

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Way back when I got my first Emperor, I told my mom two things. "It can't climb glass"..."You can cut me out of the will if it ever escapes". And she has chronic arachnophobia. :)

SpectralDhampir

Arachnopeon
I got my first scorps just over a week ago. 5 Emps. My mom has always been pretty open about such things, but when she saw me and dotdman setting up their cage, her response was "Not in this house." After dotdman proceeded to show her how harmless they are, and my girlfriend had one wandering around her hand, my mom relented (as if she wouldn't have anyway). My mom now calls them my "babies" in the cute voice and asks me about feeding them. :D

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tell them you are gonna do it and if they dont like it, kick you out of the house ;P

hehe just joking

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, you had the same problem as me when I was starting out with this hobby 5 months ago. Like what brians said you have to hide it. I've been hiding mine in my room until now and NOBODY has found out. I keep mine in a small book case where light reaches it during the day. I will also be moving to an apartment soon for college and I am thinking of new ways of hiding them. I will be purchasing some gladware trays for my scorps, even though pets are not allowed in the building. :D ;P :}I forgot to mention, you will never be able to convince your parents.

Satanicat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I must have a rare mother then, as I just went to the store, bought it, and in a week she found out I had a scorpion. All she did was ask why I would buy such a thing, but she's not scared of it either, I find it a little weird, but it's all good!

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hoosier, I'm in the same position as you. Moving into an on campus apartment and pets aren't allowed. I'm just going to walk in with my Emperor and P Trans.. and wait a month or two to move in the A Australis I plan on buying soon :)

I figure I'll just not be obnoxious about my ownership, as my campus doesn't inspect for that sort of thing.

(Emp and Trans each have a ten gallon tank.. Australis will have a medium/large kritter keeper)

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my mother wouldnt let me get a cat of a ferret, so i got 6 centipedes, 5 tarantulas and 25 scorpions plus babies {D

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I think we can pull it off fergrim as long as the tanks are small. I'll be living in an off campus apartment so it may be easier for me to hide them. Good luck with your scorps!

Last edited:

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
why not start her with something a bit more friendly - to get her used to the idea of bugs in the house?
maybe a millipede?

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thedreadedone said:
why not start her with something a bit more friendly - to get her used to the idea of bugs in the house?
maybe a millipede?
I'm not so sure about that thedreadedone. My mom isn't exactly fond of creepy crawlies, and and every time she sees a long, multilegged creature, she *Gasp!* squi- well, it isn't going to be "bothering her". It's like a knife through my heart when she does that!

I've been trying to warm her up to the idea of a scorpion in the house. I tell her all the cool things, like how they feed, glow under a blacklight, and just plain look cool. I think she might come around...

My dad, on the other hand, said no way no how, but if I can get mom, I can make her convince dad. ;)

I can't wait until I can get one! :rolleyes:

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wolvie56X said:
my mother wouldnt let me get a cat of a ferret, so i got 6 centipedes, 5 tarantulas and 25 scorpions plus babies {D
Wolvie, that's great that your mom is so open and understanding of your desire to have...well, very unusual pets! {D

Odorachnid13

Arachnopeon
okay, since everyone else has given good advice on how to convince the parents, i will address the other question, of your concerns about transporting to college. A quart-size plastic deli container with a tight lid, holes around the outside of the rim for ventilation, and a big piece of dampened paper towel will get it there just fine. Especially if you are dealing with an emperor or Heterometrus. As far as the convincing of the parents, well, good luck, but I know it can be done, I recently moved back with my parents temporarily, and neglected to mention that I brought them with me, but they were not surprised when I finally did tell them. My dad was a little upset, and refused to look at them, but now he is totally fascinated, and comes up to me and tells me all the cool things he's seen them do. Just a note to give you some hope. :)

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you so much for all the advice, guys. {D
I hope my parents will relent soon...I'm sure they'll come around with a little more work. ;)

And thank you for all the transport tips too. That'll come in handy! {D