HELP! Dying King Baboon?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still personally don't believe it's the best (or even second, third, etc. best) choice to feed wild-caught, regardless.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Another viewpoint is offered in Scorpions:plus Other Popular Invertabrates written by Jerry G. Walls, From the EXPERTS at ADVANCED VIVARIUM SYSTEMS gives us this,

"even if offering cultured bugs, you may supplement the diet with wild-caught spiders and insects such as grasshoppers and dragonflies (but never from areas that have been sprayed with pestisides or from roadsides, where pollution is greater)...."

I offer this not as the correct answer. I offer this as proof that it is not unreasonable to think that this practice is o.k.

btw, this was in second edition, copyright 06 by Advanced Vivarium Systems, printed 07
Check the publication date on that book. It was probably written at a time when captive-bred prey was not so readily available, and before the use of pesticides had become so prevalent that they are found almost everywhere in nature. :(

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Copyright '06, Reviewed by skinheaddave 06

It wasn't copyrighted until '06! After going to publisher site, I realize that Jerry G. Walls is an expert at writing nature and animal books, not scorpion keeping. Go figure. But then see below. I disagree with book. It really is a friend who didn't. But my friend was called a moron and an idiot by multiple people for doing something in the books he has access too. My friend doesn't have a computer and has a life outside of arachnids and can't afford to spend all of his time researching the authors and backgrounds, publishers, nor get an entymology degree in his "free" time. I'm only using this example to show people that 1. my friend is not an idiot or moron. 2. there are differing points of view 3. you shouldn't call people names because you don't agree with them, they ask "stupid" question, or whatever. I have only fed my T's and Scorp's feeders from one of 2 local stores. Mostly just from one. But I'm just saying, We have both only been back into T's ect. for 6 month's and on here for not very long, and I'm already get name calling? I am a confident, stable and happy adult (31) years old. But if a 16 or 18 year old comes on here after following the book they got and gets called a moron and idiot, that will not be helpful for 1. the tarantula 2. our own lives and interactions for those who call names 3. Our Hobby and/or future income from someone interested and pushed away 4. What about the kid trying their best? Who may need a little information, or least not need the ego pounding right now? We are seeing rashes of shootings and suicides and the last thing most people need right now, is to be told how dumb they are. (or their friends). Post below is from arachnoboards.

07-23-2006, 01:15 AM #1
skinheaddave
SkorpionSkin

Arachnoadministrator

Scorpions: Plus Other Popular Invertebrates - Jerry G. Walls
Positive

I must say that I'm very impressed with this book -- at least the scorpon section, as I have not yet read the rest. It doesn't go as in-depth as I would like in many subjects, but it avoids two errors all too common with the pet-oriented scorpion books out there these days:

- It doesn't have obvious, glaring errors. Sure, there are a couple points where there are small errors or the phrasing is slightly misleading, but overall nothing jumped out at me that was going to cost a keeper or a bug its life. All the pictures seem to be appropriately captioned, however, and common names seem to line up well with scientific names. You really get the impression that the author and/or editor know the subject matter well and not just tangentially.

- It doesn't avoid the scientific literature. It provides a chart of the current family structure and even mentiones the controversy. It provides details of the biology of the scorpion that are usually reserved for more scientific texts, albeit in a straight-forward and accessable manner. The author clearly keeps up to date with his scientific publications and seems to be in personal contact with several of the key people. On the other hand, he does seem to miss a couple well-known facts and some of his terminology is downright wonky.

So overall a good book. I would have liked to see more details and illustrations in some of the more practical chapters (housing etc.) and I would have liked to see more species covered. The book also gets dangerously close to being preachy and discounts many ways of doing things. Still, I would recommend this book along with Rubio's book to anyone looking for a basic hobbyist text.

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by skinheaddave : 08-03-2006 at 05:09 PM.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Agreed. But there are some here on the boards who are more interested in putting others down than helping them or giving advice. They are best ignored. Or, if the post is truly objectionable, reported to a mod. (The mods don't have NEAR enough time to read every post, this is a busy place!)

All I can say about books is to take them with a grain of salt and use your own best judgement. Obviously, if you live in a highly populated area, as you do, wild caught feeders are a definite no-no. This might not be true for someone living in a largely unpopulated area. The only T publication I trust implicitly is TTKG. On any other subject, I read the book, then read another, then do research on the internet before I feel truly confident that I have the right information!

Personally, I would not make judgement on your friend until I met him and knew what kind of person he is.

Ryan, I think you're a great friend to work so hard to help him learn the right way to care for his pets!

inbntly

Arachnopeon
Sounds more like naivete than ignorance. Maybe buy him a copy of TTKG, if he reads the facts from a reliable source, perhaps he might believe them.
Was going to say the same thing. :razz: Well hopefully no more T's have to pay with their lives. Also like someone else said, feeder's are cheap Tarantulas are not. All I can say is to do your best and try to educate him as much as possible through what you know. If he ever gets his hand on some of the higher end T's and that happens I'm sure he'll come around REALLY quick.

Also didn't you say he didn't have a computer? Tell him get with the times and come pay us a visit :) we'll be nice to him, I promise!

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I live a mile outside of a small city and I really don't recommend wc feeders. Around here where there aren't people there are cornfields or bean fields or what have you. Farmers spray for insects it is very likely the insects in your backyard are carrying the same toxins. The only way I would recommend wc feeders is if you live in an area with a population of 1, you.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This sounds much like the behavior exhibited by a bug that has been in contact with pesticides, which affect the central nervous system. If that is the case, there is nothing that can be done for the poor T. They have the same effect of Ts, it just takes a bit longer for them to die due to their large size.
That is correct....I have worked with pesticides for years.....not cuurently though. Pesticides have a residual and are usualy activayed by water/humidity.

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theres probably nothing you can do. Seems like he caught the wrong bug. Tell him not to feed it wild caught bugs, like that post up yonder said, better safe then sorry, and Feeders are cheap, tarantulas are not.
Keep the humidity nice, cage clean, and feed him if you can. Good luck with him!