Hello!

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello!

I'm new on here so the first bit of this post is an 'hello' post!

The second part, I have a few questions if you all don't mind me asking?

I've been fascinated with Scorpions since i was 16/17, I thought they were amazing creatures and really wanted one to feed and watch it hunt/prey.

Well I'm 21 next month and I still want one, thought it was a childish phase I was going through but it really wasn't!

What's best for a first time scorpion owner? The emperor? I only want one, there's a shop local to me who sell scorpions but they are out of emperors and apparently I need a license to keep the others which they stock (I live in the UK) so should I wait for the emps to come back into stock?

Also, the shop told me that they do a scorpion starter kit for £48 including the scorpion, decent price for the tank and heat mat etc? I think £48 works out around $100 or about 70 euro's?

Any advice is welcome, I suppose I better get used to handling crickets! Spiders, scorpions etc don't bother me but crickets bloody do!

Cheers

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greetings and Welcome;

I would go with the Pandinus imperator, emperor. But that is me I like the bigger less venomous types. If you go with an emperor for your first scorpion expect a 'Pet Hole', a happy emp is usually down in it hide most of the time for they like to burrow.

Also scorpions are addictive, I inherited my first one nearly 2 years ago and now I own 8 Pandinus imperators (emperors) (plus 17 young) 5 Heterometrus' (asian forest) 1 pandinus cavimanus (red claw)

I would suggest away from the UTH and recommend an IR lamp.

The set up cost: IME US$
10 gallon tank; 10
1 glass canopy; 15
1 brick of expandable coco fiber; 3
1 store bought hide; 3
1 water dish; 5
1 50w IR bulb; 8
1 lamp; 15
1 emperor; 10 - 20
70 - 80 US

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ello mate ..

It's not that emperors are bad scorpions or uninteresting but the truth is just like Thaedion say's .. a happy emp is not something you are going to see very often.
They are nowhere on the list of "Display Scorpions".
Most people choose an emp because thats the one the local shop has when the scorp bug hits them.
Being in the UK you are restricted by the DWA act so that means you can't have any Buthids.
However theres still some good interesting scorpions outside of that family.

My suggestions would be along the lines of Hadrurus arizonensis or spadix which are good looking scorpions, have a good size (america's biggest) and are easy to care for if you get them as adults.
Alternatively Scorpio maurus palmatus or fuscus are also good beginner scorpions if gotten as adults.
Easy to care for and usually out on display if positioned in a warm shade position. They also have real "character" and can be a joy to watch, especially feeding time for a hungry female.

Then theres Vaejovis spp of which spinigeris is often available here on the boards.
They are nowhere as big as emps, in fact they are the smallest of the ones i've mentioned but it's not for nothing that they are a popular sell. Theyr're punchy, quick, dead interesting and they've got character. If positioned in a warm shaded place they can also be seen out and about during the daytime.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hullo!

I think Thaedion's opinion is pretty much unanimous - most will tell you the emperor is the best beginner scorpion. Big, hardy, usually docile, and pretty much harmless by comparison. About pet holes: I have an emperor that has has the facilities to burrow and hide but never does. Depends on the individual, I think.

You can wait for the local shop to get more emps in; or there are plenty of online shops in the UK that'll send them your way. If any sell at least one species of scorpion, that one will almost definitely be Pandinus imperator. Dealers with emperors that I'd recommend include The Spider Shop (although they're closed right now...), Virginia Cheeseman, and The Tarantula Shop. There's also Tarantulabarn but they're the exception to the rule and have P. africanus rather than P. imperator...

What exactly is included in the scorpion starter kit? Scorpion... heat mat... tank... what else? And is it a glass tank or plastic tank?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hullo!

I think Thaedion's opinion is pretty much unanimous - most will tell you the emperor is the best beginner scorpion. Big, hardy, usually docile, and pretty much harmless by comparison. About pet holes: I have an emperor that has has the facilities to burrow and hide but never does. Depends on the individual, I think.

You can wait for the local shop to get more emps in; or there are plenty of online shops in the UK that'll send them your way. If any sell at least one species of scorpion, that one will almost definitely be Pandinus imperator. Dealers with emperors that I'd recommend include The Spider Shop (although they're closed right now...), Virginia Cheeseman, and The Tarantula Shop. There's also Tarantulabarn but they're the exception to the rule and have P. africanus rather than P. imperator...

What exactly is included in the scorpion starter kit? Scorpion... heat mat... tank... what else? And is it a glass tank or plastic tank?
P africanus is not a valid species name for a scorpion. it is however valid for lung flukes(Paragonimus africanus), hallucinogenic mushrooms(Panaeolus africanus), warthogs(Phacochoerus africanus), and nematodes(Philometroides africanus). just to name a few.

Last edited:

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies.

I was doing yet more reading last night, and I'm being steered away from emperor scorpions left, right and centre.

I'm not very good with these scientific names, is there anywhere I can use as a reference to get their common names?

Rigelus, I was talking to Appleton Exotics in Wigan, who told me that all the scorpions require a DWA license bar the emperor. Hence why I chose the emperor!

Vermis, they told me it included the scorpion, tank (they didn't say if it was plastic/glass), Heat pad, lamp, soil/pete, thermometer etc

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to a new addiction.

Pandinus sp. make great starter scorpions, or as mentioned other species like Hadrurus sp. (Desert Hairy Scorpions) or Heterometrus sp. (Asian Forest Scorpions.) Just do a quick search in this forum and you will get plenty of info on these scorpions.

(I noticed that there are some Iomachus politus for sale on one of those sites posted by Vermis. If you want a challenge, they are nice little scorpions, very inoffensive, but not as hardy and their care requires more attention than P. imperator.)

As for the housing, the best thing to do would be to compare and improvise.
Look at what is offered in the kit, then see if you could find or do it cheaper.
(For example, instead of paying for an expensive ceramic hide, breaking a cheap terra cotta flower pot will give you several)

Other than that, there isn't much to worry about. There is a lot of info out there, and if you can't find some just ask.

P africanus is not a valid species name for a scorpion. it is however valid for lung flukes(Paragonimus africanus), hallucinogenic mushrooms(Panaeolus africanus), warthogs(Phacochoerus africanus), and nematodes(Philometroides africanus). just to name a few.
Pandinus africanus is an old synonym for P. imperator.
P. imperator is probably exported as P. africanus in some cases to get around CITES, as P. africanus is not on the CITES lists, while P. imperator is.

So the scenario probably was that the exporter wrote P. africanus so he wouldn't need CITES permits, the Customs officials checked it against a list of CITES species and let it through(I wouldn't expect a Customs officer to be up to date on scorpion taxonomy...), and it was imported by the shop in question as P. africanus.

Cheers
Dave Mc

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rigelus, I was talking to Appleton Exotics in Wigan, who told me that all the scorpions require a DWA license bar the emperor. Hence why I chose the emperor!
Well, now you learnt that Appelton Exotics don't know what they are talking about..Simple..;)

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pandinus africanus is an old synonym for P. imperator.
P. imperator is probably exported as P. africanus in some cases to get around CITES, as P. africanus is not on the CITES lists, while P. imperator is.

So the scenario probably was that the exporter wrote P. africanus so he wouldn't need CITES permits, the Customs officials checked it against a list of CITES species and let it through(I wouldn't expect a Customs officer to be up to date on scorpion taxonomy...), and it was imported by the shop in question as P. africanus.

Cheers
Dave Mc
I'm not arguing that it wasn't at one time used as a synonym for P imp(although Thorell described the species 40 plus years after P imperator was described ). I'm just stating that it is non valid in taxonomy now.
I do agree that it has probably come back into use to circumvent the exportation caps on P imp by shady individuals who didn't want to pay for the CITES permits. Sadly that means said people are intentionally doing illegal activity to make a quick buck.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now I know... And knowing is half the battle! {D

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So... Then... Yeah. Tarantulabarn probably has imperators. :)

Jaffster: that kit doesn't seem too bad, IMHO. It probably doesn't need two heat sources though. My personal preference would be the heat mat along the side, if it's one of those little 7x11" 7 watt ones. Probably without any insulation so too much heat isn't directed inward. And Crono speaks the truth about comparing and improvising, among other things.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Another good option is Hadogenes paucidens. They have very low toxicity and are quite docile. They are fairly large and tend to be out more than the emps. They also don't need the high humidity that emps require so they are easier to maintain and mites shouldn't be a problem.
Although emperors are often cited as the best beginner scorp I find that mine are the highest maintenance of my several species and also the most boring since I never see them.
Hadogenes should be available more readily available (cheaper) on your side of the pond that Hadrurus.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another good option is Hadogenes paucidens. They have very low toxicity and are quite docile. They are fairly large and tend to be out more than the emps. They also don't need the high humidity that emps require so they are easier to maintain and mites shouldn't be a problem.
Although emperors are often cited as the best beginner scorp I find that mine are the highest maintenance of my several species and also the most boring since I never see them.
Hadogenes should be available more readily available (cheaper) on your side of the pond that Hadrurus.
Really i see my emps very rarely but a lot more than I see me H.paucidens.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok thanks for the help guys.

I spoke to someone at the virginia cheeseman shop.

Mentioned it to my mum (I'm 20 and live at home) and she went mental at the idea of an 'insect' being the house. I tried to correct her that it was infact an arachnid and wouldn't escape out of the tank as they don't climb but she's still gone apeshit over the ideas.

Guess I'll be on the streets when I come home with one ;)

Really appreciate the help, I'll fire up some pictures of my newbie set up and the scorpion once it's set.

Cheers

Arocknid

Arachnopeon
I am in the UK (Hampshire) and can give you two free Heterometrus Spinifer if you live anywhere near Reading, they are fairly large and extremely active scorpions with tonnes of character.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am in the UK (Hampshire) and can give you two free Heterometrus Spinifer if you live anywhere near Reading, they are fairly large and extremely active scorpions with tonnes of character.
I live in the north west, near Manchester :(

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not arguing that it wasn't at one time used as a synonym for P imp(although Thorell described the species 40 plus years after P imperator was described ). I'm just stating that it is non valid in taxonomy now.
I do agree that it has probably come back into use to circumvent the exportation caps on P imp by shady individuals who didn't want to pay for the CITES permits. Sadly that means said people are intentionally doing illegal activity to make a quick buck.
Its alright man, I just wanted to put it out there for everyone who didn't know. Hopefully someone learned something.

Ok thanks for the help guys.

I spoke to someone at the virginia cheeseman shop.

Mentioned it to my mum (I'm 20 and live at home) and she went mental at the idea of an 'insect' being the house. I tried to correct her that it was infact an arachnid and wouldn't escape out of the tank as they don't climb but she's still gone apeshit over the ideas.

Guess I'll be on the streets when I come home with one ;)

Really appreciate the help, I'll fire up some pictures of my newbie set up and the scorpion once it's set.

Cheers
Good luck with that. I have noticed once people see them up close, they don't think they are so bad. When I gave up my appartment for the summer last year for a good job near my parents house, the collection came with me.
They freaked out at first, then I caught my mother changing the waterdish a few times;)

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to keep hassling you guys with newbie questions which you've probably heard 100000 times before! But:

Trying to comprimise, we have an old metal shed in the back garden, next to our house. Running a power cable into this would be easy as I work for a cabling company ;)

Would this be ok? Bear in mind I live in the UK and the rain etc would bounce off the roof. But it's very waterproof and has a sliding door which shuts and there's no draft. Would the noises etc outside cause stress to a scorpion or would it be ok?

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Trying to comprimise, we have an old metal shed in the back garden, next to our house. Running a power cable into this would be easy as I work for a cabling company

Would this be ok? Bear in mind I live in the UK and the rain etc would bounce off the roof. But it's very waterproof and has a sliding door which shuts and there's no draft. Would the noises etc outside cause stress to a scorpion or would it be ok?
Is it insulated, if not it'll be as cold as a mortuary in the winter and cost you (or your parents) a arm and a leg to keep it warm. A heat mat or two is not going to help that much if the ambient temperature is ball numbingly cold.

As for the sound of rain on the roof i should'nt think that would be a problem. It's more vibrations that are the issue.