Hello Arachno-hobbyist! (Survey for college a project of mine)

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Currently I am enrolled in an English course that is having us do Ethnography papers, I.E. finding out about cultures, and since I know a bit about the Arachnoculture, I thought of no better place than here to start. I would like to give a survey of sorts (Much different than the personal interviews I am doing [hopefully] with some of the members here [already PMed]) for statistical data and opinions. Half of the questions will be "Yes/No" and I would please ask for them to remain that kind of answer (I am graphing this data out too - something new as well to me :3) and then the other half will be general answer questions (you can write as long or short as you want, its open ended for those).

So, feel like helping me with this class?

You might be asking "Well, what's the point?" The point of the paper is to expose more people to what Arachnoculture really is, and to disprove their misconceptions of the culture itself (not the spiders - the culture, these questions will mostly be community related). I do hope you help me :)

So let us begin! - Remember, all questions are optional

Sorting Question: What sort of member of the culture are you? This isn't about how many spiders you have, but how involved in the Arachnoculture you are.

a. Not really in the culture
b. New to the culture
c. Been in the culture a while
d. Invested in the culture
e. A guru of the culture
f. A power member of this culture

This first question will help me sort through the tables on the excel spreadsheet, and is the only one that is multiple choice.

Section 1: Boolean Answers (Yes/No)

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture?

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well?

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life?

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)?

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture?

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)?

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings)

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community?

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture?

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture?

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)?

---end Section 1---

Section 2: Open Ended Answers (Say what you want to say)

1. Why did you join arachnoculture?

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now?

3. How has being a member of this culture changed your life?

4. What are some of the positive experiences you have had?

5. What are some of the negative experiences you have had?

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture.

7. What sorts of divisions do you feel hurt the culture from within?

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? Does this conflict with others' views?

9. What kinds of subcultures do you see, and what do you think about them?

10. How would you, in your own words, define the term I have used a lot now, being "Arachnoculture" as it were? And why?

11. Do you have any stories, memories, or things you wish to say about the community itself that you have experienced?

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play?

---end Section 2---

Bonus: Which species would you be and why?

Thank you
For answering all of these questions, or just some, or even just a few. I will be compiling answers throughout the weekend (I know, it is Halloween Weekend - but we were only given this weekend for research... not the best timing if you ask me) and I want to sincerely thank everyone for their contributions in advance.

During the revision period after next Wednesday I will likely recompile data to make a more completed result. If I do well enough, there is a chance I may be published, if not - well you helped me do actual research, tools which in the future will help me a great deal.

Have a happy Halloween!

Tip: I have found that copying the questions and then pasting them, answering under them, has worked very well in the past for other students and surveys, so please feel free to copy and paste the questions.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What sort of member of the culture are you? This isn't about how many spiders you have, but how involved in the Arachnoculture you are.

b. New to the culture But i already own 7 with more to come.

This first question will help me sort through the tables on the excel spreadsheet, and is the only one that is multiple choice.

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture?Yes

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well?Yes

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life?Yes

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)??Yes

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture?No

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)?Yes

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings)Yes

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community?Yes

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture?Yes

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture?Yes

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)?No

---end Section 1---

1. Why did you join arachnoculture?My dad had a tarantula and i wanted a small cheap and easy to care for and bizzare pet.

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now?I thought it was crazier and i had no idea how interesting they were.

3. How has being a member of this culture changed your life? I have learned that tarantulas arnt scary beast out to get you but animals that can be nice or very aggresive depending entirerly on the tarantula and the species.

4. What are some of the positive experiences you have had? I have learnd tons of information about bioligy and arachnid life.

5. What are some of the negative experiences you have had? alot of "Are you crazy, what if it bit you and i heard that..." Not to mention the itchy hands I get all the time.

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture. We are all cazy.

7. What sorts of divisions do you feel hurt the culture from within? People who refuse one type of spiders. Like people who are only arboreal or terrestrial or ignore the obligate burrowers like chlorine gas.

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? Does this conflict with others' views? Of coars they can think. Take a less bizare animal like cats. They can deffinetly think. I know a duck who comes up to me and will beg for food nipping at my (god i hope my p ornatas dont do that). My point is that just because we cant inturpret them doesnt mean that they dont think or that they are mindless drones always looking for food. I have proof they think. My goliath used to be stressed when I first got him and he would onstantly pase the outside of the container. I had a fake plant next to the wall that he would cram himself to go inbetween that and the wall. 2 weeks later and he would go aroud it instead. They do think and learn it just takes them a while. Also they certainly feel emotions. Whenever they feel stressed they will try to get out or pase the enclosure all night long.

9. What kinds of subcultures do you see, and what do you think about them? Not sure what you mean like true spiders tarantulas and scorpions etc.

10. How would you, in your own words, define the term I have used a lot now, being "Arachnoculture" as it were? And why? The group of people who loves arachnids because it because Arachno meaning arachnids and culture meaning a group.

11. Do you have any stories, memories, or things you wish to say about the community itself that you have experienced? Yes In my experience these animals are great. I have learnd so much about animals and I absolutly love evreything that has so far happened. Even the near escape of my goliath.

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play? So far i havent put much back into the comunity though i am going to be breeding some panama red rump soon and p ornata and what ever else i can breed and I am trying to answer more forum questions.

---end Section 2---

Bonus: Which species would you be and why? I would be a cobalt blue because i am small but i can still kick ass.
sorry I didnt answer all the questions great but i didnt understand them all.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a thought - not trying to interfere with your project - but arachnoculture generally refers to the culturing (raising) of arachnids, not the people who do it. I'm not sure that hobbyists are a defined culture, at least not in the sense that an ethnographer would mean. Have you run the concept past your teacher yet?

Edit :

Maybe to add a little clarity to my above comments - ethnography is the study of ethnic groups or ethnic cultures. I suspect this is the direction your teacher has in mind. And tarantula keepers are not an ethnic group or culture.

By comparison, we have words in our language such as floriculture, horticulture, agriculture, herpetoculture and arachnoculture that refer not to the people involved, but to the items being raised or cultured.

Your project might be fun to pursue on its own, but I'm betting that it won't quite be what your English teacher has in mind. If you do pursue it though, please post the results here. I think many people would enjoy seeing them.

Last edited:

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
c. Been in the culture awhile

section 1:

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. yes
5. yes
6. YES
7. yes
8. yes
9. yes
10. YES
11. no

section 2:

1. I joined because I was at one point very arachnophobic. When I was younger my older brother got one. After awhile of watching it and learning some things from my brother, I realized there was really nothing to be afraid of. At first I didn't think there were too many people into it, so I kept to myself and later found out there are ALOT of people out there that keep tarantulas as well. I joined Arachnoboards to learn more and maybe develop some friendships along the way.

2. Thought it was scary!

3. I have learned a great deal about tarantulas and how to keep them. It's also helped me through a difficult part of my life and gave me something else to think about then what has happened in my past, and for that I'm truely grateful. It has also helped me develop friendships with people who share a unique interest.

4. I don't freak out when I see a spider, and when someone else does I can easily come to the rescue! :D

5. Well, the only one I can think of would be it conflicting with my personal life. I don't go out and party and hangout as much as I used to, but I might also consider that just a part of growing up. Some friends think I'm kinda wierd, but they are all arachnophobes so it's to be expected.

6. That we are wierd/freak. Honestly, I don't understand why everyone thinks that. It's much the same as owning any other pet in my opinion. Just not as "accepted" as owning a dog, cat, snake, or whatever else you can think of. Most people these days accept you based on what you like, and not who you are. People who own tarantulas are just like everyone else. Nobody would ever even guess I owned tarantulas if I never told them, but as soon as that comes out, you're the wierd one!

7. There are some people who have been in the community for a VERY long time and have a vast amount of knowledge. I think that since they've been in it so long, whenever someone says or does something they wouldn't they attack them or tell them it's not right just because they haven't done it themselves. Like they are always right, and it's very annoying/frustrating to deal with.

8. I don't feel they can feel emotions, but can feel basic things like pain. Some people do believe they can feel emotions like us, but nobody will ever know. It does however, conflict at times with other peoples beliefs.

9. People who are in the hobby for joy. Some are in it for the money. I don't have a problem with either. I feel at some point everyone joined the culture for the same reason, to understand and enjoy arachnids for what they are. A few people I think tend to lose sight of why they joined in the first place and are more in it for profit than for the sheer enjoyment.

10. It is all the people who have let arachnids be a part of their lives in one way or another, whether it be owning, or studying them.

11. When I was 15, I decided to buy my older brother his favorite tarantula as a Christmas present. It was a little 1" B. Smithi (Mexican Redknee) I got from a local petstore for $45.00 with an enclosure. I wrapped it up the night before and told him I had a gift for him. Just watching him open it up and seeing his eyes get as big as quarters made me feel so good! I honestly, don't think I've gotten a better reaction out of a gift than that little spider! It was AWSOME!!! Still have it today, and he still says it's the best gift he's ever gotten from someone.

12. I am a person who enjoys learning about tarantula's and collecting them. I've had a good amount of experience with them and love to help answer questions from newer keepers and people who have missconceptions about spiders and try to help them become less afraid.

Bonus: I would be a Psalmopeous Irminia (Suntiger) because I'm for the most part nice. Just don't make me mad or you'll regret it! Hehehe :D

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you 2oCHEVYo0, and Jacobchinarian for your responses!

Just a thought - not trying to interfere with your project - but arachnoculture generally refers to the culturing (raising) of arachnids, not the people who do it. I'm not sure that hobbyists are a defined culture, at least not in the sense that an ethnographer would mean. Have you run the concept past your teacher yet?

Edit :

Maybe to add a little clarity to my above comments - ethnography is the study of ethnic groups or ethnic cultures. I suspect this is the direction your teacher has in mind. And tarantula keepers are not an ethnic group or culture.

By comparison, we have words in our language such as floriculture, horticulture, agriculture, herpetoculture and arachnoculture that refer not to the people involved, but to the items being raised or cultured.

Your project might be fun to pursue on its own, but I'm betting that it won't quite be what your English teacher has in mind. If you do pursue it though, please post the results here. I think many people would enjoy seeing them.
Ethnography as defined by the project at hand is the study of cultures, and in so is the study of microcultures. Included cultures being done by the class are bathroom culture, motherhood, Service Industry and more. I know exactly what I am doing with this, as I am examining this particular culture and its intricacies.

The example paper was a culture on bug eating, in fact.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ethnography as defined by the project at hand is the study of cultures, and in so is the study of microcultures. Included cultures being done by the class are bathroom culture, motherhood, Service Industry and more. I know exactly what I am doing with this, as I am examining this particular culture and its intricacies.

The example paper was a culture on bug eating, in fact.
Very interesting definition of culture. Good luck with your project.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I'll give this a whirl...

So, feel like helping me with this class? Sure....er, yes!

Sorting Question: What sort of member of the culture are you? This isn't about how many spiders you have, but how involved in the Arachnoculture you are.

b. New to the culture
e. A guru of the culture

Well...I've been in the hobby for a long time, have invested a LOT of money and have a large knowledge base. Still, I wouldn't say I hinge my life on it. It's simply a fun hobby. My answer is without doubt, C.

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture? Yes.

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well? Yes.

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life? No.

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)? Yes.

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture? No.

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)? Yes.

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? Yes.

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community? Yes.

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture? Yes.

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture? Yes.

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)? No. Makes no difference, really.

---end Section 1---

1. Why did you join arachnoculture? I've always found spiders to be of great interest. When possible, even when younger, I would trap spiders in the house and re-release them into the outdoors. I've always enjoyed studying spiders, so it's hard to pin-point "joining" the culture. It really depends on what aspect you look at. As far as owning them as pets...that wasn't untill I ran across an individual that told me about keeping a few dozen tarantulas. Tarantulas are easy pets, so the idea intrigued me. Before you know it, I had an impressive collection as well!

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now? Again, it really depends on what aspect. The scientific knowledgebase has always interested me, and I found people who studied them to be cool and interesting. As far as the pet side of things, I was literally unaware for a long time. When I found out about keeping Ts and scorps, I found it a good idea.

3. How has being a member of this culture changed your life? I've probably spent more money on acquiring exotic tarantulas than any normal person would care to admit. Let's suffice it to say, I could have made a significant downpayment on a nice car at this point.

4. What are some of the positive experiences you have had? You meet the nicest people in the invert hobby. It's pretty easy to make friends with people when you share a common interest. Since keeping inverts as pets is still a minority, those bonds are made a little tighter. Everybody has a dog, but if you keep a tarantula or a scorpion, we actually have something in common.

Other positive experiences come just from simple ownership of the animals themselves. To study their behaviour, etc. in your own home is a joy. Tarantulas are so varied across the spectrum, seeing the individuality in each one is rewarding in and of itself. It goes without saying that you witness this in keeping scorpions and true spiders as well.

5. What are some of the negative experiences you have had? Negatives...I once had three Avicularia sp. die on me in one week. That would probably be my worst experience.

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture. The main misconceptions I've faced is that I must enjoy "weird" things. I know many people in the pet-keeping hobby often get labeled with such things as "strange" or "creepy". But, I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't want to ask questions or find out more if they are not already in the hobby. As far as people I know, I have never been looked down upon, or viewed in any different light that I was prior to their knowledge of my interests. Keeping tarantulas has never prevented me getting a date. Even if the girl knew I kept Ts prior to asking her out.

7. What sorts of divisions do you feel hurt the culture from within? Divisions within the culture? Like anything, those that try to exploit the hobby and portray it as something sinister do damage in convincing others that this hobby is okay. For instance, people that buy an arachnid (take your pick) just to show it off and scare people do more harm than good. This is likely where other people get misconceptions from.

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? Does this conflict with others' views? Obviously, spiders and other arachnids are able to think. Present them with an obstacle and they are able to problem-solve. That is irrefutable. As far as emotions go, we can only say that they have three. The ones we can study from are scared, upset, or content. Any complex emotions are impossible to derive. They don't express them. Some keepers may feel that their arachnids "love" them, or are "attached/bonded" to them. But, that simply ins't the case. Arachnids more or less tolerate us at best.

9. What kinds of subcultures do you see, and what do you think about them? Those that study and/or keep true spiders, scorpions, and/or tarantulas. I like them all and have participated in all. Both in a scietific study standpoint and in a hobbyist/keeping standpoint. All are great! There are also "subcultures" in the tarantula keeping hobby itself. Some people prefer New World species, others Old-World. Poecilotheria is a genus that many people like to "specialize" in, and could earn a place of holding its own "subculture" as well.

10. How would you, in your own words, define the term I have used a lot now, being "Arachnoculture" as it were? And why? They way I feel you define it, would be anyone with an interest in arachnids. From mere curiousity of small study, to large scale study. From keeping just one arachnid, to keeping a basement full. Anyone that has an interest in arachnids can adequately take their place in our hobby.

11. Do you have any stories, memories, or things you wish to say about the community itself that you have experienced? The community is very diverse. Keeping arachnids as pets, or having the interest to study them, brings people together. Though we are all different, and have different backgrounds, we can all relate to a common interest. So, even if we all disagree politically, or whatever, we can all relate to this interest and be friends.

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play? At the moment, I'm more of a hobby advocate. If people show an interest in getting into the hobby, I help them with their "gameplan". Depending on the questions individuals may have, I can go so far as to just go over basic maintainence, to actually helping them choose a good arachnid for their interests. All in all, my position in the pet hobby isn't astounding, but I do what I can to help people who are starting out.

---end Section 2---

Bonus: Which species would you be and why? I would be a Phidippus audax, or Bold Jumping Spider. This species is considered by most in the scientific realm to be of the most intelligent of arachnids. They have a very curious nature and have astounding athletic potential. As far as arachnids go, they lead rather interesting lives.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture? Yes

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well? Yes

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life? Yes

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)? Absolutely yes.

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture? No

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)? Yes

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings) Yes

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community? No

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture? Yes

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture? Yes

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)? No

---end Section 1---

I've always enjoyed less cuddly pets. Spiders are fascinating and can be a good way to get in touch with nature in your' home. It's also helpful because as you learn to understand them, you become less afraid of that deadly looking daddy longlegs in the corner of a room! Soon after joining the hobby, people often learn daddy longlegs aren't even spiders.

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now?

I had never really given it any consideration until I ran into a Rosie at an LPS store years ago. Never thought of a spider as a pet, then I just got one.

I'm a lot busier taking care of my animals! I also realize how frustrating it is to get a B dubia colony going. ;) I also have met great people online in this hobby who share an interest. I also learned not to handle my Ts (I used to on a regular basis until I learned its a bad practice) and enjoy having knowledge of arachnids in general. It's helped me call out people when they tell me about the 2 foot long, 40mph, 25 foot jumping, super deadly camel's blood drinking "camel spider."

I love watching my Ts do their thing, especially eating. I tong feed most of my Ts when I can, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of that. It's awesome to have them go through molts as well, gaining size as you take care of them.

Less than ideal dealings online. And I hope never to add "I've been bit" to the answer for this questions. Also, T blondi hairs are brutal.

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture.

That spiders aren't a normal pet to have. I think of them like fish...display pieces. I don't think it should be as taboo as it is to own Ts.

Those fans of Ts that purchase their spider and poke/prod/etc them (for youtube or not) for a reaction. Those people have an interest, but it differs from more mainstream "don't be a jerk to your' spider," type owners.

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? Does this conflict with others' views?

I don't. They are more reactionary. And that's fine because it works for them.

As mentioned above, people enjoy spiders for different reasons. One person may get a H lividum and give it a proper setup, and just enjoy that they have it, even though they don't see it. Yet another may buy one and make sure they can see it at all times by not giving enough spider. That would then be justified with "It's just a bug," mentality.

10. How would you, in your own words, define the term I have used a lot now, being "Arachnoculture" as it were? And why?

The culture of people that make an effort to remain educated about Tarantulas and their captive care.

11. Do you have any stories, memories, or things you wish to say about the community itself that you have experienced?

Generally speaking, this community is full of a great amount of wonderful people that really try to spread their love for the hobby.

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play?

While I've owned 40 Ts or so in my lifetime, I'm down to about 25 or so now. I have not bred (yet...got a gravid A geniculata at home) spiders and I consider myself fairly knowledgable but still not that experienced. I have a lot to learn, but I'm better off than a new person to the hobby. I hope to eventually breed some more rare species, but I really am not into making money from this, but to say that I did it and spread some Ts out.

---end Section 2---

I'd be an LP...because I would never hide. And I'm fairly big.

Thank you
For answering all of these questions, or just some, or even just a few. I will be compiling answers throughout the weekend (I know, it is Halloween Weekend - but we were only given this weekend for research... not the best timing if you ask me) and I want to sincerely thank everyone for their contributions in advance.

During the revision period after next Wednesday I will likely recompile data to make a more completed result. If I do well enough, there is a chance I may be published, if not - well you helped me do actual research, tools which in the future will help me a great deal.

Have a happy Halloween!

Tip: I have found that copying the questions and then pasting them, answering under them, has worked very well in the past for other students and surveys, so please feel free to copy and paste the questions. [/QUOTE]

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

b. New to the culture
c. Been in the culture a while <- I guess this, it's been almost 2 years.
e. A guru of the culture

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture? Yes. Big fan, I love it.

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well? Yes, I'm heavily engaged in it.

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life? Definitely, people look at me differently now.

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)? Yes, I feel like I appreciate nature and wild animals more. I refrain from automatically smashing any small house spiders.

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture? Yes, people have lost respect for me and most see me as a freak for liking them and not killing small spiders on sight.

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)? Yes, people are usually represented as mentally insane humans that break taboos(I mean, how could anyone possibly think baby tarantulas are cute?[sarcasm]).

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings) Yes. To me, the idea of tarantulas being able to be trained is intriguing, but I have no personal opinions on it.

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community? Maybe. I think, I'm not sure on this question. Maybe the idea that feeding a huge, live mouse to a T means that the owner enjoys watching animals die? :confused:

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture? Yes, there are those that enjoy keeping widows and orb weavers, when some still are uneasy around true spiders, but enjoy tarantulas.

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture? I think yes, because a lot is misunderstood about it, and the more you learn, the more comfortable you are with the idea of the culture.

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)? My username may be used.

---end Section 1---

1. Why did you join arachnoculture? I've always had a fascination with tarantulas and various animals, and this hobby is simple to keep up and it is fun to observe the nature of these creatures.

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now? I knew that tarantulas could be kept as pets, and for some reason never believed the idea that they were "deadly," I believe this is because I never saw any of Hollywood's "killer tarantula" movies.

3. How has being a member of this culture changed your life? It is harder to make friends, because people judge me based on my interest in arachnids. I also find that I'm being judged more often by my own parents.

4. What are some of the positive experiences you have had? I've learned much more about arachnids than I've ever learned before, I'm no longer uneasy around any type of spider, I'm also now interested in macro photography in order to capture the behaviors of arachnids.

5. What are some of the negative experiences you have had? Spending too much money on the tarantulas themselves, having adrenaline rushes when dealing with the not-so-cooperative eight-legged individuals, people in high school treating me differently.

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture. We're not freaks just because we like what others hate. :embarrassed:

7. What sorts of divisions do you feel hurt the culture from within? I'm not sure how to answer this, so no comment.

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? Does this conflict with others' views? I don't believe so, because they are primitive animals. There are others that do believe they can.

9. What kinds of subcultures do you see, and what do you think about them? I believe all the subcultures are interesting and unique in their own way.

10. How would you, in your own words, define the term I have used a lot now, being "Arachnoculture" as it were? And why? I see it as a particular group of people that all enjoy observing and learning about arachnids.

11. Do you have any stories, memories, or things you wish to say about the community itself that you have experienced? I believe most of the people here are extremely knowledgeable and are very professional with their hobby.

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play? I see myself as still learning everything that is already known about these animals, and I make sure that I'm making a good impression on those that know nothing about the hobby and wish to learn.

---end Section 2---

Bonus: Which species would you be and why? I'd rather stay a human so I can properly enjoy all species of tarantulas. :razz:

Last edited:

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

b. New to the culture
e. A guru of the culture

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture? yes

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well? yes

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life? no

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)? yes

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture? no

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)? yes

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings) yes

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community? no

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture? yes

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture? yes

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)? no

---end Section 1---

1. Why did you join arachnoculture? to learn

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now? never thought about it before

3. How has being a member of this culture changed your life? spend more time poking around at holes in the ground

4. What are some of the positive experiences you have had? learning & sharing what I've learned

5. What are some of the negative experiences you have had? none

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture. That we're odd, put mildly. I could study squid or sea cucumbers with the same enthusiasm but these creatures aren't considered creepy, and, as spiders are, I/we are christened with the "creepy" factor.

7. What sorts of divisions do you feel hurt the culture from within? no response to this

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? no
Does this conflict with others' views? I don't know

9. What kinds of subcultures do you see, and what do you think about them? If there are truly subcultures, so what?

10. How would you, in your own words, define the term I have used a lot now, being "Arachnoculture" as it were? And why? I don't understand your question.

11. Do you have any stories, memories, or things you wish to say about the community itself that you have experienced? It's extraordinary to rub elbows with so many gifted, sharing people.

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play? I'm one of the troops, not a general, but will speak up if and when I have something to say regarding my own experiences. I like cheering others on and dispensing hugs when things aren't going well.

---end Section 2---

Bonus: Which species would you be and why? Avicularia avicularia because I have pink toes and tend to have a quiet, unassuming nature.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you DrJ, Scorpionking20, Caramell and Suzjohnson! So far that is six! You're all awesome! :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

b. New to the culture
e. A guru of the culture

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture?
Yes

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well?
Yes

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life?
Yes

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)?
Yes

No

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)?
Yes

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings)
Yes

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community?

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture?
No

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture?
Yes

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)?
No

---end Section 1---

My girlfriend got me into it. She had a G. rosea before and its enclosure fell and it got killed. Well she wanted another for Christmas so I got her one. I was scared to death of that thing, but I soon got attached and now have 11 of my own in almost a year.

Didn't really have any opinions. I was just like "Oh giant spiders, that's cool."

I actively try to inform the public about the hobby and correct their misconceptions. I also roam my yard looking for burrows, and digging giant holes around my yard looking for trapdoor spiders.

Giving two speeches in my college class that went great and the other students enjoyed.

None that I know of.

I think the most common misconception is that we are all weirdos and have no friends, and that's hy we have Ts. That no one would have a pet spider except people who are outcasts.

Not really sure. I don't think there is much damage being done from within

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? Does this conflict with others' views? I know they can think, but feel emotions, no. Everyones ideas are different on this one.

Don't really see any.

The collection of arachnid enthusiasts.

Just that this is one great community.

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play? I try to play a big role and do the best I can to help this community. I inform the public and pet stores with my knowledge and I am currently working on a wwwbsote that will be a reference for everyone in this community. I also try my best to help members that need advice on here.

---end Section 2---

B. albopilosum. Big, hairy, quite an eater, and will only fight if you make me mad enough, but will "flick my hairs" and voice my opinion if irritated.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

b. New to the culture

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture? Of course or I wouldn't be in it.

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well? Pretty well. Still learning like everyone else.

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life? Changed what's on my shelves.

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)? Responsibility to animal care. They make me happy.

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture? Nope.

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)? Yes. I think some find us weird but what is fun about conforming?

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings) Lots and LOTS of debates. Vertebrate feeding/hybrids/pain in spiders, etc.

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community? Haven't seen many.

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture? Yes, some keep herps, too (amphibians and reptiles)

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture? Yes.

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)? As long as it's just the username.

---end Section 1---

1. Why did you join arachnoculture? I've always had interests in invertebrates. Both insects and arachnids.

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now? OMG, I'm not alone! X-D

3. How has being a member of this culture changed your life? I'm BUYING bugs as much as I'm catching them.

4. What are some of the positive experiences you have had? Getting my face on YouTube when I had once been very shy.

5. What are some of the negative experiences you have had? Anytime one of my animals is ill or dies.

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture. We don't have a "death wish" just because we like venomous animals (majority are harmless). Not all of us eat bugs. LOL!

7. What sorts of divisions do you feel hurt the culture from within? Hybrid breeders. They cause confusion in IDing spp. or breeders who sell males to newbs knowingly.

8. Do you feel that spiders are able to think/feel emotions? Does this conflict with others' views? I'm really not sure. I think they can feel pain but I'm not sure if they're more complex than that.

9. What kinds of subcultures do you see, and what do you think about them? Mostly the reptile hobby.

10. How would you, in your own words, define the term I have used a lot now, being "Arachnoculture" as it were? Someone in the arachnoculture is a person who keepers maybe even breeds arachnids.

11. Do you have any stories, memories, or things you wish to say about the community itself that you have experienced? There are some with high egos, but if you take your time here, you'll find some very nice folk, too.

12. Finally, how would you define yourself in the community, what role do you play? I just do what I like doing. I do wish to breed and sell/trade tarantulas.

---end Section 2---

Bonus: Which species would you be and why? B.emilia because they have a remarkable lifespan.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not quite sure if this will be helpful, because though I've owned T's for several years now I have never hard the term Arachono CULTURE. ??? I'm just someone who thinks spiders are neat and have them for pets.

Currently I am enrolled in an English course that is having us do Ethnography papers, I.E. finding out about cultures, and since I know a bit about the Arachnoculture, I thought of no better place than here to start. I would like to give a survey of sorts (Much different than the personal interviews I am doing [hopefully] with some of the members here [already PMed]) for statistical data and opinions. Half of the questions will be "Yes/No" and I would please ask for them to remain that kind of answer (I am graphing this data out too - something new as well to me :3) and then the other half will be general answer questions (you can write as long or short as you want, its open ended for those).

So, feel like helping me with this class?

You might be asking "Well, what's the point?" The point of the paper is to expose more people to what Arachnoculture really is, and to disprove their misconceptions of the culture itself (not the spiders - the culture, these questions will mostly be community related). I do hope you help me :)

So let us begin! - Remember, all questions are optional

a. Not really in the culture <--- Not sure of the definition. I bought my first T Feb 2006.

b. New to the culture
e. A guru of the culture

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture? Don't know - I like t's... but there are so many different' people who do I can't relate to everyone.

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well? - NO lol.

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life? - if the culture is just owning T's then yes.

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)? Yes. (as I think most people think only goth and wiccens would own T's... not a 5'2 clean cut girl next door christian goody two shoes type).

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings) Yes

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community? Sometimes

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture? Depending on the definintion yes - ... that is if culture just measn you own them then yes.

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture? Only if they like spiders.

11. Do you wish to remain anonymous in the paper (by anonymous I mean I do not list your username or any info - if you choose not to remain anonymous I will just list your user name should I need to)? yes

---end Section 1---

I always liked spiders, but was afraid I couldn't deal with a full grown T. When an exotic pet store (I have snakes too) had a bunch of rose hair babies for sell I decided to get one as it was easier for me to deal with house spider size spiders.

2. What did you think about it before you joined, before you knew what you know now? No difference as I don't nesiarly understand what you mean by culture.

3. How has being a member of this culture changed your life? - I talk more about T's to people.

4. What are some of the positive experiences you have had? Having fun talking to differnt type's of people about T's... the surprize on peoples faces when they find out I have T's.

6. List some misconceptions you feel may exist about you and other members of this culture. Mentioned above. Had one lady tell me she expected someone who owned spiders and snakes to ride motercycles and have tats.

the difference between treating the animals as pets vs just a "hobby".

yes but on a very basic instintual level.
and yes it does conflict with others who seem to see them as biological comptuers.

everyone is different.

lol I wanted *you* to define that.

here? well I remember when there were people who would post entertaining stories about their T's... I remember stories about breeding attempts (not clinical breed reports) taht were really funny - I remember a lady who used to do cartoons... I feel that many of the people I remember on here are gone or do not post much anymore. Just seems to be a different atmosphere then it was in 2006.

observer. I like to read the posts.

hopefully I didn't put anyone off by my answers.

---end Section 2---

Thank you

Have a happy Halloween!

Tip: I have found that copying the questions and then pasting them, answering under them, has worked very well in the past for other students and surveys, so please feel free to copy and paste the questions.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how involved in the Arachnoculture you are.

b. New to the culture
e. A guru of the culture

YES/NO answers:

1. Do you like the arachnoculture? yes

2. Do you feel like you know your own culture well? No

3. Has being a member of this culture changed your life? yes

4. Have you been positively affected by being in the culture(positive experiences)? yes

5. Have you been negatively affected by being in the culture? no

6. Do you feel that there are misconceptions about the culture (about the people not the spiders)? yes

7. Do you feel as though there is division in the culture about certain aspects of the hobby? (Example: Do Tarantulas have feelings) yes

8. Do you feel that there are prejudices in the community? No

9. Do you feel that there are sub-cultures within the Arachnoculture? yes

10. Would you recommend to others to join your culture? yes

---end Section 1---

I've always had a fascination with spiders, and when I found out you could own tarantulas easily i began to petition my girlfriend to allow me to get one. (which turned in to 13 in a very short period of time)

I thought that it would be a little more stingy, that the grizzled ancients (fran, robc, and others) would be less welcoming and less interested in helping a new hobbiest. I also thought it would be much harder to procure and care for tarantulas than it is. Additionally I errantly assumed that all tarantulas were like OBTs and could not be taken lightly.

It has given me a broader understanding of a topic I had a keen interest but no knowledge in, it is also a niche which I enjoy independent of the commentary of my cohorts as they do not know enough to be critical or supportive.

When you ask intelligent questions you get intelligent answers and helpful suggestions, earning the respect of others who are more informed as well as finding common interests.

I; unfortunately, offended one user and that has created a small issue which has since been resolved (I believe), no grudge on my part and all is well.

That we're some sort of crazy recluse, kind of like the old lady with the cats. But the old geezer with the spiders. Also that my pets are some sort of lethal threat to everyone's health.

hybridization; this is a huge divide, also emotions/pain; whether the tarantula can perceive them or not.

Considering they can lop off a leg if they so desire, and some have been known to self mutilate, add in the fact they are very very basic creatures I am inclined to say no they do not experience emotions in any context.

big spider group, breeder group, casual hobbiest, super experienced, super traditional, pro-hybrid, Troll.

A collection of individuals who have an avid interest in a common topic; in this case arachnids and other invertebrates

not at this time

I'm new, but I'm trying to contribute to the best of my ability while deferring to the grizzled ancients for the things I do not know, and to learn more from them.

---end Section 2---

G. pulchra, because they're black....like a shadow....a shadow in the night...

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you thank you thank you. I will continue collecting results throughout the week for the revision I plan to do this weekend!