Hello and little info on me and Ts

SpyderByte

Arachnopeon
HELLO EVERYONE!!

My daughter, she is 5, and I were surfing the net for a new pet lizard. I was teaching her how to click on thumbnails to enlarge the picture. We were looking specifically for crested geckos and ended up at Redwine's site. (btw we love his site and frequent there just to look at the pics. Never gets old.) So we decided to look at his tarantulas. Well she wanted one (and the lizard too, hehehe).

I spent the next two months studying Ts. Surfed many sites, this site and Petbugs being the main ones. Read both the Schultz and Marshall books. Found a nearby dealer in Vancouver, Washington. And now we are HOOKED.

In our collection:

0.1 A. geniculata 4 inches
1 A. versicolor 1.75 inches
1 B. smithi 2.5 inches
1 C. cyaneopubescens 1.75 inches
1 G. pulchra 1 inch
0.1 P. fortis 3.5 inches
1 P. cancerides 1.25 inches

Actually 5 of them are much larger after successful molts. We plan on getting more. Maybe some more of the same kinds we already have or others but I need to research some more.

1 Grass spider we caught.
2 House spiders they live in their little corners and we've been feeding them for the last 6 or more months.

1.0 Gargoyle Gecko Plan on getting some more herps, she wants snakes but I want Leopard Geckos.

0.1 Border Collie She and my daughter make two of the best cricket wranglers I've ever seen. Man, I hate when they get loose.

Glad to be part of the group.

Arnie

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome aboard! You have a nice array of spiders. I haven't ever heard of a Gargoyle Gecko. I will have to look it up on google after I get off of here.

Bd

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

welcome aboard, i have to say too for just starting you have real nice selection of t's, thats great that your daughter likes em too, i myself like the crested geckos but could never bring myself to pay some of the prices i've seen for em, hope you enjoy the site and forums--Jeff

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome aboard! I've noticed you're from Wa, too.. Well I'm from Seattle....:)

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello spiderbyte,
Those spiders are a good start. Good luck with them.

Big Dragonfly,
Gargolye gecko is the common name for Rhacodactylus auriculatus. They are very nice looking geckos. They are in the same genus as the New Caledonian giant gecko (Rhacodactylus leachianus ) and the crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus).

Mike

SpyderByte

Arachnopeon
Big Dragonfly,

Lasiodora is correct with names of the geckos. About 15 years ago I kept lepoard geckos with great success. My daughter was asking for a sanke or a lizard, so i started researching geckos again. Didnt want to get lepoards because they eat crickets. And I remebered what it was like dealing with all those crickets -- bleh. The great thing about majority of the New Caledonian geckos is they eat fruit. So baby food with periodic sprinkle of vitamins is all they need. No heat source, if kept at room temps, and no special lighting needed. These geckos are hardy and can be hand tamed. Oh yeah they also like insects, its nice to supplement their diet with them but not necessary.

The funny thing is we got the Ts before we got the gecko. Now we are elbow deep in crickets, hehehehe. I'm finding that the Ts will eat thawed crickets. I gut load the crickets for a few days then freeze them. I do feed live crickets everyother feeding to keep things lively, hehehehe.

I'm back into crickets so I'm back to looking at leopard geckos and more Ts. Gotta to say Ts are great pets. Only thing is we don't handle ours. I have had a couple of them run on me, A. versi is very quick and the first night I had him/her run up my arm onto my head. I got the G. pulchra in case we ever decide to handle one. But we are doing like most of the readings say to do, treat them like fish.

Theraposa,

Yeah, I've noticed a few of us are from the NW. Do you have any breeders/dealers worth looking into up in Seattle. If you do please send me the info. I goto Vancouver, WA about once a month so I use Cold Blooded Creations. They are great. But I'm always in the market to see more and learn more from other people. I'm only 30-45 mins from Seattle. If you ever want to get together give a yell. I would love to see your collection and set ups.

Arnie

Last edited:

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Arnie,
I haven't found any breeders/dealers in Seattle yet. I don't know if I could go to Vancouver trip because i'm going school. I'm waiting for the Puyallup Fair in the spring time. There will be a Reptile Show. maybe I'll see you there
Michael

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh no. I wasn't disputing that. I just haven't seen it in the petstores. And I am not anything close to being into reptiles like I was when I was younger, so I don't spend anytime looking at them on the net like I do tarantulas. I used to really be into snakes. But once I got my first tarantula, my interest in reptiles just started waning.

Lately, I have been thinking about getting a gecko, but not seriously. If I do get a gecko, I am thinking about a fat tailed gecko. I also like the leopard gecko.

Bd

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Oh no. I wasn't disputing that. I just haven't seen it in the petstores. And I am not anything close to being into reptiles like I was when I was younger, so I don't spend anytime looking at them on the net like I do tarantulas. I used to really be into snakes. But once I got my first tarantula, my interest in reptiles just started waning.

Lately, I have been thinking about getting a gecko, but not seriously. If I do get a gecko, I am thinking about a fat tailed gecko. I also like the leopard gecko.

Bd
BD,
Not many petstores carry R.auriculatus. Right now I keep more T's than reptiles (26 so far). That's only because T's take up less space. If you ever do decide to keep a lizard go with leopard geckos. Maintenance wise they are as easy to keep as T's.
Mike

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome Spyderbyte,
Yea, Phillip of Redwine, has some of the best pictures on the net. I bookmarked his site as soon as I came across it, a long time ago.
Well, I just wanted to say hello and welcome..;) Post us a picture of your little spidergirl.

See ya,
Ernie