Hello again! Ant questions once more!

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The inievitable thing will happen with an ant like C. penn, yes you can substitute the diet, but once the colony matures and starts producing alates is when you run into an issue (more workers means more majors, means more big ole ants). I dont have any photos, of allot of the old ant colonies I had, but I have a few that documented quite a bit. Ill just run you through how I dealt with my ant colonies, and you can pick and choose what works best for you.

I used test tube set ups... excellent IMO. Especially with ants like Camponotus pennsylvanicus, and formica speices.

(This right here is WHY you need to understand species names.) Some can found together, and start a colony stronger by working together. After about a year, (if the test tube hasnt dried out before then) you should set your ants up with a new one with a fresh cotton and reservoir.

You still have at least a year before you need a new formicarium (test tube set up wise) in all reality. You would be surprised at how shy first generation ants are. Might be some sort of survival instinct, or just lack of numbers unfamiliar space (im not sure). But they do fine until you hit ~ 10 workers with Camponotus. Then they need a container,

This is a young colony, in its container moving from one old test tube to a new one. These were obviously completely open test tubes. In the closed lid (sealed tight food container).
I don't have any photos of my set ups as a whole, and lost most of the good photos to the fire. (Long story, but I lost most my ants to a fire and have moved so often its just easier to wait on having ants. I might start up a colony this summer... life). But I digress

To summarize you can keep Camponotus in these test tubes, for the first year or so before they start needing more space (or again the cotton dries up).

I kept my T. caespitum in one of these plaster set ups I made.

Perfect example of a plaster formicarium IMO. basically a huge brick. It didn't move much. Hydrostone is much lighter. But the alternative is keeping them in smaller containers, and growing them up as Ive described (poorly). Once it gets difficult to feed them you know they are ready for a new container. So I would keep them in seal-able containers, with vasoline all over the top inch of the container's edges (if you dont have insectaslip). maybe punch some holes or make a few small vents in the plastic (after the vasoline or what ever barrier you use to keep the ants from them.

Please bear with me, I have more responses coming to answer your questions as best I can. I love discussing ants though. Especially trying to get new comers into it! I hope you keep in mind, this is My opinion. Their are a variety of other opinions, this is what works best for me! Its like math, there are allot of ways to solve the problem, what ever works best for you to get to the proper solution (You can always be wrong!). Ive just been very busy with the end of the semester.

-nepenthes

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The inievitable thing will happen with an ant like C. penn, yes you can substitute the diet, but once the colony matures and starts producing alates is when you run into an issue (more workers means more majors, means more big ole ants). I dont have any photos, of allot of the old ant colonies I had, but I have a few that documented quite a bit. Ill just run you through how I dealt with my ant colonies, and you can pick and choose what works best for you.

I used test tube set ups... excellent IMO. Especially with ants like Camponotus pennsylvanicus, and formica speices.

(This right here is WHY you need to understand species names.) Some can found together, and start a colony stronger by working together. After about a year, (if the test tube hasnt dried out before then) you should set your ants up with a new one with a fresh cotton and reservoir.

You still have at least a year before you need a new formicarium (test tube set up wise) in all reality. You would be surprised at how shy first generation ants are. Might be some sort of survival instinct, or just lack of numbers unfamiliar space (im not sure). But they do fine until you hit ~ 10 workers with Camponotus. Then they need a container,

This is a young colony, in its container moving from one old test tube to a new one. These were obviously completely open test tubes. In the closed lid (sealed tight food container).
I don't have any photos of my set ups as a whole, and lost most of the good photos to the fire. (Long story, but I lost most my ants to a fire and have moved so often its just easier to wait on having ants. I might start up a colony this summer... life). But I digress

To summarize you can keep Camponotus in these test tubes, for the first year or so before they start needing more space (or again the cotton dries up).

I kept my T. caespitum in one of these plaster set ups I made.

Perfect example of a plaster formicarium IMO. basically a huge brick. It didn't move much. Hydrostone is much lighter. But the alternative is keeping them in smaller containers, and growing them up as Ive described (poorly). Once it gets difficult to feed them you know they are ready for a new container. So I would keep them in seal-able containers, with vasoline all over the top inch of the container's edges (if you dont have insectaslip). maybe punch some holes or make a few small vents in the plastic (after the vasoline or what ever barrier you use to keep the ants from them.

Please bear with me, I have more responses coming to answer your questions as best I can. I love discussing ants though. Especially trying to get new comers into it! I hope you keep in mind, this is My opinion. Their are a variety of other opinions, this is what works best for me! Its like math, there are allot of ways to solve the problem, what ever works best for you to get to the proper solution (You can always be wrong!). Ive just been very busy with the end of the semester.

-nepenthes

That picture right there is the queens I had a couple years ago same size and everything. Ended up laying 10 eggs in 1-3weeks(forgot exact amount of days....).

The first one--- I never had one like that.

I like the big species, but I'm not sure exactly what's the largest container they'll need forever. Like okay say a fully matured(6-10years) camponotus pennsylvicas(however its spelt-- im using her as an example because I know her more than the other carpenters...)

Exactly how big will her enclosure need to be in that timeframe? Say if I went and found a growing nest of idk 100workers? When she reaches the thousand workers how big will the nest have to be? What's her max. workforce she will ever have available at any given time(All alive at the time being) and I know you said they become a prob. when she spawns alates-- but will she in captivity? And if so can't I just keep two queens and kill the rest(of course I'd dry them up and mount them-- since they're sorta big).

Also if I keep their nest without blinds or whatever in a not-too-bright room would they fare well? I'm thinking only for the queen I could keep a panel up that's removeable to minimize HER stress. I want to see her in all her glory but idk how I can make it so I can see her-- but she can't see me, the light, or my obnoxious dog. lol (don't worry he won't bother them. Just whenever I'm around she comes to my room---long story)

I'd only use the test tubes for a short period until her 20th worker count. I don't like too simple looking habitats. Idk, I guess I like everything to look "Fancy" to my eyes. I could careless if it fancies someone else it's just a personal preference. xD

Now to the far right corner of the formicarium(plaster) I see there is a long pencil shaped hole/indentation what is that for? Water repletes? I'd like to in a sense do the small upgrades here and there to make it sorta like a satellite nest but then again I'd rather a large magnificent set up than a cluster of them. x___x;; I know people like to do the smaller ones. I just want it because for the long run they'll grow in numbers. I just dunno what size will they need at the thousand count. It's just that I don't want to get eventual upgrades except from orig. test tube to set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-n0vGwkFo

That guy has a tank of a size I could easily get. I can get one slightly bigger if needed so. Notice the 4k ant count. Idk how he counted them all. But it seems to be correct.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't wear jackets now. Yesterday it was 72 degrees. I know where the colonies are. That's what tantalizes me soo friggin' much! :c It's just that I can't successfully find the queens with a lot of workers rushing out. x___x;;;I wanted to capture a freshly mated queen carpenter but from what you guys said its better to go with an established queen that's been alive for 1-2years. : x problem is-- idk how to find that "Exact" age. There's no way to measure it imho.
I'll chime in again.

Campanotus are great beginners IMO, they love it dry, and will nest out of anything, I've made a nest out of cardboard, tissue paper. paper machette tic tac boxes etc. Due to dry ness they dont mold like most nests.

Now to find an established queen, you'd have to understand he cycle of campanotus.

A queen leaves the nest, usualy early summer or beginning of fall, if at the beginning of summer, she will produce nantics, that will scavange a food morsels of food, then they go into hibernation, One thing you have to remember, ant wise, campanotus are slow growing, my year old coloney was a fall coloney, I went right after the first frost, and rretieved hr and her hibernating nantics from beneath a log in her founding chamber. no a year later, she has a total of 16 workers. I believe the full cycle from egg to worker is one month or so.. 40 ish days for a complete cycle. so if you find a queen and 10-20 workers your looking at a coloney often into its s

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That picture you copied, I'm pretty sure it was a Camponotus novaeboracensis. If thats any help. A 20 Gallon would be fine for a large colony, you would see allot of concentrated activity. But They would benifit from even larger enclosures. Im Not familiar with the maximum number of workers, but it could be in the 10,000's? Less or more... Its hard to say.

"And if so can't I just keep two queens and kill the rest(of course I'd dry them up and mount them-- since they're sorta big). "

Im not sure what you mean by two queens? Most Camponotus queens do no not found together (as far as I know). As far as observing, you can use a red filter on the glass and it would do essentially the same thing as a blind would do. When founding a colony though they do benefit from privacy and minimal interactions. When you do set up a test tube set up, you want to wait for the numbers to grow. Id almost wait too around 100 workers before putting them in a formicarium, and move them into one that's not so big they are only using 1/4 of the formicarium. You want to make sure the colony develops well before you put them in their second to final enclosure.

On the subject of the plaster setup, that is a reservoir to add water to ensure humidity in the enclosure.

I did find some photos online, of great test tube setups.

You really aught to consider keeping them in something like this until they reach a large number, then you can put them in their final large enclosure! Of course if you see alates, you will want to have a mesh screen so they don't take over your room! If you find a better method by all means try it out!

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That picture you copied, I'm pretty sure it was a Camponotus novaeboracensis. If thats any help. A 20 Gallon would be fine for a large colony, you would see allot of concentrated activity. But They would benifit from even larger enclosures. Im Not familiar with the maximum number of workers, but it could be in the 10,000's? Less or more... Its hard to say.

"And if so can't I just keep two queens and kill the rest(of course I'd dry them up and mount them-- since they're sorta big). "

Im not sure what you mean by two queens? Most Camponotus queens do no not found together (as far as I know). As far as observing, you can use a red filter on the glass and it would do essentially the same thing as a blind would do. When founding a colony though they do benefit from privacy and minimal interactions. When you do set up a test tube set up, you want to wait for the numbers to grow. Id almost wait too around 100 workers before putting them in a formicarium, and move them into one that's not so big they are only using 1/4 of the formicarium. You want to make sure the colony develops well before you put them in their second to final enclosure.

On the subject of the plaster setup, that is a reservoir to add water to ensure humidity in the enclosure.

I did find some photos online, of great test tube setups.

You really aught to consider keeping them in something like this until they reach a large number, then you can put them in their final large enclosure! Of course if you see alates, you will want to have a mesh screen so they don't take over your room! If you find a better method by all means try it out!
Are all ants slow growing like that? Like north american wise. Are there ants that produce enough n umbers to be put into a nest but won't eventually overcrowd the tank(if its supposed to be big enough)

As for the two dried up ants= I meant that if they formed a satelite nest. I'd be "ok" with it as long as it's within the same formicarium and not too many queens. The extra queens I'd kill.

I understand the whole development thing. Because should I put em in a terrarium and they idk suddenly die, or whatever it'd be a real pain in the ass to clean. :C

I did do more research yesterday(i been consumed by a thirst for pure knowledge) and I was looking at the antweb's field guide. I have some species of ants that may not be a carpenter but that I wouldn't mind having. I think I'd like either a camponotus(novaoboracensis or subbarbatus), or pheidole (either bicarinata or pilifera subspecies), and any of the lasius subspecies would be fine for me. I like them all. Even the parasitic ones.

---------- Post added 04-30-2013 at 01:06 PM ----------

I'll chime in again.

Campanotus are great beginners IMO, they love it dry, and will nest out of anything, I've made a nest out of cardboard, tissue paper. paper machette tic tac boxes etc. Due to dry ness they dont mold like most nests.

Now to find an established queen, you'd have to understand he cycle of campanotus.

A queen leaves the nest, usualy early summer or beginning of fall, if at the beginning of summer, she will produce nantics, that will scavange a food morsels of food, then they go into hibernation, One thing you have to remember, ant wise, campanotus are slow growing, my year old coloney was a fall coloney, I went right after the first frost, and rretieved hr and her hibernating nantics from beneath a log in her founding chamber. no a year later, she has a total of 16 workers. I believe the full cycle from egg to worker is one month or so.. 40 ish days for a complete cycle. so if you find a queen and 10-20 workers your looking at a coloney often into its s
I'm thinking of looking for them today.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tetarmorium is my first obvious answer to growth, they are prolific! Not as large as Camponotus, but they are a presence to be reckoned with. Now there aren't any species of ant off the top of my head that explode in population. Most colonies take moment to develop and once they reach a certain point I think most ant colonies develop rather quickly. Satellite nests are not new colonies sprung from old ones, they are just extensions of the original home colony. They don't have new queens, just new space. This is partially how these colonies can get so massive! Make sure when your looking at antweb.org you are looking in the right region. For example, I have Pheidole in my state but, not in my area. New Jersey doesn't have its own region, but I'm sure Eastern Pennsylvania should suffice in similar ecology. Ill have to attempt to collect some queens this year!

nepenthes

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tetarmorium is my first obvious answer to growth, they are prolific! Not as large as Camponotus, but they are a presence to be reckoned with. Now there aren't any species of ant off the top of my head that explode in population. Most colonies take moment to develop and once they reach a certain point I think most ant colonies develop rather quickly. Satellite nests are not new colonies sprung from old ones, they are just extensions of the original home colony. They don't have new queens, just new space. This is partially how these colonies can get so massive! Make sure when your looking at antweb.org you are looking in the right region. For example, I have Pheidole in my state but, not in my area. New Jersey doesn't have its own region, but I'm sure Eastern Pennsylvania should suffice in similar ecology. Ill have to attempt to collect some queens this year!

nepenthes
It sucks nj doesn't have it's own region. But since I'm close to pa it'll have to do.... Anyways. I went outside for a couple hours. Dug up some nests and put them in a bucket-- no queens. I did however see tiny tiny (size of an aphid) winged ants. I think those were the new queens and kings. But I don't know... I barely could see them well-- even with a mag. glass... I'm very bad with near sightedness. So I think in the end I'll keep anything -visible- to my eye sight. Which may include the tetramorium. I did however see a ton of tetras satellite nests. This -may- have been the queens/kings I saw. Because looking at their pictures-- they're kinda small. like very small(even for an ant). They did however make up their size in numbers. I think if I want quality(for me it's quality to be able to see it better with or without mag. glass) I'd have to wait for an actual camponotus. What's the biggest camponotus in this list provided by antweb? :

http://www.antweb.org/description.do?rank=genus&name=camponotus&project=pennsylvaniaants

Would you be able to help me figure that part out? As well as-- have you seen any nuptial flight activity as of yet? I'm just worried I'll miss their flight. :C

As for the satelite nests. Is it bad to pick their numbers down when they seem to be getting too high in numbers? Like if I manually get a small vac and suck up atleast 1/4th of the population once it's over a certain amount(the moment where they are tooo crowded).

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It sucks nj doesn't have it's own region. But since I'm close to pa it'll have to do.... Anyways. I went outside for a couple hours. Dug up some nests and put them in a bucket-- no queens. I did however see tiny tiny (size of an aphid) winged ants. I think those were the new queens and kings. But I don't know... I barely could see them well-- even with a mag. glass... I'm very bad with near sightedness. So I think in the end I'll keep anything -visible- to my eye sight. Which may include the tetramorium. I did however see a ton of tetras satellite nests. This -may- have been the queens/kings I saw. Because looking at their pictures-- they're kinda small. like very small(even for an ant). They did however make up their size in numbers. I think if I want quality(for me it's quality to be able to see it better with or without mag. glass) I'd have to wait for an actual camponotus. What's the biggest camponotus in this list provided by antweb? :

http://www.antweb.org/description.do?rank=genus&name=camponotus&project=pennsylvaniaants

Would you be able to help me figure that part out? As well as-- have you seen any nuptial flight activity as of yet? I'm just worried I'll miss their flight. :C

As for the satelite nests. Is it bad to pick their numbers down when they seem to be getting too high in numbers? Like if I manually get a small vac and suck up atleast 1/4th of the population once it's over a certain amount(the moment where they are tooo crowded).
set up a black light trap at night, a sheet, bright light and bucket, you'll get queens, and even if you miss the flight, go for walks just after sunset, you'll find the queens walking on the sidewalk (Camponotus that is) during those hours most of the summer. as far as what you found, if their smaller then the workers of that coloney, they are probably males.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Malhavoc's post. Black Light Traps work great. I have never used one but Ive read reports of excellent results.

One tip to help be certain you have a fertile alate, is to make a fist and point to the sky. (sounds silly I know) Make sure that their is room for an ant to crawl into your folded fingers. Next you will want to place the suspected alate on your index finger. If the female climbs up and tries to fly away, odds are she hasn't been fertilized. If she climbs down, or into your fist shes likely been fertilized. This is a method I came up with, its not 100% accurate, but a fertilized reproductive is more likely to head for dark spaces, and towards the earth (to found her colony). Just a Tip.

Also, again, finding queens isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Its a matter of being prepared, take test tubes or containers with you every where. You never know where you will find an alate.

*edit*
Now that I think about it, I might have heard that tip from another myrmecophile online.

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Malhavoc's post. Black Light Traps work great. I have never used one but Ive read reports of excellent results.

One tip to help be certain you have a fertile alate, is to make a fist and point to the sky. (sounds silly I know) Make sure that their is room for an ant to crawl into your folded fingers. Next you will want to place the suspected alate on your index finger. If the female climbs up and tries to fly away, odds are she hasn't been fertilized. If she climbs down, or into your fist shes likely been fertilized. This is a method I came up with, its not 100% accurate, but a fertilized reproductive is more likely to head for dark spaces, and towards the earth (to found her colony). Just a Tip.

Also, again, finding queens isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Its a matter of being prepared, take test tubes or containers with you every where. You never know where you will find an alate.

*edit*
Now that I think about it, I might have heard that tip from another myrmecophile online.
Where can I find the blackflash lights?

and could I use a reg. flash light and point it at a a white towel in the floor?

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IDK about that, Usually and just a white sheet and a black light. You can find florecent or just the bulbs. I dont really know, Like Ive said I havent used them.

And since were on the topic of finding ants. I thought I would share a very helpful peice of TXT I got permission to use.

This is meant to be viewed in 1024 by 768 resolution. This list is comprised of sightings from members of this forum. This is by no means a complete list of ants of North America. Additions will be made as they’re identified here by experts or beyond reasonable doubt.

Mating Chart: Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec

Anergates atratulus June, July
Aphaenogaster fulva Sept
Aphaenogaster lamellidens May, June
Aphaenogaster rudis July

Atta texana June

Brachymyrmex depilis Aug, Sept
Brachymyrmex obscurior May, June
Camponotus americanus March, April

Camponotus caryae April

Camponotus castaneus April, May, June
Camponotus chromaiodes April, May, June
Camponotus decipiens June, July

Camponotus floridanus June
Camponotus modoc May, June, July
Camponotus nearcticus April
Camponotus novaeboracensis May, July, Aug
Camponotus obliquus June
Camponotus ocreatus April
Camponotus pennsylvanicus March, April, May, June, July
Camponotus semitestaceus May
Camponotus socius Oct
Camponotus subbarbatus April, May
Camponotus tortuganus June
Camponotus vicinus March, April, May, July
Crematogaster ashmeadi Aug
Crematogaster cerasi Aug

Dolichoderus plagiatus May

Dorymyrmex bicolor April, July, Oct
Dorymyrmex bureni May July
Dorymyrmex insanus March, April, May

Formica aserva July
Formica biophilica June, July, Sept
Formica clara June, July
Formica cunicularis June, July
Formica fusca July
Formica incerta July
Formica pacifica April
Formica obscuripes April
Formica obscuriventris June
Formica pallidefulva June, July
Formica rubicunda July
Formica rufibaris June, July
Formica subpolita June, July
Formica subsericea July
Formica transmontanis Oct

Hypoponera opacior July
Lasius alienus June, July
Lasius alienus (California) Oct
Lasius interjectus March, April, May, June, July
Lasius claviger Sept, Oct
Lasius flavus Aug, Sept
Lasius latipes July, Aug, Sept

Lasius murphyi June
Lasius nearcticus July, Sept
Lasius neoniger Aug, Sept, Oct
Lasius umbratus July, Sept, Oct
Liometopum luctuosum May
Messor andrei July
Messor pergandei March, April

Monomorium floricola May, June

Monomorium minimum June
Myrmecocystus kennedyi March
Myrmecocystus minmicus March
Myrmecocystus semirufus March, April
Myrmecocystus testaceus March
Myrmica pinetorum July
Myrmica sp. Sept
Myrmica sp. Apr
Myrmica punctiventris Sept

Neivamyrmex nigrescens July

Neivamyrmex swainsonii July

Nylanderia flavipes May
Nylanderia faisonensis May
Nylanderia parvula May
Nylanderia terricola May

Odontomachus clarus June, July

Pheidole bicarinata June, July

Pheidole dentata May, June

Pheidole flavens May, June

Pheidole floridana May

Pheidole megacephala May

Pheidole morrisii June
Pheidole pilifera June, July, Aug
Pheidole tysoni Aug
Pogonomyrmex badius June
Pogonomyrmex californicus June, July
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis July, Aug

Pogonomyrmex rugosus July
Pogonomyrmex subdentatus Oct
Polyergus breviceps Aug, Sept
Polyergus lucidus July, Aug, Sept
Ponera pennsylvanica Sept
Prenolepis imparis Jan, Feb, March, April, May
Proceratium chickasaw Aug
Pseudomyrmex gracilis July

Solenopsis amblychila April

Solenopsis invicta April, May, June
Solenopsis pergandei May, June

Solenopsis molesta May, July, Aug, Sept, Oct
Solenopsis tennesseensis July, Aug
Solenopsis texana July
Solenopsis truncorum June
Solenopsis xyloni June, July

Stenamma sp. May
Tapinoma sessile April, May, June, July
Temnothorax curvispinosus June, July, Aug, Sept
Tetramorium bicarinatum May, June
Tetramorium caespitum May, June, July

Trachymyrmex septentrionalis June, July, Aug "

-MrILoveTheAnts

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well good thing is I -think- I found a queen ant. I'm not very sure. She's not new though. She's got like a hundred workers or more swarming from a log. And I swear I think I saw more than one queen(un-winged) in the same nest. Is this possible? I saw minor workers, large workers and between them running the queen was SLIGHTLY larger. SLIGHTLY and I can't stress it enough. Like less than a cm larger 1/4th larger. I'm not sure if it's a queen. It's black and large. I think a camponotus sp. Because I found it in a moist rotting log. I got some workers for her because they were annoying to catch. I went to the water and submerged the log and spent 1hour trying to get her out. Is there a sure way to differentiate from major workers? =w=;; she has a fat gaster but idk how to describe it. It's killing me. So i'm still going to the woods to flip some logs and such because there's another nest but I think it might be a satelite and it's quite so bothering the crud out of me that I cannot figure it out for my life. Last time it was obv. because she was the only queen ant there(like the last two I caught) and the other ant was like 2 ft away from the first ant and both were alone and plump and idk how to describe it. one ant looks like it has something sticking out of her butthole. so idk if that might be a queen. But it's not bigger. so it's just ugh.

I got a few extra workers in the lil containers I just don't know how to calm them down enough to transfer them to the queens container or if they'd get killed cause the water may have lost their scent. x__x the queen and the others that I JUST put in the same vial were NOT killing each other. They were following each other but then suddenly stopped and the queens now clinging to the moist cotton. She's possibly ubber stressed. could she die from that?

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Mesoma would be bulkier than the workers and even majors. There would also be scar's on the Mesoma, I beleive another defining characteristic is the workers wont have Ocelli on the head.

Yes, you need to set up a test tube in what ever container you use. You can entice them in by putting a drop of honey at the entrance, (wiping up after a day it turns to liquid quick w/ humidity(maybe a few test tubes to let them get established then in a couple months put them in a new enclosure. And for for the first few weeks you will want the test tubes to be covered with foil.

Make sure there are enough test tubes, and a large enough container with vasoline with about a 1" width around the top. It gets messy!

Pictures would be incredibly helpful.
nepenthes

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Mesoma would be bulkier than the workers and even majors. There would also be scar's on the Mesoma, I beleive another defining characteristic is the workers wont have Ocelli on the head.

Yes, you need to set up a test tube in what ever container you use. You can entice them in by putting a drop of honey at the entrance, (wiping up after a day it turns to liquid quick w/ humidity(maybe a few test tubes to let them get established then in a couple months put them in a new enclosure. And for for the first few weeks you will want the test tubes to be covered with foil.

Make sure there are enough test tubes, and a large enough container with vasoline with about a 1" width around the top. It gets messy!

Pictures would be incredibly helpful.
nepenthes
Since there's only like 6-7workers and 1 queen I'm keeping her in the tube then i'd do what you said

I'll need to look a pic on that to see what you mean about the queen

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
http://www.antweb.org/specimen.do?name=casent0104865&project=ohioants common C. pennsylvanicus.
This should help you understand better. I was going to put it in the original post but I forgot.
Since I don't have a car battery and only extensions. Could I possibly buy a trap set it outside and wait for the next day? what's the best house if you're going to leave a trap in your yard? I just want to catch as much FERTILE queens as possible

p.s. <___>;; Idk i don't think I caught a queen. DX just an over sized MAJOR worker possibly.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a black light isnt neccessarly a black light, its just a flourscent bulb. I'm not sure why Its called a black light trap now that I think of it..

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a black light isnt neccessarly a black light, its just a flourscent bulb. I'm not sure why Its called a black light trap now that I think of it..
I heard it was a uv bulb basically. :x If I could keep a uv bulb that's not really producing light in my own yard that would be awesome. Then I could just hide it near my house and not have to worry about anyone getting bothered by the light.

-----
is that the most effective way to get atleast 10 freshly mated queen ants in one sitting? Would it be good to put hide outs in there or sand or something? Obv. I think you'd put the corners with something to prevent them from leaving like insect-a-slip which I just received today. is there something that can also aid in attracting them? Any pheremones? I'd like any species of queen ant that is big. I hear some people over here say some queens can be up to 1inch and 1/4ths o_O idk about that one though.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never used any method but just searching, No traps, no baiting, just going and doing rounds around the yard, mowing the lawn, ect. ect. If you get up early sometimes you can find queens stuck to dew on vehicles even.