heebiejeebies!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey --

Yeah i noticed about 6 spiders in one day, just the normal P.auduax or P.regina, nothing special... a couple of House sp. spiders too...

I keep ep --- put em all in the same little deli cup -- watch Spider Death War 2003 -- its funny, cos my big fat P.audax is a killing machine. Man, jumping spiders can do anything! I have this real small one thats gravid, but i feed her full size crickets! I posted some pics of my P.audax eating a cricket in the Spider Forum --

its crazy....

but yeah, im still slowly getting better with non-Ts... i think they're cool.

and i don't pit them in death matches against each other, but i will feed a particularly aggressive house spider to the Jumping spider, just to see the carnage --

it's amazing watching a P.audax or anything in the Phidippus genus hunting -- they got these big cute eyes on their face, with beautiful bright green, aqua chelicerae -- and they web up in the corner and just sit still, watching and turning their bodies with the prey untill finally they leap out of their enclosure and pounce on the food --

it's pretty cool actually!

good luck with the invasion == this is the week when we first start seeing eggsac's hatching... i've caught about 15 in the past couple weeks alone!

peace,
dave

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very nice text on spiders...

I enjoyed it!

I also keep house and other spiders. I've currently got 4. 1 Jumping spider and 3 spiders I got in a cricket shipment. I think they are thanimus vulgaris (I'm sure my spelling is off. I have the true spelling recorded at home as that is the name the cricket company gave me.) The 3 are really cool. They've molted several time and are almost an inch across. I've got 1 female and 2 mature males. I've been afraid to put them together as these spiders are native to Lousiana and I'm in Virginia. I'd hate to start a population of them here, but I wouldn't know what to do with any of offspring if there were some.
I also love crab spiders and would love to get some of those, but they are not common in Virginia. I had one last year that I kept for 6 months before it died.
I haven't kept any of the widow spiders yet, but if I caught one, I would find some way of justifying keeping it.

Ralph

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just catch them and put them outside. That's what I always do. Hell, at work if one of the nurses sees any spider, regardless of size my phone in the lab is ringing to come and catch the thing. I've been called at home when a snake got into the hospital. And one of the ER docs whenever we get a spider bite in ER he calls me and has me come in to ID the spider and tell him how venemous it is.

Andy