Heavy rain brings... African Giant Snails...

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
A couple days ago we had a storm, keep in mind this was a small storm. Imagine a hurricane here.

Here is a few pictures of my neighborhood. There was a lot more than this though...

Oh and here comes the exciting part. For all you gastropod lovers. Everywhere... I didn't wanna walk outside because everything was covered in them! Screenshot_20191120-091321_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20191120-092349_Photos.jpg 20191119_080136(0).jpg 20191119_073905.jpg 20191119_074053.jpg 20191119_122608.jpg 20191119_122523.jpg 20191119_200919.jpg

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Wow. That doesn't seem like a small storm (either that or y'all have some very weak trees). Was there any serious damage?
Love the pictures of all the slugs and snails though! Only those two species, or were there others?

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A couple days ago we had a storm, keep in mind this was a small storm. Imagine a hurricane here.

Here is a few pictures of my neighborhood. There was a lot more than this though...

Oh and here comes the exciting part. For all you gastropod lovers. Everywhere... I didn't wanna walk outside because everything was covered in them! View attachment 326122 View attachment 326132 View attachment 326125 View attachment 326126 View attachment 326127 View attachment 326128 View attachment 326129 View attachment 326130
These photos remind of the years I live in Oahu, Hawaii. We had lots of Achatina snails there as well.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Wow. That doesn't seem like a small storm (either that or y'all have some very weak trees). Was there any serious damage?
Love the pictures of all the slugs and snails though! Only those two species, or were there others?

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts
I'd estimate about ~$30,000 in property damage and a few thousands for clean up.

The trees in this area are not maintained at all. The housing association only cares about the outside look and main road. When trees are over grown they get pretty heavy and catch the wind easily.

There is probably one other species of slugs and 2 others of snails. One of them is super small and come shaped, I should've take pictures. The other is the rosy wolf snail.

The real cool snails are our rare native ones. Too bad they go extinct often... I have a friend that is helping to document them and care for adults. Just look up native hawaiian tree snail.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This may be a dumb question, but arnt those snail highly invasive ? Are they cuasing a impact on the Island ?

Later, Tom

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
This may be a dumb question, but arnt those snail highly invasive ? Are they cuasing a impact on the Island ?

Later, Tom
Oh yes they are, in fact I believe illegal everywhere in the united states. As a kid we would throw them and watch me splat!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Achatina are some of the most restricted invertebrates in the United States for causing millions of dollars of damage in both Florida and Hawaii, as well as driving several species (especially in Hawaii) to extinction. They can also spread diseases.
For an example of how tightly regulated they are, some people have brown-boxed highly restricted phasmids, mantids, isopods, etc. into the US. Nobody to my knowledge has been able to sneak in any Achatina, of if they have they're scared enough not to post about it anywhere. Not even museums/zoos can get the required permits for these in most cases.

I respect the government on this matter, but I can't help wishing I could keep one, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Nobody to my knowledge has been able to sneak in any Achatina, of if they have they're scared enough not to post about it anywhere
I wouldn't be shocked to find out someone brought some out of Florida, but if they did they are wisely keeping it on the down-low. And no I'm not talking about me - I didn't think of it. And from what I've read it's too late now anyway - they've been pretty much eradicated in Florida.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@SonsofArachne, agreed. I knew someone in Canada had a bunch of Achatina fulica var. jadatzi "White Jade" (I think that's the proper species classification), and only us invertebrate enthusiasts understand how hard it is to resist that. Suffice to say, I survived without ordering, but only just barely, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
@SonsofArachne, agreed. I knew someone in Canada had a bunch of Achatina fulica var. jadatzi "White Jade" (I think that's the proper species classification), and only us invertebrate enthusiasts understand how hard it is to resist that. Suffice to say, I survived without ordering, but only just barely, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
If I had thought of it, well, I've said it before and I'll say it again " No way any Achatina would survive a Ohio winter" so I really would be more worried about being caught than I would believe I was actually doing something wrong.