Heating + Polystyrene Safety

chestnut

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I have a question in regards to keeping my Tarantula sling warm. Currently where I live, night temperatures inside can dip to 12-15ºC (53-59ºF), even as low as 9ºC (48.2ºF). I'm looking at keeping my sling in a polystyrene box with a heat mat at the top. It's cheaper than me keeping the whole room warm with a 2000W electric heater. Should I have any concerns about the heating of the polystyrene and whether it will affect my T?

Setup:

polystyrene_box.jpg

chestnut

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Well, polystyrene is an aromatic hydrocarbon. So heating it will start it breaking down into all those crude oil based chemicals. How hot and how much? Sounds like rolling the dice to me. You certainly want to avoid getting it hot enough to detect unusual odors from it.

chestnut

Arachnopeon
Well, polystyrene is an aromatic hydrocarbon. So heating it will start it breaking down into all those crude oil based chemicals. How hot and how much? Sounds like rolling the dice to me. You certainly want to avoid getting it hot enough to detect unusual odors from it.
The mat goes to max 35ºC iirc (ambient temperature obviously lower), but I can smell the foam when I stick my head in :confused: I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Might just opt for a cardboard box...

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Dont use cardboard it wont reflect enough heat back/polysytrene is the perfect conductor in this instance.heat mats need to be at 14.c or nearer 17-./18/19. To get to 22-25.c

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
So are we just going to ignore the fact that attaching an electrical heating element, like a heat mat, to plastic foam or paper products is a huge fire hazard? :rofl:

Always read the manufacturer's instructions for its proper usage and safety guidelines! They are printed for a reason!

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Well its dependant upon the individuals requirements all of my heating mats(standard)not the high output that do require a thermostat are backed onto polystyrene sheets and have been safely for many years.

chestnut

Arachnopeon
So are we just going to ignore the fact that attaching an electrical heating element, like a heat mat, to plastic foam or paper products is a huge fire hazard? :rofl:

Always read the manufacturer's instructions for its proper usage and safety guidelines! They are printed for a reason!
LOL It's ok I have thought about it :rofl: Thanks though, I do appreciate the concern ^_^
The mat goes to a maximum of 35ºC. I've adjusted it to lower temperatures because I don't need it that high. The only time it'd burn the house down is if there's an electrical fault, which is the risk you take with all electrical items. There is an extremely sensitive fire alarm next to the room which goes off even with steam, so not too concerned.

Well its dependant upon the individuals requirements all of my heating mats(standard)not the high output that do require a thermostat are backed onto polystyrene sheets and have been safely for many years.
Do you mind if I take a look at your setup? Only thing I'm concerned about with the foam box is it's surrounding, as opposed to being an insert within a wall (if that makes sense). I even felt a bit sick after inhaling the fumes a few times to see how strong it was >_>

esa space station

Arachnoknight
LOL It's ok I have thought about it :rofl: Thanks though, I do appreciate the concern ^_^ The mat goes to a maximum of 35ºC. I've adjusted it to lower temperatures because I don't need it that high. The only time it'd burn the house down is if there's an electrical fault, which is the risk you take with all electrical items. There is an extremely sensitive fire alarm next to the room which goes off even with steam, so not too concerned. Do you mind if I take a look at your setup? Only thing I'm concerned about with the foam box is it's surrounding, as opposed to being an insert within a wall (if that makes sense). I even felt a bit sick after inhaling the fumes a few times to see how strong it was >_>
well i dont have a problem with it but mine are done in a similair way/scroll thru some of my gallery pics/posts if you like .my heating mats (13 watt standard)are inside the tanks!they are screened off by 2mm perspex to allow 90 percent heat thru/they are backed onto polystyrene sheets .basically i built the enclosure/polyurethane foam 3-4"thick layered with gorilla glue and substrate /cork bark etc.the heat mat is screened off as stated and blends imto decor the probe in the burrow 3" away from heat source(t sits a few inches away unless it wants a warm) 22.c-24.5 .c .3 plus years all good but principles are the same

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'd be too concerned the polystyrene would start gassing out aromatics and make toxic air for my Ts.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
The mat goes to max 35ºC iirc (ambient temperature obviously lower), but I can smell the foam when I stick my head in :confused: I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Might just opt for a cardboard box...
If you can smell it giving off fumes that's probably a sign you don't want to keep heating it up honestly.

nrice

Arachnopeon
Ive used polystyrene fish boxes up to 85 to 90 degree Fahrenheit with no issues not saying it cant be problematic at higher temp but under standard temp I dont think you would have any issues I would still recommend a food cooler over polystyrene or a heated cabinet like alot of people use over in europe and a thermostat.