Heating multiple tanks

gaully

Arachnopeon
I'm looking at buying a lot more T's, what i would like to know is whats the best way to heat [say ten tanks] The most efficient way's please

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if your t-room doesn't get exceptionally cold, you don't need additional heating. if you need it though, you could get a heating cable and put it on the backsides of the tanks. never put them under the tanks though, as ts tend to burrow when they feel it's too warm. those cables come with length up to 6 metres.

i have a bit more than 10 tanks :rolleyes:, and i use three 40 w dim light bulbs to simulate a day-night-rhythm and give a bit of additional warmth on my t shelf. the lamps are positioned in the middle of the shelf, one on each second level, and the ts are arranged according to their preferred temperature. desert species near the lamp, swamp and mountain species as far away from it as possible.

this setup works fine, as winter-summer and day-night simulation seems to stimulate mating and sac building. if you don't intend to breed them, it's really unneccessary though.

gaully

Arachnopeon
Thanks Alice for taking the time to help me. Do you have any photos off your tank setups to show me, as i want to get all this right the first time. It possibley can get around 10 dgs in my room.too cold i geuss to get away with it.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, that's too cold for many/most species. but gosh, how great for breeding, i envy you! even in the middle of winter and with the heating turned off and the window open, i cannot get my kitchen (cooling period room ;)) below 15-18°C due to my neighbours' excessive heating...

if it's really that cold, i would suggest you get the heating cable, as you will also need heat at night.
an alternative is you use a setup similar to mine but use red lamps, as ts cannot see red light - so it won't bother them. just be aware that with heat-lighting, you will need to mist a bit more often to keep the air humid. also, use normal red colored light bulbs from your local drug store, not reptile heating lamps. the latter provide a punktual, too hot heat source.

i can post a pic tonight when i get home from work, need to take and upload it first though. maybe you'll need to use one heat lamp per shelf level. my rooms don't get as cold as yours, so one heat lamp every second shelf level is enough for me...

T 'n T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
An alternative: I use a space heater for my ‘critter room,’ and keep the door closed. This method also shuts out the kitty.

My friend would nail a blanket over the door to keep in the heat. His cat liked the T’s too, but stopped bothering them after it knocked over a tank and got haired. :eek:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry, pics tomorrow, didn't go home after work but went celebrating my promotion and just got home... have to get up in like 5 hours...:D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
An alternative: I use a space heater for my ‘critter room,’ and keep the door closed.

I do this personally. With close to 300 Ts they get their own room, I have some accurate temp meters that get a general idea of what the room is at and with one 20 dollar space heater the room holds temps at 79-82. And that is perfect for me and my breeding projects.
Heating the whole room is much easier then trying to heat individual tanks.

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When you are heating a bunch of enclosures it's also more economical to heat the room. Cut my power bill in half when I was breeding snakes.

gaully

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Cheers! you've all helped me a great deal, I'll let yous know the method i'll use.:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so here's the promised pic. as i don't have that many tanks (three more are in cooling period, plus some juvies and slings not in the pic), a total of three dim spot suffices to heat them to a good temperature. that's cheaper for me than heating the room, which is not very cold in any season anyway.

my setup:

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dang those are some nice setups, me and my gf are getting ready to move soon, and I get my own T room, I can only hope to get it somewhat looking orginized like that. Mine are all clustered here and there and everywhere. Where do you get those small tanks that are on top of that big one to the left?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
those are really very convenient - i get them at reptile shows, and they are around 6-7 € (15x15x20 cm). all my females get glass tanks, as my collection is not that big. tupperware only for the slings and juvies ;)

i also like that front-sliding-door. never had a t escape, as those tanks have no lids and gravity pulls down the door by itself. plus, they have double ventilation so the air can circulate.
granted, the big one on the right near the ground was expensive (around 23€ and 40x40x35 cm), but still a lot cheaper than an exoterra.

i forgot: they need to be nice and organized - that is a corner of our living room, and my bf is quite the housekeeper ;)

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very nice Alice.:clap: European tanks are so much better then the ones we have here. I wish they'd make those kind of tanks here. You have it very organized and good looking. One reason I don't like American tanks, they don't have that neat structure and appearance the European ones do. Ah, if only...

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You'd be amazed how much heat a 60 W bulb puts off. I use standart 60 W bulbs to heat my roach colonies.

As already said, any tarantula will do fine at room temperature.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hm, i can't understand why you don't get them over the pond. actually, they are not difficult to build. ok, beyond my amateurish cut-my-hand-by-looking-at-the-glass-capabilities, but quite a few hobbyists and breeders with a cheap glass cutter at hand have started making their own. now, you even get the ventilation metal strip and the plastic sliding thingy for the glass doors at most shops and reptile shows. any entrepreneur here who wants to try it and make loads of money? ;)

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Hi
I use a multiple tank heater to heat multiple tanks.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Chris

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
You could try solid fuel heating if you have a wood near by.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You could try solid fuel heating if you have a wood near by.
Anyone know off hand if burning a wood stove on a regular basis would have any sort of effect on Ts?
I mean there is some smoke that always gets into the room even if its alittle. I'm curious if anyone knows if its harmful.

gaully

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the flicks Alice. Like everyone is saying!Top setup mate. Cheers for the help. I was going to make my own tanks too, got some great ideas running through my nut,can't wait to get started on my project

gaully

Arachnopeon
I burn incense all the time it dose'nt seam to bother them at all. I reckcon the tanks are sealed enough to prevent to much smoke to get in and worrying the T's Also they would probably be pacing their cages if they were stressed by the smoke.