Heating cables?

Stugy

Arachnolord
I am in need of finding a heat source for my collection and it seems that heat cables are probably the way to go (plus they are rather inexpensive depending on length). I would love to see how other people here use them. Can you tape a heat cable? Won't the cable melt the tape or something? Is there any other practical way of heating as I feel that I want to avoid heat mats since they only really cover one enclosure at a time. Pictures are most welcome as I really have no idea how I may set it up lol :)
Edit: maybe this thread can go to another section but I mainly do scorpions so I just put it here :p

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I am in need of finding a heat source for my collection and it seems that heat cables are probably the way to go (plus they are rather inexpensive depending on length). I would love to see how other people here use them. Can you tape a heat cable? Won't the cable melt the tape or something? Is there any other practical way of heating as I feel that I want to avoid heat mats since they only really cover one enclosure at a time. Pictures are most welcome as I really have no idea how I may set it up lol :)
Edit: maybe this thread can go to another section but I mainly do scorpions so I just put it here :p
From what I know and have heard don't use heat cables designed for reptiles. But that's only what I've seen here on arachnoboards, I live in a hot place so I never really need the extra heating

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I personally use a 100 watt "ceramic " no light heat bulb. It puts off A LOT of heat. I hover it over my enclosures. Since they're all small. With the desert/ aired so. Closer to the heat and the rest a few inches away and it keeps them at 90° during the day and closer to mid 80s at night

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Laying in bed now. Snapped a quick pic. I hollowed out a medium dresses. Have the leopard geckos on top with scorps below. The lamp mounted above, warms up the area nicely.

"Spiderman" YouTube channel he uses heat cables that run down the back of his rack system . I'm sure the same concept would work with a dresser setup or shelf setup. Just dangle the heat cables behind them

Attachments

Stugy

Arachnolord
So you have the heat lamp clipped to the drawer pointed at the enclosures? Just thinking a bit more since it looks like I'm gonna get my yearly supply of money in a bit (I don't have a job ;)) so I want to use my money wisely.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Sorry didn't see the last reply... it not a light it's a ceramic heat bulb. 100watt. (Puts off A lot! of heat) so it works fine warming up the cabinet area to 90s on the side where I have it pointed towards for my desert sp . And I put my scorps that don't need as much heat to the left where it stays around 80... I'll turn it off for a few hours when I get home but I leave it on most of the time

I'll move the lamp around all the time. But that's basically what it looks like. 20170515_171552.jpg

Stugy

Arachnolord
Just gonna bring this thread back to life. How do heat cables work? With my current situation, the heat emitter I purchased was a complete waste of my money. Can I just dangle the heat cables next to the enclosures and it'll heat them up? I'd love to be have a set-up somewhat similar to @ArachnoDrew's but my parents are extremely hesitant completely stuck on the thought that the emitter may catch something on fire. So far I've figure this is HIGHLY unlikely as the porcelain socket doesn't get very hot while it's on and the emitter won't be able to get hot enough to catch a fire even in the right situation anyways. But due to this hesitancy by my parents, I must look for a different option for heating.

Just dangle the heat cables behind them
And yes I've already read that just so you can't quote yourself on it lol. Hopefully someone who actually uses heat cables may say something on this.

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
I've used both heat cables and heat tape. Some of the cables were on the bottom of the enclosures in the past, but my current system is a large piece of heat tape placed vertically behind a large cabinet, secured in place by a thin piece of peg board. The space in between the shelving allows the heat tape to breathe, and it is controlled by a thermostat mounted on the side of the cabinet. On the front of the cabinet, I mounted an insulated locking door for two purposes. To keep the warm air in and uninvited little humans out.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I've used both heat cables and heat tape. Some of the cables were on the bottom of the enclosures in the past, but my current system is a large piece of heat tape placed vertically behind a large cabinet, secured in place by a thin piece of peg board. The space in between the shelving allows the heat tape to breathe, and it is controlled by a thermostat mounted on the side of the cabinet. On the front of the cabinet, I mounted an insulated locking door for two purposes. To keep the warm air in and uninvited little humans out.
Would absolutely love to see a picture of that set-up. Lol I've never heard of heat tape and when I searched it up I got smacked with high prices and I almost yelled "NOPE" out loud lmao

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
48\'\'X12\'\' flexwatt.jpg
Flexwatt 48"X12"cost $25 consumes less than 50 watts when energized. T\'stat and fan.jpg
T'stat (line voltage) cost $14 temp range 60°-92°F. Fan and flexwatt are energized simultaneously. I built this cabinet years back, mainly for slings, now has mostly scorpions requiring higher temps than the main invert room provides. 1" thick Styrofoam encapsulates the entire cabinet. Total cost, minus shelving & inverts is under $100 and completed over a weekend.
I do have a heat cable, industrial type, thats self regulating, max temp is 88°F. I don't use it, coiled and collecting dust. Flexwatt is cheap, depending on your definition, low energy consumption and readily available. I had mine made, to length, at the local reptile show, available in 3 widths.
As far as tape, use HVAC aluminum tape, high tack strength, can be difficult to remove, won't melt.

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
I meant to say I use Flexwatt, exactly like the setup posted above. In fact, I based my system off a similar picture I saw on Arachnoboards. It works marvelously.