Heat pad?

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if I should put a heat pad on my centipedes enclosure. Should i put it on the bottom or side or the enclosure? Or do you think I even need one at all? It is starting to get warmer here in New England. Thanks

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
unless your centipede's enclosure is dropping beneath 50*F for days at a time i would not use a heat pad

i also would not use a heatpad in an enclosure that is staying above 65*F for more than half of the day unless you have it on a thermostat type of sensor.

centipedes require and thrive in less warmth than most tarantulas and scorpions. further they dehydrate like an order of magnitude faster, due to being unable to completely seal themselves against waterloss as desert scorps can. i believe they also lack the waxy cuticle layer that scorps and taras from dryer areas have hyper developed as a means of reducing water loss.

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if I should put a heat pad on my centipedes enclosure. Should i put it on the bottom or side or the enclosure? Or do you think I even need one at all? It is starting to get warmer here in New England. Thanks
hello. as for my case.. i have two haitian giant centipede juveniles. one is 10 and the other is 9.5cm. so i keep them only in a cage together. the cage is as small as 28*18*20cm(x*y*z). i don't use any special heater. but i put the cage onto my dsl modem. because it's running all day long and enoughly warm itself. so it's very useful for this time. but i will buy something good like heater when they grow more not enough to put on the modem. see ya.