Heat mat question

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
@Kendricks You apparently don't even know the reference to my post about the NOs so it's really pointless to argue. It didn't even have anything to do with my view on heat mats. Apparently intertextuality isn't your strong point :)

So next time you decide to "Blitzkrieg" all over my comments, make sure you know everything there is to know.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
@Kendricks You apparently don't even know the reference to my post about the NOs so it's really pointless to argue. It didn't even have anything to do with my view on heat mats. Apparently intertextuality isn't your strong point :)

So next time you decide to "Blitzkrieg" all over my comments, make sure you know everything there is to know.
Oh but I do!

Every now and then the new forum users need to be told what are the 3 big NOs when it comes to posts here. They are as follows: 1. heat mats 2. handling and 3. hybrids.
Seriously, why are you doing that to yourself?
And you wanted to claim some moral high ground regarding debate tactics when it's solely you who's being dishonest, deceiving and trying to avoid addressing my points, while now completely going ad-hominem.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
@Kendricks I won't even continue this argument, since your tactic of a conversation is ripping everything apart and looking for some deeper meaning. Are you a teacher btw? Who said anything about heat mats being horrible? They just aren't suitable for Ts, that's what we all are trying to say. Why on earth would I bash heat mats just because they are heat mats??

Chill out mate.. Every post you go to you piss all over people for no reason. I see you're new here. You'll learn through numerous burn threads that it's easier to discourage the use of heat mats than to provide an instruction manual for them. But luckily we got you - the heat mat genious.
I agree with your original post. I see complaints about the Zoo Meds being too hot even for reptiles. Without a good quality thermostat there is risk as well. These things are manufactured cheaply and fail quite often unless you spend money on a much higher quality brand like some of the ones made for outdoor plants.

i used to use it....id need a swimming pool...its great if you only have a handful though....super economical and safe...no warm or cool spots, just gentle heat with evaporation surrounding the slings.

you couldnt pay me to use a heat mat, especially for slings....to me rotating them doesnt make it any safer unless you are doing it like every 5-10 min...which is unrealistic.
This is probably the best way.

This is a video explaining
If a heat pad is used, this is the only way I would use it. But I would still add a quality thermostat.

boina

Lady of the mites
My "tactic" (are we at war now?) is to address your claims carefully and thoroughly, so nothing gets lost in translation and no misunderstandings develop.
If you think that's a bad thing, the joke is on you. Sorry.

Also quite rich for someone who results to getting personal, avoiding the other sides arguments only because he had none/found his claims to be challenged.
So much for "tactics".

You did, you just happily noted how your "3 NO'S" are being noticed.

Remind me, what were the other 2?

"All"? Careful there, very slippery slope.
And they are suitable. Thousands of keepers have proven this. You may chose to ignore what I said about the UK, but that won't render it untrue.

I don't know - you tell me?

This is where you cross a line!
I will NOT stand by such accusations! If you check my profile and total posts, you'll see how much i really "piss on people" and unlike you, I deliver arguments based on facts and reason - without getting personal. You're the one escalating this, and you're the one who's not constructive!
Address my arguments, not me!

You'll learn through numerous burn threads that the WRONG use of heat mats are what's the issue, not the mats. Seriously, learn the difference, it matters!

And instead of resulting to becoming more and more hostile and personal (while blaming me for "pissing on others"?) invest that energy in an argument for a change or leave it be!

I'm not responsible for your drivel, so don't blame me for addressing your wrong and over the top claims, especially if you're unable to support them and just look to pick a fight.
I'm sorry Kendricks, but your tone is often hostile and argumentative. Maybe it's cultural - it will work very well in a German forum, but around here I have to agree with @ledzeppelin. I often cringe when reading your posts, even though I'm equally sure you don't mean it as harsh and argumentative as you sound.

In this case it was you who definitely sounded as if you not only wanted to pick a fight, but destroy your opponent. Yes, I did read a few of your posts and often thought you were needlessly "pissing on others". You are accusing ledzeppelin of everything I took your post to be - rude, overly argumentative, needlessly hostile. Just - check your tone and try to come over a little more neutral, as I'm sure you thought you were.

And this post of yours is an escalation that really wasn't called for AT ALL. You are very sensitive when you feel you get attacked and that's only OK if you practice the same politeness you are demanding of others.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Sure, let's ignore that he's the one who got personal, denied to address my arguments and instead started to bathe in the victim role.
My tone may be like you said at times - but to me it's not tone that matters, it's the facts, the argument, the truth.

He puts heat mats on the same level of evil ad handling and hybrids but fails to deliver a SINGLE solid argument to actually support that, and when challenged, gets personal.

I never addressed him, let alone wanted to destroy him (please don't be ridiculous!) -his damnation of heat mats, that's what I addressed.

But who cares, as long ad we are all nice and easy in the face of stupidity.

Incredible.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Who said temps need to be raised significantly?

No one said to put the mat under the enclosure - as I said, the problem aren't heat mats, using them wrong with t's is.

Deli cups are also not meant for raising t's, but do the job just fine. Heat mats do work, AFAIK, they're big in the UK.

Exactly. Though just a minute ago you argued they don't raise temps significantly, implying that's expected of them. So what is it now?

Yes, so?
Doesn't render the use of heat mats a "no no", though - does it?

Just like you gotta turn on/off every other heat source in use, big deal, really.
How is that an argument!?
Also, there are timeclocks - oh the wonders of modern technology...

Though you're exaggerating the costs-issue in my opinion, this is partially true... but still no argument that supports the silly, eternal, still unfounded claim of "heat mats are hellspawn", sorry.

You are literally complaining that you can't eat soup with a knife. You blame the heat mat for not doing things it wasn't designed for (replacing space heaters), that's just digging for issues - not constructive, though.

You, again, paint it as black as possible only to support your initial claim, but ultimately, you describe how not to use heat mats - and then blame heat mats.

Everything electronic can malfunction.

In my country we have services that test and approve electronics, guaranteeing safety standards (that are indeed high!)

Maybe don't buy the cheapest "made in China" crap no one checked, so no evil heat mat will magically malfunction - as if this would happen all the time... please.

With a little cherry-picking and
exaggerating potential issues while also implying using them wrong, sure.

Heat mats sure aren't the best choice - but they can do the trick if used right and with common sense.

A space heater can also kill your t, even your whole collection(!), if used wrongly by a moron. Is that the heaters fault though?

So, as we can see, heat mats don't kill spiders - morons who use them wrong do.
So let's blame the heat mats!

o_O
Not sure what your trying to accomplish by dismissing his posts, he made some very good points. Of course it can be argued that heat pads are not to blame. Human error is almost always going to be the cause no matter what your doing wrong when working with technology, but using heat pads is risky no matter how you put it, you are making it seem like a walk in the park. You don't need to be a moron to make mistakes...

@ledzeppelin provided many valid arguments on how it's not necessary to use them. Out of curiosity, do you use heat mats and have you had any experience with them in the past?

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
@ledzeppelin provided many valid arguments on how it's not necessary to use them.
Which never was the issue.

He declared heat mats one of the 3 big no's, along with handling and hybrids!
THAT is what I addressed.
Nothing he said justifies this - now does it?
Further, my arguments still weren't addressed. How convenient.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes. Meaning that unfortunately the "heat mats are bad!" myth will live on despite the fact that heat mats are perfectly fine.
Using them the wrong way is the problem.

It's like blaming a kitchen knife when you cut yourself with it.
its like using a kitcken knife to pound nails...yeah, it might work, but its far from the best tool for the job.

heat mat issues are not a myth...theyre the wrong tool for the job with ts...designed for reptiles and thats what its use should be relegated to IMO.

boina

Lady of the mites
Sure, let's ignore that he's the one who got personal, denied to address my arguments and instead started to bathe in the victim role.
My tone may be like you said at times - but to me it's not tone that matters, it's the facts, the argument, the truth.

He puts heat mats on the same level of evil ad handling and hybrids but fails to deliver a SINGLE solid argument to actually support that, and when challenged, gets personal.

I never addressed him, let alone wanted to destroy him (please don't be ridiculous!) -his damnation of heat mats, that's what I addressed.

But who cares, as long ad we are all nice and easy in the face of stupidity.

Incredible.
Ok, let's address your rudeness:

"(please don't be ridiculous!)" - I what way is that sentence necessary and adressing your point? It's only used to put your "opponent " down - unnecessary rudeness.

"in the face of stupidity." - I what way is that part of the sentence necessary and adressing your point? It's only used to put yout "opponent " down - unnecessary rudeness.

And these are also personal attacks, whether you want to accept it or not, meaning you just seem to be unable to make an argument without getting personal.

Unnecessary rudeness and personal attacks have the side effect that people will get pissed off and don't listen to your arguments anymore - something you've just experienced. If you want to be heard change your tone and maybe just skip those little remarks that have nothing to do with your arguments and are just in there to put other people down.

cold blood

Staff member
Again, most people just find it easier to keep at room temp.. Most don't measure humidity as we rely on our knowledge and feeling when to add water and how much. Im not saying that it's useless to monitor the humidity and all.. Just that it can be avoided if you have discipline and knowledge of what the requirements of the T's you're keeping are. And for all my slings I would probably have to build a greenhouse if I wanted to have the humidity on record :D
then i will say it....its pointless and useless to measure humidity...you want a t myth.. there it is...humidity numbers.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Ok, let's address your rudeness:

"(please don't be ridiculous!)" - I what way is that sentence necessary and adressing your point?
Because it described it most accurately.
What you claimed (me wanting to destroy him), is flat out ridiculous, since I initially only addressed WHAT he said, nit HIM.

"in the face of stupidity." - I what way is that part of the sentence necessary and adressing your point?
It's a simple fact. Putting heat mats in the same league ad handling or hybrids while being unable to differentiate that not the mats are the problem but the wrong use, is stupid.

So, do we want to finally rename the thread to "Kendricks is mean, grab your pitchforks!" or is this still about heat mats? If you have an issue with me, PM me. And when will you go tell him off? He initiated this, if you'd care to read carefully, my tone shifted after I realized he's only trying to evade me calling him out on his claims.

So much for being neutral, eh?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I never said that the 3 NOs are things that should be avoided. ( although I believe that) I said that if you post in favour of them youre likely to get negative feedback.

boina

Lady of the mites
Because it described it most accurately.
What you claimed (me wanting to destroy him), is flat out ridiculous, since I initially only addressed WHAT he said, nit HIM.

It's a simple fact. Putting heat mats in the same league ad handling or hybrids while being unable to differentiate that not the mats are the problem but the wrong use, is stupid.

So, do we want to finally rename the thread to "Kendricks is mean, grab your pitchforks!" or is this still about heat mats? If you have an issue with me, PM me. And when will you go tell him off? He initiated this, if you'd care to read carefully, my tone shifted after I realized he's only trying to evade me calling him out on his claims.

So much for being neutral, eh?
QED.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I never said that the 3 NOs are things that should be avoided. ( although I believe that) I said that if you post in favour of them youre likely to get negative feedback.
Oh is that why you desperately tried to find even the tiniest argument against heat mats?
You literally said heat mats are bad because you gotta switch them on/off - what!?

Also, I don't buy it, since the complete post containing your 3 no's does support them:
Every now and then the new forum users need to be told what are the 3 big NOs when it comes to posts here. They are as follows: 1. heat mats 2. handling and 3. hybrids. Post in favour of those and you'll most likely get torn apart. ;) And I don't mean this as an assault to anyone. We are here to advise in favour of the animals and sometimes emotions get the best of us. We see mangled and severely injured tarantulas due to bad husbandry and handling much too often here.. Many times we could explain things in a more kindly fashion, but sometimes we need to ensure that the new keepers get the message. I personally am in favour of a kind explanation, because we all know that many Ts are bought in LPSs and the caresheets there are beyond horrible. Sometimes, though, the new keepers get smart with us here. You don't belong in this group of people, but don't get offended if you get yelled at. This is how we learn. :)
You may be successful with this with others, but don't blame me for what you said - that lies in your responsibility alone.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Wot? I never said this is why they are bad.. Thats an inconvenience.. I think you have the problem with the language and reading implications. Show me where I specifically said the mats are bad because you have to regulate them.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Didn't know this topic would lead to WW3 did ya? ;)
No idea. wow. goodness guys. I know that heat mats aren't used conventionally for Ts. I do use a thermostat, turn of the heat mat every night, and check water dishes/substrate moisture daily. From what I gather that's all I need to do to be using them safely. I haven't had any issues.

@Kendricks I quoted the 3 nos in my original post at the top.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Wot? I never said this is why they are bad.. Thats an inconvenience.. I think you have the problem with the language and reading implications. Show me where I specifically said the mats are bad because you have to regulate them.
You used that as part of your argument against heat mats - and that's the point. "inconvenience", "bad", "from hell" - semantics!
It's clear what you said.

That being said, I'm done with this nonsense.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
You used that as part of your argument against heat mats - and that's the point. "inconvenience", "bad", "from hell" - semantics!
It's clear what you said.

That being said, I'm done with this nonsense.
That's true. I used it as a part of my argument to show that they are not really optimal for use with tarantulas. Over and out.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
wow, one of the first big debates i didnt participate in. i feel left out.. :(;)

OP, i believe heat mats can be used if you have a single large tarantula and dont plan on getting more, which isnt very likely lets be honest. use a stat, timer, and make sure its not even touching the tank, keep it like 6" off. they are meant for reptiles who like hotspots at least in the low 90s. not for tarantulas who are comfortable at 70. its a lot of work to ensure your spiders are comfortable, a space heater is the better alternative in almost every way.

Last edited: