Heat mat help please

david booth

Arachnosquire
Hey there guys. I'm david and a brand new member from Nottingham, UK
I have question about my heat setup. And any help will be greatly appreciated.
I have a 3x1x1ft glass terririum with two sliding doors for a lid. Inside are two 7-8 cm H.spinifer forest scorpions. The exact same ones are my profile pic. I have 7-9 cm of peat / soil for sub. And loads of hides/decor/artificial plants Inside. I have a problem though with my heat mat. I think it's a 13w mat. But my thermomater is saying it's only 22c inside that's roughly 70f I'm not sure tbh. I know they prefer 26-28c 80f I mist everyday and it gets very humid as the glass condensates and you can barely see Inside ( when this happens I open the top and wipe it off) this doesn't happen Often only if I seal the tank to crank hmidity up. Do I need a bigger heat mat/higher wattage?? Thankyou In advance

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
Hey there guys. I'm david and a brand new member from Nottingham, UK
I have question about my heat setup. And any help will be greatly appreciated.
I have a 3x1x1ft glass terririum with two sliding doors for a lid. Inside are two 7-8 cm H.spinifer forest scorpions. The exact same ones are my profile pic. I have 7-9 cm of peat / soil for sub. And loads of hides/decor/artificial plants Inside. I have a problem though with my heat mat. I think it's a 13w mat. But my thermomater is saying it's only 22c inside that's roughly 70f I'm not sure tbh. I know they prefer 26-28c 80f I mist everyday and it gets very humid as the glass condensates and you can barely see Inside ( when this happens I open the top and wipe it off) this doesn't happen Often only if I seal the tank to crank hmidity up. Do I need a bigger heat mat/higher wattage?? Thankyou In advance
Probably. 36"×12"×12" is a big tank. My biggest is 30"×12"×12" and it took two 16w heat pads, basically beside each other, to get it to temperature. On one end. Definitely get a second one or a larger one for one end. Or maybe think about a heat lamp and a 25w infrared heat bulb on one end. I use a digital thermometer probe I can place at ground level to check temps. It seems to be working so far. From what you said you probably are too. So move it around and if 22c is the warmest on the 'hot' side, then yes that's too cold. Be fine on the cold side though.

If they're hugging the heat pad, they're cold. If they're scrambling on the cold side, they're hot. Can be tricky to find the perfect balance. Good luck.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Thankyou guys appreciate your Input
I'll get the bigger mat with a stat and set it to 28ish. and then look Into setting a bulb up. The scorps seem happy enough I'll get some pics of them and there tank tonight and post. Is the tank steaming up a problem, it's obviously the moisture rising from substrate and I've been told as long as it's a little damp and not soggy it's fine. I have some stones In there with a small amount of moss on them that I'm trying Introduce to the tank and see if I can get it to carpet the floor with the moss.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'll get the bigger mat with a stat and set it to 28ish. and then look Into setting a bulb up. The scorps seem happy enough I'll get some pics of them and there tank tonight and post. Is the tank steaming up a problem, it's obviously the moisture rising from substrate and I've been told as long as it's a little damp and not soggy it's fine. I have some stones In there with a small amount of moss on them that I'm trying Introduce to the tank and see if I can get it to carpet the floor with the moss.
Depending on where you place the stat you might have to set it higher than 28. I place my stats right on the mat or on the glass touching the mat. Obviously the mat reaches the desired temp and cuts off. But it's only the desired temp on the mat/glass not a little further out. Just have a play. You'll be wanting a temperature gradient.

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
Steaming up a bit is fine. You hit the nail on the head, damp but not soaking. You know there's AFS's that can actually swim eh. Maybe try wetter on the 'cold' side. The 'hot' side will naturally be dryer. If you give them options, they'll find their comfortable spot.

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
Depending on where you place the stat you might have to set it higher than 28. I place my stats right on the mat or on the glass touching the mat. Obviously the mat reaches the desired temp and cuts off. But it's only the desired temp on the mat/glass not a little further out. Just have a play. You'll be wanting a temperature gradient.
Couldn't agree more. It'll take some playing with, but you definitely want a temperature gradient.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Rather than editing it. Of course I mean the temp probe of the stat when I typed stat.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Thanks alot guys very helpful. I'll sort it out and update with some pics. The goal is eventually to breed them I've had a look at there pestines and I think they're different but I wouldn't consider my self an expert. Thanks again guys

david booth

Arachnosquire
Hey guys thanks for all the useful Info the original heat mat was a 300mm square 13 watt mat. I bought a 450 x 300 21 watt mat last night and replaced the smaller one. Originally the smaller one was underneath the tank. I'm thinkimg about using both mats and using them on the sides of the tank one on the right side and one on the back right corner so the hot spot has two mats on it I'll check the temp when I get home. What's the best way of attaching a matt to the side. Is it just sticky tape. Also as I said earlier my tank steams up alot. Would this effect a heat lamp?? Obviously water and electric is a no-no. I'd have to make a wooden mantle aswell to fix it. Thanks again guys

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
It's getting alot of condensation probably because of the heat mat under the tank. It should settle now you've got them both on the side. It could also be a lack of ventilation. Humid enclosures need good ventilation to stop the build up of stagnant air. It does seem counterintuitive but it is required.

david booth

Arachnosquire
It's getting alot of condensation probably because of the heat mat under the tank. It should settle now you've got them both on the side. It could also be a lack of ventilation. Humid enclosures need good ventilation to stop the build up of stagnant air. It does seem counterintuitive but it is required.
Thanks dude. Im Not an expert, obviously I've done my research but I automatically assumed that as heat rises, underneath the tank would be ideal?? Do you always fix your heat mat to the side of your tanks?? Is there any other benifift behind this, and is it just sellotape to fix it on the side ?? Thanks again buddy. Sorry about all the questions I have been through the forum's via search but couldn't find much ?? Thanks dude

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks dude. Im Not an expert, obviously I've done my research but I automatically assumed that as heat rises, underneath the tank would be ideal?? Do you always fix your heat mat to the side of your tanks?? Is there any other benifift behind this, and is it just sellotape to fix it on the side ?? Thanks again buddy. Sorry about all the questions I have been through the forum's via search but couldn't find much ?? Thanks dude
Scorpions and T's will instinctively dig down to get away from the heat. So if they do that they'll obviously get warmer. You can also get thermal blocking where the heat can't dissipate through the substrate and it gets dangerously hot.

I attach heat mats with tape and put (kingspan an insulated board) behind them to direct all the heat into the enclosure.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Scorpions and T's will instinctively dig down to get away from the heat. So if they do that they'll obviously get warmer. You can also get thermal blocking where the heat can't dissipate through the substrate and it gets dangerously hot.

I attach heat mats with tape and put (kingspan an insulated board) behind them to direct all the heat into the enclosure.
So I've moved the tank around and set the heat mats up as shown. I'm losing alot of heat out of the back of the mats though. This kingspan stuff you use...Would a thin polystyrene square do the same thing ?? Taped to the tank and insulating the heat mats??

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
So I've moved the tank around and set the heat mats up as shown. I'm losing alot of heat out of the back of the mats though. This kingspan stuff you use...Would a thin polystyrene square do the same thing ?? Taped to the tank and insulating the heat mats??
Yes it'll do the same it just won't be as effective. But it'll make a difference.

david booth

Arachnosquire
i thought heat mats were as bad for scorpions as they are for tarantulas...?
Why would they be bad?? Have you had a bad experience ?? I've read there not very good underneath the tank. But from what I read alot of people use mats

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Why would they be bad?? Have you had a bad experience ?? I've read there not very good underneath the tank. But from what I read alot of people use mats
i read a few posts how they are bad for scorps. since you cant regulate the heat it gives off it can malfunction and burn your invert.
as for tarantulas, they are plainly terrible in every possible way. mats are more popular in Europe, not very much on the states.