Heat lamp for my tarantula?!

AraneaeRosie

Arachnopeon
I live in Sweden ^^ Winters here can get nasty, right now in my room it's around 19-21c and im currently using a 40 watt lamp between two of my tarantulas cages ( my Rosea and Smithi )
(The lamp isnt ontop of the cage but like 5-10cm above the cages)
My smithi's cage has way more ventilation then my roseas, so if you stick ur hand in the rosie cage then you'll definetly feel a heat difference, Also my Smithi has been laying in her 'hole'/house more often...
Is this heat lamp hurting my T's? or is it fine to let it stay like this? I turn off the lamp at nights. Me using a heat lamp is a desperate attempt to make my T's eat...ever since they arrived at my place they havent eaten for around 4-5 months

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Remove the heat lamps, and invest in a space heater. NEVER use a heat lamp with a spider.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Theraphosidae doesn't need a lamp or else, they need something more powerful, like Solarium devices. Didn't you know that detail?

Lady, remove that lamp (or what else you are using) and throw that out of your window, possibly in the head of some Sweden Jihadist refugee seeker.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not even mention that, 21° C at night, doesn't harm at all Theraphosidae. In Winter I keep my T's (and always did this) at 20/21° C night (drop) day 24/25° C.

Buy a space heather, as suggested above, or raise, if you can, the central heathing device. Or change nation. But don't use lamps or something.

AraneaeRosie

Arachnopeon
Okay thanks guys! :D any tips on how to make a T eat? I'm starting to get worried about my little rosie, I love her too much!

cold blood

Staff member
Okay thanks guys! :D any tips on how to make a T eat? I'm starting to get worried about my little rosie, I love her too much!
You don't make a tarantula eat, they either do, or they don't.....your species are both good at reserving their energies and are capable of long fasts, their food requirements are low, especially the rose hair.

These species are fine in the mid to upper 60's, as long as you live in a house, with a furnace, you shouldn't need additional heat....If you think you do, heating the room with a space heater as suggested is the way to go. Heat mats are dangerous for ts, heat lamps are even worse.