Having a baby? (PICTURE)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I noticed this on one of my female roaches today, it is a weird thing protruding from it's "butt" area. I thought it was mabey having a babies but from what I've seen the babies are white. Sooo what do you think this is?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If she has had it sticking out for over an hour now, it is a dry end of an ootheca. If it was out for only a few minutes, she was probably just rotating a perfectly fine ootheca. If it has been sticking out for a while I suggest holding her and slowly, firmly, and gently pulling out the rest of the ooth. She may just abort it on her own but the rest of the brood sac might come out with it which would result in sterility and (most likely) death.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If she has had it sticking out for over an hour now, it is a dry end of an ootheca. If it was out for only a few minutes, she was probably just rotating a perfectly fine ootheca. If it has been sticking out for a while I suggest holding her and slowly, firmly, and gently pulling out the rest of the ooth. She may just abort it on her own but the rest of the brood sac might come out with it which would result in sterility and (most likely) death.
Not sure how long it was like that before I found it, but it is still like that. So I should pull it out!? will there be babies if I pull it out? I'm a noob and my colony hasn't even started breeding yet.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
Yeah. The brood sack thing is gross. Dont let it get that far! I had one female that lived for a month after she pushed it out. The other roaches eventually ate her though.

No babies.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah. The brood sack thing is gross. Dont let it get that far! I had one female that lived for a month after she pushed it out. The other roaches eventually ate her though.

No babies.
WAIT? I'm really confused about this and feel kinda stupid:wall:. So I SHOULD pull this thing out of her?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WAIT? I'm really confused about this and feel kinda stupid:wall:. So I SHOULD pull this thing out of her?
Yes.

Normally the female will retract it inside her completely. The female, in your case, failed to retract it (for unknown reasons or because of a deformity on the ooth, small piece of debris stuck on it, etc) and it will therefore stay like that. Most females will drop the ooth on their own however if it is already mostly inside her she probably won't. The area around her vent that is kept open by the ooth that is sticking out can easily be infected. I saw a female hisser with an ooth sticking out that actually had phorid fly maggots that infested her vent; it was not a pretty sight.
If you manually pull it out and do it carefully and slowly you will not interrupt or harm the brood sack and she will make another ooth sooner or later, depending mainly on how long ago it was she made this one.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright I pulled it out, it came out without too much trouble and nothing else came out with it. Is this what was supposed to come out?